Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd scheduled charging behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly new Model S owner here just for a few weeks. Since we don't drive too many miles, I've only charged a few times (about once a week). Saw some weird behavior with scheduled charging yesterday.

Last night I plugged in the UMC around 7 pm. I verified in the charging screen that charging is scheduled but not yet on. Teslafi.com also notes the car is in idle and not charging. Since I'm on a TOU plan with my electric utility, I set scheduled charging to start at 9:05 pm just after off-peak begins.

Sometime around 8:10 pm, Teslafi logging drops out for about 17 minutes. However, from my utility meter logs, I see that the car started charging itself at that time, taking a few minutes to ramp up to the full 24A I set. When Teslafi logging resumes at 8:27, it confirms a higher SOC accrued during the missing data period. Since it's just an hour of partial-peak, not peak rates, I just let it keep going.

This morning I disconnect the UMC after a full night of charging. The charging seemed normal except for the abnormal start time. I looked at the charging screen, and see that the charging is still set for 9:05 pm. However, the scheduled charging button is now set to "off". I know that it was set to "on" when I first plugged in the UMC, as it did not just start charging right away.

Has anyone else seen this type of scheduling behavior?

I too have just noticed this. I have had my Model S for over four years and only noticed the behavior the last few days. I have mine set to start charging at 1am and it has been starting at an odd time around 5am. I did get a software upgrade to 17.24.28 in the last week or two.I will try a reboot and see if the problem continues.