TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Odd scheduled charging behavior

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by wwu123, May 4, 2017.

1. wwu123

wwu123 Member

Fairly new Model S owner here just for a few weeks. Since we don't drive too many miles, I've only charged a few times (about once a week). Saw some weird behavior with scheduled charging yesterday.

Last night I plugged in the UMC around 7 pm. I verified in the charging screen that charging is scheduled but not yet on. Teslafi.com also notes the car is in idle and not charging. Since I'm on a TOU plan with my electric utility, I set scheduled charging to start at 9:05 pm just after off-peak begins.

Sometime around 8:10 pm, Teslafi logging drops out for about 17 minutes. However, from my utility meter logs, I see that the car started charging itself at that time, taking a few minutes to ramp up to the full 24A I set. When Teslafi logging resumes at 8:27, it confirms a higher SOC accrued during the missing data period. Since it's just an hour of partial-peak, not peak rates, I just let it keep going.

This morning I disconnect the UMC after a full night of charging. The charging seemed normal except for the abnormal start time. I looked at the charging screen, and see that the charging is still set for 9:05 pm. However, the scheduled charging button is now set to "off". I know that it was set to "on" when I first plugged in the UMC, as it did not just start charging right away.

Has anyone else seen this type of scheduling behavior?

2. Pmeyer1106

Pmeyer1106 Member

I too have just noticed this. I have had my Model S for over four years and only noticed the behavior the last few days. I have mine set to start charging at 1am and it has been starting at an odd time around 5am. I did get a software upgrade to 17.24.28 in the last week or two.I will try a reboot and see if the problem continues.