Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Facelift on older car, would it add resale value?

Would it add resale value?

• + $3000

• + $1500

• +$0

• - $1500

• - $3000

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 P85D+, has every option except ludicrous. i am considering doing an OEM facelift(front bumper and hood)

i plan to keep the car for at least the next 5 years and then i will consider whether it is worth upgrading to an AP2 car depending on the improved autopilot/full self driving features.

id like to get your opinion on resale value of this mod. simply put, would it add or lose value if i were to sell the car later on?

this thread is not meant to talk about how to do the conversion, how complicated it is nor the aftermarket options. so please keep those topic out.

also i am not considering an AP2 car at this moment because there are no features over AP1 i want and i would like to keep the plus suspension car.

I think for most people, it won’t increase value between the uneducated buyers, concerned modifications impacting functionality (which can very well not be accurate) to people who just prefer the nosecone. That being said, for the right buyer, it could increase value. I would pay a little more because I like the refreshed fascia.

It depends on the potential buyer. I like both of the fronts so it's all the same to me, but a lot of early MS owners have an interest in the newer fascia. Typically folks won't pay up and have a general suspicion about "frankencars," but you'd be looking to sell your only car. You just need one buyer willing to accept your selling price; it is not as though you have to sell an entire lot of MS with the modified fascia.

I remember folks would pay up for the JDM front conversion of the 3rd generation Acura Integra, but folks also had the lingering feeling like the job would have been better under their own supervision. In other words, some folks don't trust someone else's handiwork and if they wanted a conversion they would opt to do it themselves.

I'd say if it makes you happy, you can afford to do it, and if you're going to obsess about it until you do it, then go ahead and do it.

Reactions: tesiono
I personally would say it would have slightly higher value than the same car with all other details being the same. I think the posters above are not considering a crucial piece of info, which is that the retrofit would be done with OEM parts.

Of course, looks are subjective, and I know from reading on here that there are people that like the nose cone, but I don't know anyone personally that would PREFER the nosecone over the refresh. So, I would vote to get it done, since you'll enjoy it, and it would certainly make it a slightly easier sale in the future.

It depends on the potential buyer. I like both of the fronts so it's all the same to me, but a lot of early MS owners have an interest in the newer fascia. Typically folks won't pay up and have a general suspicion about "frankencars," but you'd be looking to sell your only car. You just need one buyer willing to accept your selling price; it is not as though you have to sell an entire lot of MS with the modified fascia.

I remember folks would pay up for the JDM front conversion of the 3rd generation Acura Integra, but folks also had the lingering feeling like the job would have been better under their own supervision. In other words, some folks don't trust someone else's handiwork and if they wanted a conversion they would opt to do it themselves.

I'd say if it makes you happy, you can afford to do it, and if you're going to obsess about it until you do it, then go ahead and do it.
I prefer the OEM front on my 95 GSR, and the nose cone on my 15 MS. Coincidence? I think not...

Reactions: tesiono
In the rare case modifications do add value they add a fraction of their cost so they are still a very poor choice financially.

Besides is residual value on this car going to be worth considering another 5 years from now anyway?

If you really want it do it, don't try to justify it, your will is the only justification that matters in the slightest.

Reactions: tyler2323
Read back his original post. His car is 2014, he plans on keeping it for another 5 year and then see if it'll be worth upgrading. Any warranty, even extended would have expired already anyway, let along by the time he turns around to sell it.

Repairability has nothing to do with warranty. If something goes wrong and Tesla refuses to even look at the car, any current or future owners could be stuck with a paperweight. E.g. let’s say the front radar or ultrasonics fails. If Tesla refuses to work on it, the current or future owner will have to either fix it on their own, find a 3rd party shop, or live with continuous warning messages on the UI and no autopilot. If the main concern is resale value, I’d wait until 3rd party shops are willing to service Teslas.

• Disagree
Besides is residual value on this car going to be worth considering another 5 years from now anyway?

Interesting question. As long as Tesla continues to support and service old out-of-warranty cars, values may actually bottom out rather than drop to zero. A clean 12 year old Model S with software v15, Autopilot HW3 with FSD, and a brand new battery pack may be surprisingly worth 10x more than a 12 year old BMW 5-Series.

