Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Joshan , @toolman335, @jjrandorin:

I can 100% confirm that Tesla odometer issues caused by software are in fact a real occurrence. I don't know how frequent of an occurrence, or what exactly causes it (Tesla's theory internally is reboot while driving), but it definitely exists.

I had my odometer spontaneously rollback on a Model S. I had a 2018 Model S 75D running build 2019.8.3 of the Tesla software. On my last drive on the afternoon of April 4th, 2019 starting at 3:05 PM, my two trip odometers were not updating. I performed a scrollwheel reboot with my main odometer saying 11,955 (and my trip odometer not updated). After the reboot, my main odometer rolled back to 11,942. I logged a bug via the scroll wheels before I performed the reboot.

Photo taken at 3:31 PM that afternoon:

Photo taken at 3:33 PM that same afternoon (after scrollwheel reboot at 3:32 PM -- note the "Since delivery" trip odo compared to actual odo):

Odometer reading on version info screen:

I took it to Tesla Service and they performed an odometer roll-forward procedure to reset it back to the correct reading (again, notice offset between "Since delivery" trip odo and actual odo -- back to 8 miles):
76896577_1356503674522016_3986586552498126848_n.jpg

From Tesla Service:
77170248_2566216213623302_3538398271254822912_n.jpg

Thank you. I can't believe people are all over the OP saying that they can't possibly be asking what they are indeed asking, and that the odometer/trip meters are absolutely perfect and infallible.

Everyone please note the quoted post. The odometer is not a fully physical contraption like in older vehicles, and is software controlled. In fact, the value can demonstrably be augmented by Tesla via software, and precisely so.

Likely causes for the OP:
  • Bug with trip meter and when it resets
  • Bug with the odometer
  • OP drove more than they thought due to some medical issue (very unlikely, not impossible)
  • OP is a flat out liar and is trying to cause trouble (in which case, this would be a very odd scenario to craft)

There are a few variables at play. I don't think he's lying. We don't have enough information, including his odometer reading. He keeps referring to his trip meter.

That being said, if there are issues with software-based odometer readings then that will throw a massive wrench into the used market a few years down the road. I have no idea how these odometers are calibrated and/or confirmed to be accurate, but man, what a bleep-show if the readings can't be trusted.

That being said, if there are issues with software-based odometer readings then that will throw a massive wrench into the used market a few years down the road. I have no idea how these odometers are calibrated and/or confirmed to be accurate, but man, what a bleep-show if the readings can't be trusted.

Agreed. From what I saw of their software when they were rolling mine forward they are able to see the odo reading at various points (i.e., it calls home and reports back). They should be able to detect variance. In my case I saw both the instant drop down and the instant jump-up on the chart. In theory, since they have the data they could query for affected cars and silently fix it.

This is one case where Tesla went above and beyond to make it right (tech even stayed after hours), had multiple folks reach out from corporate directly to follow-up.

There are a few variables at play. I don't think he's lying. We don't have enough information, including his odometer reading. He keeps referring to his trip meter.

The car uses the recorded lifetime number of rotations of the Drive Unit for the odometer. Not sure how accurate or error prone that may be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.