Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

They may have fixed both issues potentially. If so, leaves me at a loss for why Octopus aren’t calculating correctly. They have been within 8 OctoPoints of all my own calculations to date. Plus just noticed I am in Gold position for the League of 17th Jan :)
I’m not in this league table. How do you get on? From my savings points I should be around 105 for jan 17th. Not that I’m competitive……….

Upvote 0
I’ve already checked the codebase to see what it is doing and it is doing things right, so yes, I do trust the approach of the developer.

There’s a separate ID used for the league table submissions. The URL is amended client side once entered and applied, can be bookmarked, but always come clean to the site to not include in within your GET request that could be logged by a server somewhere.

This app never stores your API key. If you have any concerns you can check out the source code for the app, and please by all means 'Regenerate' your key at the link above after using this.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you've managed to access the running code? And anything you put in the URL is going to be logged by the webserver regardless of the code running.

I'm not saying you need to trust the developer's code, more that you need to trust that the developer won't do anything you wouldn't want with your key.

And yes, I'm being ever so very picky with the above.

Upvote 0
Just saw the 200mw requirement and zero guaranteed acceptance. I read that as an opportunity to see how low bids will go for a small requirement on a day where the outcome really doesn't matter. Clearly at 200mw we're going to have energy providers who need to sit this one out.

Upvote 0
1706872887557.png

Well, this is news to me…

Upvote 0
A blistering 157 MW and 161 MW procured. Starting to wonder if they’ll ask people to do this without reward at all.

[Settled figures come after the event] - or £1.89/kWh reward as I made it.

Breaking news - It’s going to be £1.75/kWh! (with Octopus only taking 7.6% cut this time)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's up on Octopus at £1.75/kWh, so clearly they were included in the session, and got a slightly better price than average (Others have suggested that they might not be taking their customary 25% for this one)

(Edit, seems that the utilisation report has been updated, but the summary page doesn't show a correct last update... Lots of suppliers sitting this one out after bidding around the £3/kWh mark and being rejected. Which is probably the whole point of this specific test. Looks like octopus bid £1.75 and are passing it all on to the customers for this event)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Appeared in online website Octoplus page, plus also on live socials just now.

One 888,888 OctoPoints drawn prize (£1,111.11) plus "Introducing streaks - you’ll get 8 more chances to win for each Session you join in a row” plus 100 OctoPoints ‘STREAK BONUS’ (in shouty caps for some reason) so presumably not for those opting in the first time today?

My own results for tonight will be 28,245 OctoPoints worth £35.30

• Love
Reactions: PITA and phil4
Upvote 0