Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

how did you push back 3kwh if you didn't push back to the grid?

fyi Givenergy worked for me. I don't have SEG but octopus gave me my export MPAN number (if you have a smart meter you should have one) and that worked. Octopus couldn't use it as they require an export tariff in place but that seems to just be their admin, not a requirement of the DFS
You can send to the grid without an export MPAN. The energy sent won't be registered.

Upvote 0
Surely it's still worth topping up at 29p/kWh and discharge at (presumably) £2.2?
maybe.gif

Upvote 0
how did you push back 3kwh if you didn't push back to the grid?

fyi Givenergy worked for me. I don't have SEG but octopus gave me my export MPAN number (if you have a smart meter you should have one) and that worked. Octopus couldn't use it as they require an export tariff in place but that seems to just be their admin, not a requirement of the DFS

I did push back to the grid. I use a Victron based system so set my grid setpoint at -3000W so the system was zeroing out my own electric usage and sending back roughly 3kwh to the grid.

My histroical usage during the DFS period will always have been pretty much zero as I'm always on batteries at this time, and I assumed that by sending back 3kwh it might register as a "savings" as I'm now putting back into the grid. But 100Green calculated my savings as 0.09kwh somehow - though theres no explanation as to compared to what and paid me £1 :)

Its a shame it didn't work - I assume they are doing their maths as 0/-3 = 0 !

Upvote 0
I did push back to the grid. I use a Victron based system so set my grid setpoint at -3000W so the system was zeroing out my own electric usage and sending back roughly 3kwh to the grid.

My histroical usage during the DFS period will always have been pretty much zero as I'm always on batteries at this time, and I assumed that by sending back 3kwh it might register as a "savings" as I'm now putting back into the grid. But 100Green calculated my savings as 0.09kwh somehow - though theres no explanation as to compared to what and paid me £1 :)

Its a shame it didn't work - I assume they are doing their maths as 0/-3 = 0 !

its possible they can't read your export meter?

Upvote 0