Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Got an update...

Screenshot_20240219_231638_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240219_231733_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: phil4
Upvote 0
You can email [email protected] with your gateway serial number and telling them what your maximum permitted export is (your DNO should have told you that).
Tesla will then enable Export from battery.
EXACTLY THAT! Requested them to do it, provided a simple piece of informatoon (DNO approved export limit), and hey presto! Job's a good 'un. J,

Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0
Wel
After some to-ing and fro-ing with the support email for my SAJ equipment they have finally updated the firmware on my inverter (it can only be pushed!!!), and since them doing so I can now discharge my battery to the grid.

Bring on the next saving session! ⚡
Well that joy was short lived. The firmware update now seems to not be working using the windows I specify, and the battery is charging from the Grid during the day - even though my window only states 23:30-05:30. Does it under "Self-Consumption Mode" too.

I thought it was the weather, but then its carried on charging with the PV having a surplus.

PV: 629w
Load: 249w

Battery instead of charging at the 380w difference is charging at 642w and pulling 262w from the grid.

I'm so peed off currently, fix one problem to install another, and its not like if they sort the firmware I can update it myself as the firmware can only be pushed to the device(s). This problem of course is costing me money, as its drawing from the grid during peak time even though I haven't asked it to.

The above doesn't seem all that bad as its only a couple of hundred what's, but its fluctuated all the way up to 1.2kW at one point this morning. And the whole point of having solar is to not need to rely on purchase from the grid.

I've gone back to the manufacturer but their support is in China, and they aren't great either.

Edit: Just to add, I'm connected to the inverter via bluetooth so the numbers I am seeing are live data and it is a consistent pull from grid.

• Informative
Reactions: Pink Duck
Upvote 0
Wel

Well that joy was short lived. The firmware update now seems to not be working using the windows I specify, and the battery is charging from the Grid during the day - even though my window only states 23:30-05:30. Does it under "Self-Consumption Mode" too.

I thought it was the weather, but then its carried on charging with the PV having a surplus.

PV: 629w
Load: 249w

Battery instead of charging at the 380w difference is charging at 642w and pulling 262w from the grid.

I'm so peed off currently, fix one problem to install another, and its not like if they sort the firmware I can update it myself as the firmware can only be pushed to the device(s). This problem of course is costing me money, as its drawing from the grid during peak time even though I haven't asked it to.

The above doesn't seem all that bad as its only a couple of hundred what's, but its fluctuated all the way up to 1.2kW at one point this morning. And the whole point of having solar is to not need to rely on purchase from the grid.

I've gone back to the manufacturer but their support is in China, and they aren't great either.
Fo what it's worth (and I know it's meagre consolation for you), at least it is an experience with that particular manufacturer that will help the rest of us inform future advice and decisions.
Fingers crossed you'll get things sorted eventually!

Upvote 0
Fo what it's worth (and I know it's meagre consolation for you), at least it is an experience with that particular manufacturer that will help the rest of us inform future advice and decisions.
Fingers crossed you'll get things sorted eventually!
Very true, I would recommend people avoid SAJ Electric for Solar installs. I didn't really have a choice as I went with a national installed, it was during a shortage of solar equipment and so we were provided this, with a bigger battery as a consolation.

If I wasn't still paying for the install, I am at the point where I would be ripping it out and replacing with something better. Sadly I still have a fair way to go to pay this install of yet.

Upvote 0
Don't the installers share some level of responsibility for the correct operation of the system?
They are less responsive than the chaps in china. I used a national installer (Project Solar UK/Project Better Energy) so once they have installed and have your money you get very little out of them.

I also struggle to see how they might be able to assist with this as I think that (again!) it is a firmware/software fault as it has only been doing it today since the manufacturer pushed the firmware update to sort the discharge to grid issue.

When looking on the inverter now though, if I (try and) go into G100 Setting I am faced with "Please update the latest firmware program", so I wonder if another element needs some form of firmware update and that this mismatch is causing the issue. That said I thought the BMS was all that controlled the battery and it didn't care about grid and G100 etc, so it should just go "oh you are 50w short, let me get that for you" instead of being 50w short for the load and pulling 150w from the grid so the battery could have 100w to charge.

Its as if the inverter or BMS are just ignoring my Self-Consumption Mode and just doing wtf they like.

Upvote 0
If it is as bad as you say, and fixes aren't done or aren't done in a reasonably timeframe, I'd be using a solicitor to basically say it's not fit for purpose, and getting the installer to remove it and refund you.

You obviously need to allow time to rectify, but it doesn't matter one jot about the manufacturer, it was the installer which proposed it and installed it. If what they installed is defective, your claim is with them.

Reactions: ringi
Upvote 0