Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean like how gas stations don't make their money on gas? DCFC along the highway needs to be at the Travel/Truck Stops and in towns/cities along the way.
Sure, but the travel/truck stops have already announced their own plans to install DC fast charging, so this new collective of 7 automakers aren't going to be able to install there. (Unless they end up partnering with them as well.)

Can I get my model 3 - 2021 not enabled for CCS - upgraded by Tesla yet in Westchester, NY so I can use CCS chargers if necessary? Traveling to Maine where Tesla superchargers are sparse. I have tried several times to schedule this but have been told I need to wait.

Yup, need to wait. That's if you want the factory approved method. There's an independent "hack" that does about the same thing which you can find here in the forums. It requires that you get the correct charge port ECU, a wiring harness and the CCS adapter on your own and pull off the side panel in the trunk and swap the ECU.

Oh, and a software download is required to complete the process. That can be done by entering into the service mode and requesting it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
You don’t need to “hack” a 2021, just buy the ECU from ANY Tesla store parts dept and pop it on where the old one was and reinstall your software from Service Mode. Maybe half an hour and most of that time is the software install.

Can I get my model 3 - 2021 not enabled for CCS - upgraded by Tesla yet in Westchester, NY so I can use CCS chargers if necessary? Traveling to Maine where Tesla superchargers are sparse. I have tried several times to schedule this but have been told I need to wait.
Just made an online service appointment in White Plains, NY to retrofit my non-enabled 2021 model 3 to use a CCS adaptor. A half hour later I was called and messaged by Tesla informing me that the retrofit was not available yet and i would receive an email when it was ready. I don’t have high hopes at this point since we are past the halfway point of 2023 and it was supposed to be available by now. I am speculating that Tesla is counting on enough Tesla chargers to be available that retrofits to CCS will not be necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Just made an online service appointment in White Plains, NY to retrofit my non-enabled 2021 model 3 to use a CCS adaptor. A half hour later I was called and messaged by Tesla informing me that the retrofit was not available yet and i would receive an email when it was ready. I don’t have high hopes at this point since we are past the halfway point of 2023 and it was supposed to be available by now. I am speculating that Tesla is counting on enough Tesla chargers to be available that retrofits to CCS will not be necessary.
Once the 3rd party charging networks start adding NACS in significant numbers, everybody is going to want the retrofit (assuming any of them are half-way reliable). Superchargers are great, but more chargers is better.

I have a friend who just this week walked into Tesla and got the ECU from the parts dept. The old cars need the unavailable retrofit that a Bundle of Wires handles, but the ones that don't support CCS that are newer than 2019 only need the ECU which can be swapped in minutes

• Informative
I saw a post somewhere (and can't find it again) that someone had their older Model 3 retrofitted with the CCS upgrade (official? Not sure) and as a result, their Gen1 portable charger (UMC) no longer works with the car. Since I have a late 2018 Model 3, contemplating a CCS upgrade someday, has anyone heard of this? Is it an issue with the official Tesla source upgrade? Seems like an expensive problem if the portable charger no longer works. I've had to use it a few times.
Still no CCS modification for my '18 M3. Originally promised in Q1 of this year. Then mid year. Maybe they meant next year. Or the year after.
So I assume the complaint I saw was for a non-standard non-Tesla CCS retrofit? (I too have a (late) 2018 M3 awaiting upgrade.)

Still, like ChaDEMO is still around, there will be sufficient CCS cars out there that likely CCS will be around for a while and until the new non-Tesla cars have it, no advantage to convert chargers. If the CCS-to-NACS is a simple adaptor like the one Tesla (allegedly) sells, then no urgency for anyone to convert any charger from CCS for a year or two. There's no benefit in adding NACS superchargers now unless it can seriously undercut Tesla prices. From what I read - I've only used Tesla SC's - getting a CCS charger to work can sometimes be an interesting exercise.

Yes, just like converting V2 -> V3 Superchargers, it's not a real cost benefit, the old stations can continue to work as originally designed. But also like Superchargers new stations will open with the latest tech, so expect NACS to appear as new stations come online.

Yes, getting non-Tesla chargers to work is more difficult than plugging in at a Supercharger, to the point where people have made a YouTube career out of it.

• Funny
I saw a post somewhere (and can't find it again) that someone had their older Model 3 retrofitted with the CCS upgrade (official? Not sure) and as a result, their Gen1 portable charger (UMC) no longer works with the car. Since I have a late 2018 Model 3, contemplating a CCS upgrade someday, has anyone heard of this? Is it an issue with the official Tesla source upgrade? Seems like an expensive problem if the portable charger no longer works. I've had to use it a few times.
I just got my 12V Battery replaced (4-1/2 years) and talking to the service tech - he said he's only seen the CCS upgrade for Model X and yes, it does cause problems with the Gen1 portabe chargers. He hasn't seen or done any Model 3 upgrades for CCS yet and can't say whether it will still be a problem.

I hope not, since I assume a lot of the 3's that want the upgrade have the earlier chargers. It came free with the car back then.

• Informative
I have a friend who just this week walked into Tesla and got the ECU from the parts dept. The old cars need the unavailable retrofit that a Bundle of Wires handles, but the ones that don't support CCS that are newer than 2019 only need the ECU which can be swapped in minutes
Well then that begs the question if it really is that easy, (no reason to doubt you) why doesn't the Tesla service center just do that for people like @Bigalbrown ?

Is Tesla service really that bad these days ?

Reactions: RMannino
So I assume the complaint I saw was for a non-standard non-Tesla CCS retrofit? (I too have a (late) 2018 M3 awaiting upgrade.)

Still, like ChaDEMO is still around, there will be sufficient CCS cars out there that likely CCS will be around for a while and until the new non-Tesla cars have it, no advantage to convert chargers. If the CCS-to-NACS is a simple adaptor like the one Tesla (allegedly) sells, then no urgency for anyone to convert any charger from CCS for a year or two. There's no benefit in adding NACS superchargers now unless it can seriously undercut Tesla prices. From what I read - I've only used Tesla SC's - getting a CCS charger to work can sometimes be an interesting exercise.
EVgo did add Tesla plugs to some of its charging stations. Basically, they put the CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter on the station as the holster for the CHAdeMO plug, with the Tesla cord and plug coming out the other end. But these only gave 50kW, so they were not all that desirable to Tesla drivers unless there was no nearby SuperCharger.

But there is no reason charging station companies cannot do something similar by putting CCS-to-Tesla adapters on their CCS stations in a similar manner (perhaps enabling much faster than 50kW charging). However, that would only expand their market to newer Teslas with CCS capability, although it would likely be less expensive than adding a more dedicated Tesla plug.