Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very different than what you originally wrote (that the ODOMETER said 12.3 miles driven).

You continue to conflate two issues. Are you disputing the miles driven, or range loss?

If range loss, then read one of a million threads (battery warming, short drives, ambient temps, etc...).

If miles driven, that is the first time I've heard of it. My guess is that your "since last charge" trip meter didn't reset (or the car didn't actually charge last night).

I’m not disputing anything.
While I’m not thrilled with losing 17 miles of range in one mile, it’s the weird odometer (or the unofficial miles travelled card if you’d rather) reading that confused me.
So yes, a possibility is that is didn’t reset, despite the fact that I charged a great deal last night.
Or just a bug...as I said, I haven’t driven since.
For the people asking for pictures, I’m just not sure what that would prove/disprove, saying as there’s no way to show exactly what I actually traveled, other than my word.
So back to my original post.
Just curious if anyone else had experienced this. That’s it. Not accusing or bashing anyone or anything.

Let me try again...maybe I can be clearer.

I charged overnight to 90%, showed 287 miles of range.
Ran two errands (stopped for 30 minutes between, no sentry), total distance traveled, just over 1 mile according to google.
Again, I travelled one mile total.
Range went down to 270, the card that says “since last charge” showed 12.3 miles driven.
I did not look at the master odometer before I drove, so I can’t tell you what that showed. Obviously, I’ll look carefully next time.
Thanks for clarifying, big difference from what you said originally. Perfectly normal, no need to look at the odometer, it will be accurate actual miles driven.

• Informative
Reactions: AKinDC
While I’m not thrilled with losing 17 miles of range in one mile, it’s the weird odometer (or the unofficial miles travelled card if you’d rather) reading that confused me.
So yes, a possibility is that is didn’t reset, despite the fact that I charged a great deal last night.
For the people asking for pictures, I’m just not sure what that would prove/disprove, saying as there’s no way to show exactly what I actually traveled, other than my word.
Just curious if anyone else had experienced this. That’s it. Not accusing or bashing anyone or anything.

Yes, losing 17 miles of range in few short trips is EXTREMELY common. Heater usage, warming up the battery, etc etc. If you made a bunch of short trips like that all the time, you would likely only have 80-100 miles of "range".. but of course it wouldnt matter because you could plug in when you got home.

Nothing to see there at all.

having your ODOMETER say you went 12.3 miles when you only went 1, no, that likely didnt happen.

OK, so not questioning ODOMETER, just loss of range.

Yes, in cold weather with short drives the battery and cabin heaters will consume an inordinate amount of energy relative to the distance traveled. You also may have lost a bunch of that range overnight as it sat (after charging).

P.S. Do you have your HVAC set to stay on, or Dog Mode?

ITT: people debating the message in OP's post.

Ran two errands (stopped for 30 minutes between, no sentry), total distance traveled, just over 1 mile according to google.
Range went down to 270, the card that says “since last charge” showed 12.3 miles driven.
I did not look at the master odometer before I drove, so I can’t tell you what that showed. Obviously, I’ll look carefully next time.

OP - there's a higher probability that google was wrong. the odometer should be using rolling miles (something counts the revolutions of something else, usually the axle). google was using GPS and quite possibly lost signal.

if you ran two errands, and each of those errands are 4 miles away, you traveled 12 miles.

home -> errand one (4 miles) -> errand two (4 miles) -> home (4 miles)

maybe geographically it was 1 mile?

• Disagree
Reactions: AKinDC
ITT: people debating the message in OP's post.

OP - there's a higher probability that google was wrong. the odometer should be using rolling miles (something counts the revolutions of something else, usually the axle). google was using GPS and quite possibly lost signal.

if you ran two errands, and each of those errands are 4 miles away, you traveled 12 miles.

home -> errand one (4 miles) -> errand two (4 miles) -> home (4 miles)

maybe geographically it was 1 mile?
You really think the OP doesn't know the difference between driving one mile and 12 miles? It's clear they are talking range loss, not actual miles.

I’m questioning the miles traveled reading on the screen that says “since last charge.”

Again, you keep vascillating between that and range loss.

If it is the miles since last charge, then...

1) Do you have TeslaFI or some other tracker that you can confirm the last time you charged and the drives since then, or
2) Can you tell us where you live and the errands you ran (1 mile for 2 errands does seem rather short), or
3) Do you have dashcam enabled that you can check the video for your teenager who snuck out last night with your car?

As long as we are telling exciting stories about vampire drain...

I charged to 198 miles last night, drove 0.2 miles in my work parking structure to a different spot, and left my car for the evening as I rode home.

By noon today, I had only 176 miles left. I wasn't using Sentry mode, Cabin Overheat protection, Summon Standby Mode, or anything like that. Temperatures in the 50s.

I'd like to think my car was having exciting dreams about driving fast, as it was left lonely in a quiet and deserted parking structure. Or, maybe that FSD is further along than we think! ;)

Overall, I am really satisfied about how I am reducing my carbon footprint by choosing to ride my bicycle home & back to work this morning. :rolleyes: It's comical how my car used just as much energy sitting in the parking structure as it would have taken to simply drive the complete 20-mile round trip. Fantastic.

Last edited:
I’m questioning the miles traveled reading on the screen that says “since last charge.”

I'm going to say you should just stop commenting on this thread until you see this again and have more situational awareness of what you are looking at in your car and whether you have appropriately reset the trip counter you want to look at. Also if you are claiming anything with loss on the odometer, stick with referencing the actual odometer to avoid confusion.

I think we can all just stop this here until the OP has new data that is more carefully recorded. Way too much confusion in this thread that is not going anywhere.

This is one of the dumber threads I've seen in here, and I frequently call out the people who regulate threads in here lol.
The odometer is the official tracking of how many miles are on your car. I'm sorry, but there's no way that your odometer was off. That's impossible.
Posting about range loss anxiety at the same time is getting your head twisted like a pretzel.
The trip meter and since last charge aspects are different and we'd need a bit of proof to consider talking about your points.

What would make sense is this guy went on a 12.3 mile trip and used 17 miles of stated range. That would be perfectly normal, especially if the battery was cold this time of the year, and if he stopped for 30 minutes.
Put this dumb thread to rest.
There's no way that I could do leave my house, do 2 errands, and be home within a mile lmao!

@Joshan , @toolman335, @jjrandorin:

I can 100% confirm that Tesla odometer issues caused by software are in fact a real occurrence. I don't know how frequent of an occurrence, or what exactly causes it (Tesla's theory internally is reboot while driving), but it definitely exists.

I had my odometer spontaneously rollback on a Model S. I had a 2018 Model S 75D running build 2019.8.3 of the Tesla software. On my last drive on the afternoon of April 4th, 2019 starting at 3:05 PM, my two trip odometers were not updating. I performed a scrollwheel reboot with my main odometer saying 11,955 (and my trip odometer not updated). After the reboot, my main odometer rolled back to 11,942. I logged a bug via the scroll wheels before I performed the reboot.

Photo taken at 3:31 PM that afternoon:

Photo taken at 3:33 PM that same afternoon (after scrollwheel reboot at 3:32 PM -- note the "Since delivery" trip odo compared to actual odo):

Odometer reading on version info screen:

I took it to Tesla Service and they performed an odometer roll-forward procedure to reset it back to the correct reading (again, notice offset between "Since delivery" trip odo and actual odo -- back to 8 miles):
76896577_1356503674522016_3986586552498126848_n.jpg

From Tesla Service:
77170248_2566216213623302_3538398271254822912_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.