Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In lighter news, The Alliance for Automotive Innovation is fighting back this OTA dealership funded bill in WV, (HB4560)
Wasn't aware of such alliance
NTSHA won't be proud though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Rolling stops is safer and is common sense. Do regulators have that basis mental thinking ability or are they in paradigm paralysis?

There is claim that it's safer to not stop however, Rep. Richard thinks not. Is there evidence it's safer to do a rolling stop and if so, why argue the science? (oh wait, wrong crowd.) There are no stop signs at rail road crossings but vehicle traffic still gets hit.

As a bicyclist it is dangerous to try to stop and then survey the area for vehicles but while riding I can see at least 160 degrees and stopping then starting again might miss a high speed vehicle.. Tesla vision can see 360 degrees and stopping wouldn't be as safe IMHO>

I won't be posting for some time as my parter has parents and family in Kyiv.

She can't reach them ATM.

My maternal Grandfather was born in Kiev. He came to Canada by himself as a young man before the start of WW1, where he worked in Montreal as a stevedore throughout the war. Many of us in the West have deep ties to the old Country, and thus a vested interest in seeing this crisis resolved as quickly and as bloodlessly as possible.

I was serving in the Army (Regimental Artillery live fire excerises) the day that Mikhail Gorbachev was kidnapped from his dacha on the Black Sea (ironically, just a few 100s km from where my other Grandfather was born). The other Officers and men in my Unit were all relieved when word came before the end of that week in Aug 1991 that Boris Yeltsen had rescued Gorbachev, greatly increasing our chances of going straight home.

God be with the people of Ukraine, their families, and yours.

Even Tesla leaves wiggle room when they make announcements. It is always going to be possible to parse their words different ways. My POV is that Tesla avoided spelling out 4680 production expectations so meeting those expectations says about nothing. As for expected production that is not 4680 dependent, Elon was clear that chip supply is a larger constraint than cell supply.
Sure, of all periods in time, the future is the hardest to predict.
That being said, Tesla's message was
1. Cell are not an issue in 2022 due to chips
2. Chips will not be an issue (or at least less of one) in 2023

Production is always limited by either capacity or the least available part. Just like they sell every car they make, once chips are flowing, they will use every cell they can get.

Cell production/ purchasing will be back to the bottleneck it historically has been, but that does not mean that cell production growth is slow nor lagging expectations.

Cell production/ purchasing will be back to the bottleneck it historically has been, but that does not mean that cell production growth is slow nor lagging expectations.

Drew commented re: the battery bottleneck several conference calls ago. He said that Tesla has ordered twice as many battery cells from suppliers as they plan to need for Automotive, and any extra cells will go straight into Tesla Energy products.

I expect that means lots more Powerwalls. Elon previously said Tesla's demand for powerwall is around 100K/yr but their production is only 10K/yr, again due to chips and cell supply constraints.

With Tesla adding in their own 4680 cells, I expect cell supply to ramp nicely in parallel with Auto growth. This is business critical for Tesla; I expect they'll be watching it most closely of all issues.

Cheers!

Drew commented re: the battery bottleneck several conference calls ago. He said that Tesla has ordered twice as many battery cells from suppliers as they plan to need for Automotive, and any extra cells will go straight into Tesla Energy products.

I expect that means lots more Powerwalls. Elon previously said Tesla's demand for powerwall is around 100K/yr but their production is only 10K/yr, again due to chips and cell supply constraints.

With Tesla adding in their own 4680 cells, I expect cell supply to ramp nicely in parallel with Auto growth. This is business critical for Tesla; I expect they'll be watching it most closely of all issues.

Cheers!
Exactly. Vehicles will be limited by production capacity. Energy will be limited by cells (or maybe either production capacity)

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tomas Pueyo (who famously explained the Covid-19 threat early in March 2020 to a small audience in Medium which eventually picked up steam and was hailed by the NY Times et al) has a new write-up on ... Elon Musk and his First Principles approach. I don't have the time to peruse this note, which is most likely very well thought out, but hopefully another TMC'er will pick up from here

What’s the heck going on?

People make mistakes. It's not all that uncommon regardless of the factory. That's assuming someone didn't just make this up to create more drama. That's not out of the question either.

One thing you can be certain of: Tesla does not have a policy that allows them to deliver cars with different tires on the left and right sides.