Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy s*** I get the service issues for some are bad and I believe (many, not all) of the complaints are legit. But just GD.

My Honda CR-V and my manual drive Ford Fiesta had, I dunno, eighteen trillion recalls and service notices in the few years i owned them when I was still too stupid to drive gas cars.

The heck do these Tesla complaints have to do with investing? We already know what the brand loyalty for Tesla is compared to the competitors.

Want to talk Tesla service and how it relates to investing? Here’s what you need to know: they’re aiming for break even near-term. Long term it’s going to be a profit MONSTER.

Tesla and Elon are pretty much lying about the long term goals of service. And the supercharger network as a profit center.

Some of y’all are dangerously short-sighted.

Reactions: MC3OZ
The myth that Tesla has terrible service is an attack that is popular and pretty easy to get traction on for a number of reasons:

1) Every brand has horror stories, just find those, focus on them and try to portray them as the norm rather than the exception.

2) Tesla is growing faster than any other brand This means they have a higher rate of hiring and a higher percentage of new employees to experienced hands.

3) You can test drive a car or ride in a co-worker's car to learn it's not junk. But you can't really try out Tesla Service until you actually buy the car. That makes an attack on the quality of service more effective and more difficult to debunk.

4) CV19 really has impacted supply chains and availability of quality employees. This is across all brands but that doesn't stop people from using it to focus on Tesla right now and act like it's specific to Tesla.

5) Tesla has strict policies their Service Reps are supposed to follow that are logical and make sense. So, when a spoiled customer who goes by the motto "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" tries their usual spoiled rotten BS to get Tesla to bend over backwards for them, they are shocked that it didn't work. Tesla doesn't "kiss ass" and some people just aren't accustomed to that They expect they will always be treated as if they are right. So they will vocally complain to anyone who will listen how terrible Tesla Service is. I saw some of that right here on TMC from earl Model S owners who are now long departed.

6) Tesla do not need a lot of regular service so when someone credible tells another owner how bad it's become it's easiest to just believe them (not having had any recent service experiences themselves that contradict that).

7) It's easy for people to forget how much BS they experienced at legacy auto dealerships. People just block negative experiences from their mind and go to another dealership.
This is a more realistic video on the topic:-

I agree that the bad experiences are real, and one unhappy customer is one too many.

I also agree that more service centres are needed, including one closer to where I live.

But I don't think it is right to assume Tesla doesn't care, or they are not trying to fix the issue.

For starters they can't just take any clumsy disinterested school leaver, or retired bus driver, and train them to be a service technician.

People have to want to do the job, have the right skills, attitude, knowledge, and in many cases the right people skills.

From time-to-time Tesla does need to be reminded of the importance of fixing the problem, or people assume they do.
More likely, they do know about the problem and are trying to fix it.

You know all these service bashing videos get many people hot headed when they walk into Tesla service. Their experience is tainted before even walking into the door. So many people I have heard complaining about absolutely nothing while I waited in line. Service really bend over backwards for their customers but these people are relentless. I haven't had any trouble with service. To top it off, I freaken love Tesla service. You know how many times dealer try to up sale me crap that I don't need? I go in for a brake squeak and they want to replace my rotors on a 25k mile car which are perfectly fine. My wife would have just said yes because she thought that would take away the squeak. Tesla never wanted to up sale me anything ever. And I love how we usually pre-diagnose the car problem via chat before even going in.

The myth that Tesla has terrible service is an attack that is popular and pretty easy to get traction on for a number of reasons:

1) Every brand has horror stories, just find those, focus on them and try to portray them as the norm rather than the exception.

2) Tesla is growing faster than any other brand This means they have a higher rate of hiring and a higher percentage of new employees to experienced hands.

3) You can test drive a car or ride in a co-worker's car to learn it's not junk. But you can't really try out Tesla Service until you actually buy the car. That makes an attack on the quality of service more effective and more difficult to debunk.

4) CV19 really has impacted supply chains and availability of quality employees. This is across all brands but that doesn't stop people from using it to focus on Tesla right now and act like it's specific to Tesla.

5) Tesla has strict policies their Service Reps are supposed to follow that are logical and make sense. So, when a spoiled customer who goes by the motto "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" tries their usual spoiled rotten BS to get Tesla to bend over backwards for them, they are shocked that it didn't work. Tesla doesn't "kiss ass" and some people just aren't accustomed to that They expect they will always be treated as if they are right. So they will vocally complain to anyone who will listen how terrible Tesla Service is. I saw some of that right here on TMC from earl Model S owners who are now long departed.

