Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM TESLA roof racks Crack Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t received mine yet, so can’t visualise to comment adequately, but the PPF issue is concerning
Tesla is either using the PPF as a cop out for poor design or it actually causes the pads to slide into glass
I plan on loading the roof bars to their weight limit, but with a third mounting ‘T’ support off the hitch
See my Model X for visual explanation:
SeaSucker Monkey Bars (roof bars)
I ended up not using the stickers because of the PPF, which is hydrophobic (Suntek Ultra) WITH ceramic coating. The ‘location’ stickers would have less adherence than on metal

It's a J-shape, it can tilt inward. That's why it usually breaks, because it needs to point straight up to prevent the rubber pad from pressing down on the glass.
Combine that with crap build quality where the glass is off-centre and eschew. It's not surprising that people mamage to crack it by mistake, it's a design which doesn't forgive anything.
Were your J bolts definitely all slotted into the roof tabs or did one go under glass only?

I would press them as to why the ppf caused it - seems like absolving responsibility. In fact, I would take it further, legally
I got my insurance company to pay for it. Having to deal with Tesla service centers is a violation of human rights, and the insurance policy costs insanely much for Tesla's so I don't feel bad about it.
Anyway, that's enough from me, I just wanted to let people know that if your car is vinyl wrapped then Tesla will force you to pay for any damage caused by the roof rails. From what I've seen PPF is even thicker than vinyl, in which case be extra careful.

I got my insurance company to pay for it. Having to deal with Tesla service centers is a violation of human rights, and the insurance policy costs insanely much for Tesla's so I don't feel bad about it.
Anyway, that's enough from me, I just wanted to let people know that if your car is vinyl wrapped then Tesla will force you to pay for any damage caused by the roof rails. From what I've seen PPF is even thicker than vinyl, in which case be extra careful.
Cheers. Appreciate you sharing your experience

Were your J bolts definitely all slotted into the roof tabs or did one go under glass only?

there is some space between the tab and the glass on the front tab...I was able to slide a paper between the tab and the underside of the glass. On the rear tabs I can’t even slide a paper between the top of the tab and the underside of the glass. Whether there’s something else blocking me from sliding the paper or the glass is pretty much sitting right on top of the tab I can’t say. Maybe that’s also why tesla warns that overnighting will break the glass? It also makes sense why people report that there is less threading to grab onto with the front J hooks.

But I think it’s pretty much impossible to get the metal J hook to be installed between the top of the tab and underside of glass.

there is some space between the tab and the glass on the front tab...I was able to slide a paper between the tab and the underside of the glass. On the rear tabs I can’t even slide a paper between the top of the tab and the underside of the glass. Whether there’s something else blocking me from sliding the paper or the glass is pretty much sitting right on top of the tab I can’t say. Maybe that’s also why tesla warns that overnighting will break the glass? It also makes sense why people report that there is less threading to grab onto with the front J hooks.

But I think it’s pretty much impossible to get the metal J hook to be installed between the top of the tab and underside of glass.
I think that's only true if you insert it at the right place, because the tab builds up a bit. If you insert the j-bolt at the bracket marking instead of the j-bolt marking you can probably fit it beneath the glass (which is what happened to the OP).

I think that's only true if you insert it at the right place, because the tab builds up a bit. If you insert the j-bolt at the bracket marking instead of the j-bolt marking you can probably fit it beneath the glass (which is what happened to the OP).

I was referring to installing the hook adjacent to the tabs

oh lol. I know @Marius A previously posted that he did insert it in the right place...so I thought you were talking about the j hook being inserted between the top of the tab and the glass. The tab doesn’t ramp up gradually it’s pretty much 90deg at the edges at the bracket marking. I’m not sure you can even install the j hook centered on the bracket marking...which is why asked for verification from the OP @Musclez when I posted the marked up pics about his install....but still hasn’t replied. The crack in his glass is even to the right of the bracket marking...making it seem like he even installed the j hook it to the right of the arrow on the (misplaced)sticker.

So this happened to me today, roof rack installation resulted in cracked glass - except that the installation was "done" by a Tesla mobile tech! He seemed like a nice guy and sounded & looked very knowledgeable, right up until the glass cracked. I even asked him before he got started if he was aware of this problem and he said he'd performed many installations and never heard of it. Funny but not funny.

On the plus side, he was very apologetic and immediately called his supervisor and scheduled a SC visit for me to replace the roof. We'll see how it goes...

So this happened to me today, roof rack installation resulted in cracked glass - except that the installation was "done" by a Tesla mobile tech! He seemed like a nice guy and sounded & looked very knowledgeable, right up until the glass cracked. I even asked him before he got started if he was aware of this problem and he said he'd performed many installations and never heard of it. Funny but not funny.

On the plus side, he was very apologetic and immediately called his supervisor and scheduled a SC visit for me to replace the roof. We'll see how it goes...
Wow!
Now I am super hesitant to put mine on myself.
I may be calling mobile tech to do mine, a good insurance policy.

