Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might also have something to do with the NACS steamroller. MagicDock might be completely pointless in a few months honestly and they might be waiting to see how that plays out.
They will still need to continue with MagicDock roll outs for some % of new installs and some current locations. NACS isn't going to take hold with other OEM anywhere near as quickly as people expect and a MagicDock configured SC can always pretty easily - or already be/become a regular NACS enabled port.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
What other manufacturers? I think the only EV maker not on board is VW group (Porsche&Audi), Mercedes declared they were on board this morning. I guess that leaves Kia/Hyundai too, perhaps they are on the docket for next week

Plenty of others: BMW/Mini, Dodge/RAM/Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Toyota/Lexus, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, VW/Audi/Porsche

Some of them have said they are thinking about it, but haven't made the commitment yet.

Plenty of others: BMW/Mini, Dodge/RAM/Chrysler, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Toyota/Lexus, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, VW/Audi/Porsche
I mention VW & Kia. Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi don't really make electric cars. BMW, I guess they are making EVs but think they will be one of the early manufacturers to go under trying to make great EVs w/o being able to make profit on these cars.

30% for now. They are already starting to hit demand limits, and with Elon's obsession with taking things away that many people want, it is not clear how long the 'good days' will last really.
It’s really only ~18% now (which I see going lower), if we’re talking cars - which I don’t know if they are going to continue to break out. Having moved to “operating margin”, which gets a bit polluted with other products, services and financial engineering.

Well, they still have to install CCS plugs to qualify for the IRA funds. The only change was that several states now require both CCS and NACS - putting the CCS DCFC operators in a similar disadvantage. LOL
I worry that the switch to NACS is delaying installation of many planned, and/or actually completed, but not connected CCS1 charging stations, especially in rural areas.

Reactions: DrGriz
I worry that the switch to NACS is delaying installation of many planned, and/or actually completed, but not connected CCS1 charging stations, especially in rural areas.
I think the main thing delaying installation of new non-Tesla DC fast chargers is that the companies are waiting for the NEVI funds to be allocated. I don't think any of the money has been granted yet. (Though I think Ohio is planning to grant the first year money sometime this month.) Most states haven't even issued the RFPs yet.

As far as the "completed" but not operational sites, those are almost always missing the utility transformer. (They tend to be on back-order for 6 months to 2 years.)

If that's the plan, but they DON'T tell us the plan, I too would wait to buy a car until the final design is available. Promise us all retrofits so we'll not be shy about buying current inventory.

And you say retrofit a second plug? I would think they simply retrofit the NACS plug in place of the CCS plug. Trying to cut a hole in the sheet metal and install a secure inlet with the strength to not get ripped out of the car if someone trips over the cord would be a bit much to expect to be done by the various car's service departments.

Hopefully they go to solid conductors like Tesla uses to route power from the inlet to the power electronics. A solid aluminum bar bent at the correct locations and insulated is much cheaper to build than a stranded copper wire of the same gauge.