Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Intelligent Go vs Fixed rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally found Octopus Tracker cheaper than IO and Go. But I noticed today the price had increased a little on the Gas and Electric, so maybe time to change to a fixed rate. It all depends on how much you charge your car and what you use in the day. Last time my IO term ended, the price had gone up a lot for my offer, that's why I changed.

I personally found Octopus Tracker cheaper than IO and Go. But I noticed today the price had increased a little on the Gas and Electric, so maybe time to change to a fixed rate. It all depends on how much you charge your car and what you use in the day. Last time my IO term ended, the price had gone up a lot for my offer, that's why I changed.
With winter coming, Tracker is most likely going to go up significantly

Definitely see it increase, when it starts breaching the fixed/flexible prices then I'll swap over, since Tracker has no term on it.
It doesn't, but you can't join tracker again for 9 months as per the T&C's.
I guess they don't want people arbitraging it too often and play the seasonality...

So either hold on to it, be ready to pay a little more in the upcoming months, but benefit from the savings in spring, or stay with the common folk standard variable until at least July if you're leaving now...

I can almost guarantee you the fixed rates will be worse. IO is about the cheapest 'average' pence/kwh once you've averaged your usage across the peak/off peak. Especially if you have any kind of EV charging and can move some household use to the overnight window. I doubt anything Octopus offers as a tariff could match it other than two things

- tracker but its a gamble as we go into winter. might be some cheap periods with good windy weather but also likely some expensive ones if we lean on gas stores.
- Agile if you want to stay up all night plotting how to spread your usage to only use grid in the cheap slots (a little easier with a home battery but still not simple)

Even then you're probably only able to save a little and not worth the aggro IMO.

It doesn't, but you can't join tracker again for 9 months as per the T&C's.
I guess they don't want people arbitraging it too often and play the seasonality...

So either hold on to it, be ready to pay a little more in the upcoming months, but benefit from the savings in spring, or stay with the common folk standard variable until at least July if you're leaving now...
But leaving now permits rejoining sooner then leaving later.

IO is about the cheapest 'average' pence/kwh once you've averaged your usage across the peak/off peak.
IO doesn't come remotely close to Tracker for me. Two of us work from home & I do very little mileage in my M3 at the moment as a result of not having to commute, so the high daytime rate makes it a non-starter. Even offsetting big appliance use to the IO window doesn't really make a dent. I used to do that when I was on the very cheap GoFaster tariff, so I have a good record of long term daytime vs nighttime consumption figures.

It's quite surprising how much usage you need to offset into the IO window to make it worth it, IMO.

Very difficult (read 'impossible'!) to objectively answer op's question without more information about their usage.

Everyone is different.

For us, 3 EV's to charge, plus solar panels to reduce daytime grid usage means Intelligent Go works well.