Wow!
I actually wish I had done it myself, because I had read up on how to do it correctly and what can go wrong, and it looks pretty straightforward. I had mobile do it primarily because I was getting something else done and figured it would be convenient to get both things accomplished at the same time. Oh well.

I've had mine on all ski season and had some pretty heavy stuff up there (cargo box filled with snowboards and skis and a heavy 10' long 6"x6").

Installing the roof rails is very straightforward. As you tighten the J bolts, just slide a piece of paper under the rubber mounting pads (between the pads and the roof glass) to insure the rubber pads don't touch the glass. If the paper stops being able to be slid around freely, stop tightening and take it to Tesla and show them the problem. The rubber mounting pads should not touch the glass at all! And, if they don't touch the glass, there is no way it can break!

After tightening the bolts to the specified torque I still had over 1 mm of clearance between the mounting pads and the glass.

Happen to have a pic of where the glass cracked? Did it crack as he was tightening? Did it seem like he was really cranking down? Was he using a torque wrench?

Looking at the pics of the welded tabs I posted. I just don’t see how it can break if installed right ....location, not over tightened and ensuring the rubber pads aren’t contacting the glass.

Happen to have a pic of where the glass cracked? Did it crack as he was tightening? Did it seem like he was really cranking down? Was he using a torque wrench?

Looking at the pics of the welded tabs I posted. I just don’t see how it can break if installed right ....location, not over tightened and ensuring the rubber pads aren’t contacting the glass.

Picture attached. I watched him through the entire thing. He most definitely did not install it correctly, that was the problem. Right after the glass cracked, he was able to move the J-hook sideways quite a bit, which tells me he didn't insert correctly into the tab. In fact, before he left he told me that he did not align the J-hook correctly with the arrow on the roof.

To answer your other questions, he hand-tightened and then used the supplied wrench (so not a torque wrench) turning with the short arm. The glass cracked immediately when he began turning the wrench, so he must have hand-tightened pretty well. It was the first J-hook he attempted to tighten, so I don't know if he only screwed up just that one or all of them.

SC appointment scheduled for this week, we'll see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_125701.jpg
    IMG_20200324_125701.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 447
  • Informative
Reactions: Biscuitman
Picture attached. I watched him through the entire thing. He most definitely did not install it correctly, that was the problem. Right after the glass cracked, he was able to move the J-hook sideways quite a bit, which tells me he didn't insert correctly into the tab. In fact, before he left he told me that he did not align the J-hook correctly with the arrow on the roof.

To answer your other questions, he hand-tightened and then used the supplied wrench (so not a torque wrench) turning with the short arm. The glass cracked immediately when he began turning the wrench, so he must have hand-tightened pretty well. It was the first J-hook he attempted to tighten, so I don't know if he only screwed up just that one or all of them.

SC appointment scheduled for this week, we'll see what happens.

Not good for you....but good for everyone else worried about the rack cracking the glass. Another case of improper install. No wonder the glass cracked...wouldn’t take much pressure at all. Installed correctly there shouldn’t be any worries about cracking the glass.

Wow!

Look at my previous posts in this thread. I posted pics of the alignment marks and of the welded tab underneath the glass that the j-hook latches to. It will give you an idea of what’s going on. There’s no reason/way the class should crack if installed correctly (proper alignment of j-hook and not over torqued). Having a Tesla tech didn’t help stella2018 lol.

• Informative
Reactions: 5280mcs
Not good for you....but good for everyone else worried about the rack cracking the glass. Another case of improper install. No wonder the glass cracked...wouldn’t take much pressure at all. Installed correctly there shouldn’t be any worries about cracking the glass.

Look at my previous posts in this thread. I posted pics of the alignment marks and of the welded tab underneath the glass that the j-hook latches to. It will give you an idea of what’s going on. There’s no reason/way the class should crack if installed correctly (proper alignment of j-hook and not over torqued). Having a Tesla tech didn’t help stella2018 lol.
True, except because the tech screwed up, they are not on the hook for the cost of a new roof...

• Funny
Reactions: Marius A
True, except because the tech screwed up, they are not on the hook for the cost of a new roof...

Of course he shouldn’t have to pay. But now you are armed with the knowledge that the tech was supposed to have but didn’t. Id say chances are the tech you get doesn’t even know what the tabs look like under the glass that the j-hook mounts to. I’m competent in my skills and know I’d take the time to ensure proper install. I’d rather do it myself and not have to go through the ordeal of having my glass changed....regardless if I didn’t have to pay.

Just to close the loop on this, SC replaced my cracked roof last week. Took 24 hours and they gave me a Model S loaner. I still like my Model 3 better!

Interestingly, they said they ran into an issue with the rear half of the roof as well (possibly an inop heater) and replaced it under warranty. All for free.

Back in business, roof rack is on, all good!