Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have luck with getting the ECU upgraded to CCS charge at a service center? Looking for what exactly to ask for as it seems like most are confused and tell me to just put in a service request…
As far as I know they haven't started retrofits for the Model 3 or Model Y yet. The shop website still says this:
1692119274389.png

Once it is available, there should be a CCS retrofit option available under service for you to request. (Or when looking at the CCS adapter via the store in the Tesla app.) It will likely cost the same as for the Model S/X $450 for the retrofit and CCS adapter. (So don't try to buy an adapter somewhere else first, or you will end up with an extra one.)

As far as I know they haven't started retrofits for the Model 3 or Model Y yet. The shop website still says this:
View attachment 965149

Once it is available, there should be a CCS retrofit option available under service for you to request. (Or when looking at the CCS adapter via the store in the Tesla app.) It will likely cost the same as for the Model S/X $450 for the retrofit and CCS adapter. (So don't try to buy an adapter somewhere else first, or you will end up with an extra one.)
See post 430 and newer . Some are getting an ECU from the service center and CCS is working.

Reactions: israndy
See post 430 and newer . Some are getting an ECU from the service center and CCS is working.
Sure, you can DIY it, but I didn't think that is what the person was asking for, since they said "getting the ECU upgraded to CCS charge at a service center".

If they want to DIY it, then they need to deal with the parts department and just request the correct part number. Don't ask/mention anything about CCS or a retrofit. (This can often be done by putting in a service request in the app under the "other" category and just requesting to purchase part number x in the details.)

I was able to just walked in to my local Tesla service center about two weeks ago and brought the ECU from the parts department. At the time the CCS adapter was out of stock but luckily I found a like new original Tesla CCS adapter on OfferUp for cheaper. Used the instructions found on this site and installed the ECU in about 20mins plus another 20mins for the software updates. I have free DC fast charging at work but wasn't able to use it until now! Originally was going to wait for Tesla's retrofit but got fed up after more than 6 months delay....glad everything works now.

I was able to just walked in to my local Tesla service center about two weeks ago and brought the ECU from the parts department. At the time the CCS adapter was out of stock but luckily I found a like new original Tesla CCS adapter on OfferUp for cheaper. Used the instructions found on this site and installed the ECU in about 20mins plus another 20mins for the software updates. I have free DC fast charging at work but wasn't able to use it until now! Originally was going to wait for Tesla's retrofit but got fed up after more than 6 months delay....glad everything works now.
Do you have a part number for the ECU?

However, that would only expand their market to newer Teslas with CCS capability,
But every year there's more and more of those... The next step is whether other charger companies will try to compete with Tesla either in speed, cost, or convenient locations. In the heyday, there were gas stations on every corner (and often, 4 corners). It may b a while, but we can hope that we see something approacing that - especially when more people buy EV's but live in places like apartments and don't have the wiring setup for home charging.

Anyone else have luck with getting the ECU upgraded to CCS charge at a service center? Looking for what exactly to ask for as it seems like most are confused and tell me to just put in a service request…
I have put in multiple service requests to have the retrofit done in White Plains , NY. Every time I complete the appointment request I get a phone call or message about a half hour later saying that it isn’t available yet and I will get an email when it is ready. Pretty frustrating.

Does anyone know when TESLA will start installing retrofits for model 3 that were shipped without the necessary hardware?
Which Model 3 do you have? If you have one of the pre-2020 Teslas they are going to be making a change to the current configuration as newer cars come with a heated charge port that can keep them from icing up.

Newer cars that simply didn't get the correct CCS ECU because there were not enough chips available to make all cars CCS compatible can be VERY EASILY converted, and are NOT waiting for the upgrade the earlier cars need. If you cannot convince your local SvC to do the install you likely can convince them to order you the ECU part which can be DIY installed in a couple of minutes.

Reactions: KJD
Which Model 3 do you have? If you have one of the pre-2020 Teslas they are going to be making a change to the current configuration as newer cars come with a heated charge port that can keep them from icing up.

Newer cars that simply didn't get the correct CCS ECU because there were not enough chips available to make all cars CCS compatible can be VERY EASILY converted, and are NOT waiting for the upgrade the earlier cars need. If you cannot convince your local SvC to do the install you likely can convince them to order you the ECU part which can be DIY installed in a couple of minutes.
We received our car exactly two years ago in August 2021. I only know that my software says it is not enabled. I do know that I am not going to swap the part myself. I am a well qualified eye surgeon not an EV mechanic.

Yeah, it's just unplugging a box and plugging the new one in and then running software update. But your hands are probably worth a bit'a money that you may not wanna risk doing ANYTHING that isn't eye surgery
I am a woodworker so I am fully capable of performing repairs when necessary. I am not Terribly confident about the ins and outs of this vehicle and not interested in voiding any warranties. That said I am annoyed they they won’t do it since it doesn’t sound like a big deal.

Reactions: KJD