Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

I think the key is the "export Everything" and then change it back otherwise I think it might interfere with the calculation/export rate rate from solar (I think) haven't got it enabled yet to have a play.

They did get back to me today after I sent them an email yesterday along with the DNO approval letter. Now replied back just by just filling the columns in. Looks a bit AI generated though but lets see.
Alberto is the assistant who helped me out.
You literally just need to tell him what your export limit is (in my case it’s 8kW)
He didn’t ask any questions :)

Reactions: Js1977
Upvote 0
Same here, emailed them on the address mentioned earlier in the thread and they replied within a few hours asking for my DNO approved export limit and what was the limit configured for the solar export system. I wasn’t sure what the second question was after so I phoned my installer and have now replied to the email. Hopefully they will be pretty quick at looking at it.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0
My local EE/3G mast is currently unplugged for UKPN electrical diversion work:

20231119_121705_DRO.jpg

Consequently my SMETS2 meter is having days of no receive/transmit/any signal and is ineligible for the second event, likely Mon 27th.

Upvote 0
I’m in the same situation and checked their FAQs
If you have that ability and can export during the time slot you’ll get the £2.25p/kWh for any electricity exported, so still worth it for us.
That’s what I’ll do, let’s see what happens.

I was suspecting (and hoping) this would be the case. On the last Savings Session I exported 5 kWh in that hour. (Which is about all I'm getting for a days solar at moment).

So in theory, for that 5kWh stored Solar, exported during the Savings Session hour, I should get £11.25 ...which then buys me back 150 kWh (at 7.5p) for free.

Seems like a gift. Anybody been paid yet, lol, for discharging battery storage during Saving Sessions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We run two heat pumps and rarely exceed the 4kw discharge limit of our inverter. That said, we are quite disciplined with running high demand devices and just schedule them; easy enough. Our peak demand would be around 11 - 12kw at night when we're charging the car and batteries. We don't use the car too much but even so, we're set to be around £200 surplus on our energy bill for the year which includes our gas usage (cooking and hot water). The export payment on Flux built up around £800 surplus over summer which will easily see us through winter. Next step is decent cavity wall insulation and then a heat-pump water tank, but after that any additional work is very marginal and paybacks start to look a bit daft.

Oh and still waiting to see what the last savings session yielded - not much more than a fiver I guess.

Upvote 0
Coming from a European country where three-phase is ubiquitous I wish it was as readily available here…
Don’t you get charged according to supply rating though? So you pay more for being able to consume more power in addition to cost of energy?

I guess it’s how the standing charge is priced. In England it once wasn’t uncommon to pay a standing charge for each metered phase.

Upvote 0