Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Moderator comment - threads merged and renamed from "Octopus and smart meters..", "Octopus Energy... disappointed" and "Octopus install ... fabulous!"

Just for some balance (as I saw some negativity on another thread about them and appointments). When I moved over to them a few weeks back, I did so knowing I had a non working smart meter, to which Bulb said there was nothing they could do (refused an engineer visit), other than wait for a software update which wasn't available and with no end date :rolleyes:.

Spoke to Octopus about it when I signed up, they said let's see if them taking ownership of the account would fix it, two weeks later it hasn't (not a huge surprise), called them this morning and I'm booked in for a fix/replacement on the 3rd of December :cool:

Need to get off this interim tariff, so looking forward to getting this resolved

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Roy W.
I'd been waiting for a smart meter appointment for a couple of months. Anyway, just contacted them to see what's going on and why no contact given my primary reason for moving was to get the Go tarrif. Got a link straight back to book an appointment. There were loads of available dates in my area in the next few weeks. So, if you are sat around waiting for them to contact you it probably worth hassling them.

Reactions: DaveW
I have to say, I also had a good experience of recently switching from Ovo to Octopus.

Last week I was moved onto Octopus standard tariff and I then called them up (was actually able to speak to a human!) to say that I would like to to change to the Octopus Go tariff. They said that my SMETS2 meter was still in the process of switching from Ovo so I could not change tariff yet. Having read a fair number of forum comments, I wrongly assumed this meant that nothing would happen for a long while and I would need to call up again to initiate a switch.

Today I get an email telling me to log in and I can accept the terms for my switch to Octopus Go tariff, as of 0030 tomorrow morning I will be charging at 5p/kwh.

From this I have learnt that Octopus is a lot easier to deal with than any of the previous energy suppliers I have used. I got to speak to a human who was helpful and actually followed up on my enquiry. This type of service could revolutionize the UK energy industry!

I'd been waiting for a smart meter appointment for a couple of months. Anyway, just contacted them to see what's going on and why no contact given my primary reason for moving was to get the Go tarrif. Got a link straight back to book an appointment. There were loads of available dates in my area in the next few weeks. So, if you are sat around waiting for them to contact you it probably worth hassling them.

i was also sat waiting for them to contact me having filled out the waiting list. Contacted them and essentially they said to keep checking the link where it says all appointments are gone. They said appointments are added towards the end of the week. Checked yesterday lunchtime and there was a bunch available. All booked for 30th a little bit late for my 25th delivery but I’ll take it