Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Tariffs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worth noting that I'm actually charged less than the advertised rates, however that works. On all my bills since I changed tarrifs I'm charged 13.61p for daytime, 4.76p for overnight and 23.81p standing carge (Octopus Go).

Those figures above should be 14.29p, 5p and 25p according to Octopus Energy based on my postcode.

Small differences, but lower nonetheless.

Reactions: DaddyCool
Worth noting that I'm actually charged less than the advertised rates, however that works. On all my bills since I changed tarrifs I'm charged 13.61p for daytime, 4.76p for overnight and 23.81p standing carge (Octopus Go).

Those figures above should be 14.29p, 5p and 25p according to Octopus Energy based on my postcode.

Suspect there's 5% VAT to be added to those??

The difference in prices is due to the 5% VAT. The Octopus quote includes the VAT, the billing figures don't, it's added at the end.

4.76p + VAT = 5p.

Take a look at the Octopus Tracker Tariff...

You don't need a smart meter to be on it, and this is the current price for the Eastern region for today...
(inc. VAT)
upload_2020-4-27_13-25-46.png

Reactions: Rooster6655
Take a look at the Octopus Tracker Tariff...

You don't need a smart meter to be on it, and this is the current price for the Eastern region for today...
(inc. VAT)
View attachment 536322
Wowsers - that's much cheaper! Is this a particularly good day?

@DaddyCool - above on your usage:
Elec - £64.58 (vs £80.80 on SO)
Gas - £62.44 (vs £94.20 on SO).

Would take circa 2 weeks to switch and then you'd be on Octopus if you then wanted to get a smart meter installed / move onto Go/Agile tariff.

Nick

Wowsers - that's much cheaper! Is this a particularly good day?

All the info here except the link supplied seems not to have the specific baseline data but will show historical trends How is the price of the Octopus Tracker calculated?

If you are not on a smart meter, costs are apportioned as follows
How we calculate daily usage
Our smart meter rollout will start in the next few months and until then we'll use the meter readings you give us, and apportion usage to each day using the official Profile Coefficients for electricity, and Annual Load Profiles for gas. We make projections with the official estimated consumption figures for each meter (known as EAC for electricity and AQ for gas), or in their absence, the estimates customers give us. The more meter readings you give us, the more accurate we can be.

Clear as mud!

Last edited:
Trying to sign up for the Tracker (while I wait for a smart meter). The website doesn’t seem to allow this? It only seems to offer Super Green, Fixed 12M and Flexible Octopus.

Ah, just read....There is a waiting list for tracker.
Give them a call. You never know. You may have to initially switch to one of their standard tariffs and then be able to move to the tracker

Are there different versions of the Octopus Tracker? I’ve just moved onto it today. I see above Mark T above is on Tracker V1. My tariff says Tracker SILVER-2017-1.

My standing charges are slightly cheaper for electricity @16.88 inv vat but the electricity is more at 11.76kWh inc vat. Looking at Octopus today and the tracker is standing charge 16.88 inc vat and 10.71kWh inc vat.

Just wondering why the difference? My tracker is not due to start until May 14th so I wonder if they’ve just given me an estimate?

Just got my first Go bill after 54 days.

57 'pages' of bill, one page per day listing a graph and every 30 minute interval - can this be turned off? I've pretty much got this on website anyway so its unnecessary.

Nice touch was the average kWh price for the duration - with minimal charging at 5p (approx equivalent to 2 full charges) due to lockdown, but quite a few 4kWh days due to solar, my average unit price for the 54 days was 10.22p, looks to be ex vat. so 10.73p inc vat. That makes a few quick and dirty tarrif comparisons a bit easier.

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
The handy part about having it in the bill is that as a PDF it is effectively permanent and not dependent on the website or the live database.

No idea if they will turn that part off if you request it, but at least it isn't in paper form...

I have to say I am very impressed with Octopus. I switched to Octopus from Lumo (part of Ovo) on 21 April and by 25 April I had been switched to Go. I can now see my half hourly gas and electricity usage online starting on 22 April. Despite fitting my smart meters back in May last year and assuring me that they were receiving readings from them, Lumo have only ever shown estimated electricity readings on bills - often way out despite me providing readings online every month! Octopus were excellent at keeping me informed throughout the process. I’ve switched several times in the past and this is by far the smoothest I’ve had so far.

I did top up the car a bit on the cheap Go tariff they other night to check it all worked as programmed ~ it did - but I’ve been doing so little driving recently that the sun has been providing all the required energy!

Reactions: Roy W.
Agile looking more attractive to me if I want to precondition the car before the morning commute, although I'm not commuting at the moment.

I only have an electric car on the circuit so Go has always seemed to be the logical choice, but if my job becomes more remote with random working from home days, it would make sense to get smarter about it.

Does anyone know how easy it is to switch between tariffs? If Agile starts getting worse for my usage, can I easily go back to Go?

I just sent them an Email and they are moving over to Tracker now.
Likewise.
But not only are they doing that for me,but since they had to cancel a smart meter fitting twice, they have refunded me most of the difference fixed green to Agile Jan to March and are recalculating my bills based on the tracker from January. Best energy provider I've been with.

Reactions: Adopado
You can just do the switch online, although I had to then email them as there was a technical problem.

Agile looking more attractive to me if I want to precondition the car before the morning commute, although I'm not commuting at the moment.

I only have an electric car on the circuit so Go has always seemed to be the logical choice, but if my job becomes more remote with random working from home days, it would make sense to get smarter about it.

Does anyone know how easy it is to switch between tariffs? If Agile starts getting worse for my usage, can I easily go back to Go?