• Disagree
It likely won’t increase value more than what you paid to get it done if at all. Some people don’t know, others who know may be concerned that it isn’t done right, and those who truly want it can get it done themselves for about the same cost as you doing it. Unless u can do it for free, it would not be worth it.

I have a 2014 P85D+, has every option except ludicrous. i am considering doing an OEM facelift(front bumper and hood)

i plan to keep the car for at least the next 5 years and then i will consider whether it is worth upgrading to an AP2 car depending on the improved autopilot/full self driving features.

id like to get your opinion on resale value of this mod. simply put, would it add or lose value if i were to sell the car later on?

this thread is not meant to talk about how to do the conversion, how complicated it is nor the aftermarket options. so please keep those topic out.

also i am not considering an AP2 car at this moment because there are no features over AP1 i want and i would like to keep the plus suspension car.
In this case it will definitely add value cause you’re not taking about a regular modification rather than taking an older car and making it look like the newer model. Anyone that disagrees knows nothing about buyers. Now if it was a collector car than a different story. Here’s an easy question for anyone in this debate to ask themselves. Would you rather own the older trim of any model car or the most recent one? If you said older than you’re clearly high. Ask anyone who bought a 2016 prefacelift/nosecone Model S how upset they are that they change the look immediately after with no update that they were going to do so.
Or look at how many people are debating buying an S now or waiting for the Plaid S just in case it turns out dramatically different. I can tell you having the older style of any car will cause extreme depreciation after 2 yrs of the newer model being released cause everyone wants to have the new s**t and that relates to almost everything we buy, phones, clothes, computers, video game consoles, etc. There are always going to be certain things that will go against this fact but for the most part we are creatures of wanting the newest and best of anything before anyone else has it too.
One huge advantage to adding it to a Tesla is that literally it’s the only change that was made as the interior has changed very little and even worse in some cases , when they had better rear seats before for awhile.
You ever realize whenever they change the look of a car you have or wanted you usually don’t like it as much as the previous one? Than after a year it grows on you and you can’t believe you use to think the old version looked better. That’s because having the old version looks like you might have a car that’s 8-9 yrs old even though yours may only be 2 yrs old but no one knows cause they change models usually every 7 yrs.
Adding it could add more value than it costs to do cause a lot of people don’t want to spend the time to have it done or may not have another car to have it in the shop being done. Now I’m not saying it’s going to make it worth more than the same model that’s newer but it will definitely attract any buyers who cannot afford the current model but can afford one that has been modified to resemble one.
Also consider supply and demand. How many more nosecone prefacelift model s’s will be for sale compared to prefacelift model s’s with an updated bumper. You just separated yourself from the rest of all the others by upgrading your bumper. It can only help not hurt and can easily be put back to the original bumper if wanted.
Which one would you rather own out of these 3 S’s?

82404ADE-82C3-4C8D-A7CF-F43DDB1825E1.jpeg
2CF32697-471B-408F-BDB3-46957AF971CD.jpeg
CCE0FA66-B3C7-47A6-89A7-44C00C68D4C0.jpeg

Case closed.
The two with updated bumpers don’t even have all the parts installed cause they were installed just for fitment before being painted

Last edited:
Personally it would make me suspect that there was front end damage, and an updated nosecone was put on when doing the repairs. And that would make me wonder if everything was repaired properly. So for me personally, it would decrease value.
That’s probably the worst assumption you can make. I would always assume any car may have had some damage regardless. That’s why you always check for the obvious signs that anyone can do. Such as checking the gaps of the hood. If there was any type of damage to the front of the car it is impossible to fix it without noticeable signs regardless what kind of car it is. Always make sure that the gaps between the hood and side fenders are the same. If one side has a larger gap than almost always there has been some kind of work done. This applies to the trunk etc as well.
An updated nosecone would contradict exactly what you’re saying as well. If it has a nosecone than all they did was replace the original bumper.
Also if that’s a concern than it’s not difficult to have the car inspected which is something I always do if purchasing an expensive car even if it has a clean title and especially if it’s out of warranty. Otherwise when you run an autocheck or Carfax and it’s shows no accidents and younbuy the car only to find out later it had damage than Carfax and autocheck will cover the costs of the car in their guarantee when you purchase a Carfax. It’s called a buyback guarantee if you have ever done a Carfax report. As it’s a very common issue for cars to have accidents not reported. I would never buy any car without running both a Carfax and autocheck report cause they can vary, where one shows an accident and another doesn’t regardless of any added aftermarket parts.So my advice would be to be suspect always not just cause someone added aftermarket parts. Especially one as common as doing a facelift conversion. There are a lot of members on here that have done some type of facelift conversion and I would bet less than 5% did so due to an accident.

