Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading that right? The actual odometer increased 12.3 miles for a 1 mile drive? Like the odometer odometer and not something with range. Whoa. That's serious and I would test the heck out of it. That has legal implications.

pics and video, you can't just state stuff like this without some data and facts.

nothing to show at the moment. Clearly, next time I drive somewhere I’ll record the odometer, the readings from “since last charge” and I’ll double check the exact mileage I should have gone.

but for now, just checking if anyone has seen this issue.

nothing to show at the moment. Clearly, next time I drive somewhere I’ll record the odometer, the readings from “since last charge” and I’ll double check the exact mileage I should have gone.

but for now, just checking if anyone has seen this issue.

Going to say no, as it would be huge news, on every media outlet and there would be recalls. What you describe is a HUGE issue with massive legal implications.

most likely you made multiple drives since the last time you charged the car. Every time you put the car in park and get out and back in, the car counts that as a new drive. If you're viewing "since last charged" which will show mileage, it's the sum of all your drives since last charge.

The mileage reported on "since last charged" and the actual odometer are going to be pretty darn accurate. What isn't going to be as accurate is your energy consumption figures and estimated range remaining. That is what's causing the discrepancy, not the distance traveled number.

Search is your friend. Please use it. Tons of posts on range loss.

His range miles dropped 17 miles while his odometer displayed 12.3 miles. Old news in cooler weather. Sheesh. Threads everywhere on this subject.

I consume 1.3 to 1.4 "range" miles for every actual mile I drive. For instance, this morning I consumed 42 range miles driving 30 miles to work.

Reading comprehension lessons.

He is stating he DROVE approximately 2 miles and the ODOMETER says he drove 12.3.

He does confuse the issue by bringing up the range loss, but that is irrelevant.

Reading comprehension lessons.

He is stating he DROVE approximately 2 miles and the ODOMETER says he drove 12.3.

He does confuse the issue by bringing up the range loss, but that is irrelevant.
Yeah, that is indeed what he is saying, but it sure would be nice for the OP confirm that is what they actually mean, since as you mentioned, they brought up range loss, which is irrelevant. Unless the OP is confused.

No, he said his range went down from 287 (90% charge) to 270 after his errand for a loss of ~17 miles (of range) after driving 12.3 actual miles, so 12.3 actual miles X 1.4 (my) consumption multiplier = 17.22. Looks darn near right on to what I experience on a daily basis. I'm not advocating the relevancy of using the range for anything, I'm merely stating what I believe is his concern.

No, he said his range went down from 287 (90% charge) to 270 after his errand for a loss of ~17 miles (of range) after driving 12.3 actual miles, so 12.3 actual miles X 1.4 (my) consumption multiplier = 17.22. Looks darn near right on to what I experience on a daily basis. I'm not advocating the relevancy of using the range for anything, I'm merely stating what I believe is his concern.
They said their range went down, but also stated exactly what @thefortunes quoted. So the OP needs to explain that he meant what you think. As stated, they are claiming the odometer is inaccurate.

Doubling down on the reading comprehension... lol.

He DROVE to an errand 1 mile away
ODOMETER says he drove 12.3 miles
Range loss 17 miles (irrelevant as everyone knows)

Reactions: EA500 and derotam
Let me try again...maybe I can be clearer.

I charged overnight to 90%, showed 287 miles of range.
Ran two errands (stopped for 30 minutes between, no sentry), total distance traveled, just over 1 mile according to google.
Again, I travelled one mile total.
Range went down to 270, the card that says “since last charge” showed 12.3 miles driven.
I did not look at the master odometer before I drove, so I can’t tell you what that showed. Obviously, I’ll look carefully next time.

Let me try again...maybe I can be clearer.

I charged overnight to 90%, showed 287 miles of range.
Ran two errands (stopped for 30 minutes between, no sentry), total distance traveled, just over 1 mile according to google.
Again, I travelled one mile total.
Range went down to 270, the card that says “since last charge” showed 12.3 miles driven.
I did not look at the master odometer before I drove, so I can’t tell you what that showed. Obviously, I’ll look carefully next time.

Very different than what you originally wrote (that the ODOMETER said 12.3 miles driven).

You continue to conflate two issues. Are you disputing the miles driven, or range loss?

If range loss, then read one of a million threads (battery warming, short drives, ambient temps, etc...).

If miles driven, that is the first time I've heard of it. My guess is that your "since last charge" trip meter didn't reset (or the car didn't actually charge last night).

Reactions: EA500
His range miles dropped 17 miles while his odometer displayed 12.3 miles. Old news in cooler weather. Sheesh. Threads everywhere on this subject.

Thats not what OP said though. Op said the ODOMETER showed a trip of 12.3 miles when he only went a mile.

Put me in the "extremely dubious" camp on this, because THAT would be an EXTREMELY HUGE DEAL. I am doubting that the OPs actual odometer (the one that records actual miles driven on the car) increased 12 miles with a 1 mile trip.

Now, energy usage, rated range dropping that much, yes, and that is common and know. ODOMETER, not so much and I frankly dont believe it.

Edit... i see I am repeating things others are saying.

Very unlikely the actual odometer dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.