I would never buy a non-stock Tesla.

The people who would are likely the same people who would buy a tricked out Honda Civic.
That’s the most unintelligent comparison I’ve ever heard. It’s not even comparing apples to oranges that’s all I have to say about that. Tell that to all the Tesla owners who are trying to do their own facelift conversion on this forum.
Clearly you don’t understand how basic an ev is compared to an ice car. I would explain it to you but it would be a waste of time. To even try to make a comparison in modifications of the two, than we must add batteries and motors to an ev to make any kind of even comparison to what owners of ice cars do. Without doing extremely drastic modifications you can only do so much to effect an ev negatively, as is it very limited to what you can customize unlike ice vehicles. I’m sure adding a new bumper would greatly effect the performance of the batteries and motors haha. Those would be the two main components of an ev. You represent about 1% of of all buyers who would choose the stock Tesla over one that has been modified with aftermarket parts. You can have this stock Tesla pictured here and I’ll take the modified one pictured over it all day long. Especially since it would be worth less since it has added aftermarket parts lol. Which apparently depreciates the value more than the exact same model Tesla that’s stock lol, too funny. The difference is you would never see a customized Tesla like this for sale while you’ll find plenty of stock Tesla’s sitting around unsold. One would be listed in Dupont’s Registry while the others on Craigslist.
Enough said.
E0697E3B-A137-4199-A187-6C3EDFEAD938.jpeg
111C67DD-7270-4368-9338-112C27E1F554.jpeg

This is a perfect example of how far off you are. We have a customized 2016 P100D with 33k miles for $115k with 140+ watchers. While on the other hand we have a 2017 P100D with 20k miles for $83k and 30 watchers. Why isn’t the stock one that has less miles and is a year newer and over $30k less not selling?
Hmmm... strange. One of us clearly knows nothing about cars and drives a tricked out civic lmao
152B17CC-405D-4C0E-9A2D-FA5DD7D55587.jpeg
789331AE-2622-4ECF-9F20-E89D9805040F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide
That’s the most unintelligent comparison I’ve ever heard. It’s not even comparing apples to oranges that’s all I have to say about that. Tell that to all the Tesla owners who are trying to do their own facelift conversion on this forum.
Clearly you don’t understand how basic an ev is compared to an ice car. I would explain it to you but it would be a waste of time. To even try to make a comparison in modifications of the two, than we must add batteries and motors to an ev to make any kind of even comparison to what owners of ice cars do. Without doing extremely drastic modifications you can only do so much to effect an ev negatively, as is it very limited to what you can customize unlike ice vehicles. I’m sure adding a new bumper would greatly effect the performance of the batteries and motors haha. Those would be the two main components of an ev. You represent about 1% of of all buyers who would choose the stock Tesla over one that has been modified with aftermarket parts. You can have this stock Tesla pictured here and I’ll take the modified one pictured over it all day long. Especially since it would be worth less since it has added aftermarket parts lol. Which apparently depreciates the value more than the exact same model Tesla that’s stock lol, too funny. The difference is you would never see a customized Tesla like this for sale while you’ll find plenty of stock Tesla’s sitting around unsold. One would be listed in Dupont’s Registry while the others on Craigslist.
Enough said.
View attachment 484597 View attachment 484598

This is a perfect example of how far off you are. We have a customized 2016 P100D with 33k miles for $115k with 140+ watchers. While on the other hand we have a 2017 P100D with 20k miles for $83k and 30 watchers. Why isn’t the stock one that has less miles and is a year newer and over $30k less not selling?
Hmmm... strange. One of us clearly knows nothing about cars and drives a tricked out civic lmao
View attachment 484629 View attachment 484630

Different strokes I guess. Every single modded car you linked looks like trash to me. But good luck with your...whatever you’re trying to do.