6) Tesla do not need a lot of regular service so when someone credible tells another owner how bad it's become it's easiest to just believe them (not having had any recent service experiences themselves that contradict that).

7) It's easy for people to forget how much BS they experienced at legacy auto dealerships. People just block negative experiences from their mind and go to another dealership.
My model X told me last week that it was due for a new 12V battery. I clicked the service link and had a friendly tech AT MY HOUSE in 16 hours to perform the service which took 20 minutes.
Why don’t those stories get reported on? Because they’re not dramatic enough…just relax, service is above industry average and btw the best service is no service.

My model X told me last week that it was due for a new 12V battery. I clicked the service link and had a friendly tech AT MY HOUSE in 16 hours to perform the service which took 20 minutes.
Why don’t those stories get reported on? Because they’re not dramatic enough…just relax, service is above industry average and btw the best service is no service.
I had the same experience just today for the same 12V battery for M3. I came out, unlock the door, pop the trunk, telling him I am going back to my zoom meeting. Got a message that it's done. cost $125.21. I had scheduled many services mostly on small things. Never had to wait long for a schedule slot. They always came within the schedule time and had the issue fix quickly. Personally I don't understand the complaints.

I had the same experience just today for the same 12V battery for M3. I came out, unlock the door, pop the trunk, telling him I am going back to my zoom meeting. Got a message that it's done. cost $125.21. I had scheduled many services mostly on small things. Never had to wait long for a schedule slot. They always came within the schedule time and had the issue fix quickly. Personally I don't understand the complaints.
Yeah even if you go through what Tesla service said about that one lady with the missing brake pad, the tech said it sounded normal but would like for her to bring it in just to make sure. It's literally in the text message chain and yet the entire world reported that Tesla service didn't care about her problems and said everything was within spec. I mean service people most likely watched the video on a phone/tablet with crappy speakers and couldn't definitively tell what was wrong.

You know all these service bashing videos get many people hot headed when they walk into Tesla service. Their experience is tainted before even walking into the door. So many people I have heard complaining about absolutely nothing while I waited in line. Service really bend over backwards for their customers but these people are relentless. I haven't had any trouble with service. To top it off, I freaken love Tesla service. You know how many times dealer try to up sale me crap that I don't need? I go in for a brake squeak and they want to replace my rotors on a 25k mile car which are perfectly fine. My wife would have just said yes because she thought that would take away the squeak. Tesla never wanted to up sale me anything ever. And I love how we usually pre-diagnose the car problem via chat before even going in.
Different people have different experience depending on where they live. I for one have experience many great, quick service while I also have several bad one. And the bad ones stuck out on my head more:

Some wait time are more than a month
In service 3 time for the same problem that was never fix: autopilot randomly swirl to left. 1 of the reason end up trading that model 3 with FSD to a Y
they still owe me 10k check for that trade in 5 months ago, many emails written, next to nothing respond - terrible communication, I think so.

So yes, different people have different perspective on Tesla service depending on what and where. Just my unpopular opinion.
This topic is tiresome already, so please move on from this.

To the questions regarding service on Ask, I sure as Hell hope that they don't give it lip service (again). There are also some obvious policy changes needed at Tesla as well; they're just getting to be friggin' rude these days . . . that's unbecoming.

Rich Rebuilds latest is likely just the tip of iceberg. What used to be the outstanding service of years ago, with easily available loaners and quick repairs is now often a three-week crap shoot just to get an appointment, with 4- or 5- or 6-year beat to heck Tesla trade-ins as Service Loaners, or Uber credits.

It takes years to build a reputation; it can be ruined in days; watch and cry:

I honestly think we need to stop giving click-bait platforms such as this space on TMC. Rich Rebuilds was a funny channel when he was rebuilding a trashed Model S in his spare time. Now that he has gone full-time Youtuber (not sure if his garage is making money?) he is reliant on views, likes, clicks etc. - and he has chosen to do it by trashing Tesla (see the battery replacement piece that blew up in his face).

I don't disagree with your take on Tesla service needing to improve (and that's been discussed here at length for years), and I too have mixed experiences with Tesla Service*, but please let's not make TMC an enabler for click-bait.

*excellent service experience just last week: I had the daylight running lights on my Model S replaced under warranty before Christmas last year due to the well-known yellowing issue. When I started driving with the new lights I thought they were adjusted too high, but wondered if they were simply brighter. So I left it alone. Until the other day when my partner drove the MS to pick me up from an appointment and it was dark. It was clear the lights were badly adjusted. Tried to make an appointment in the app to get service, 3 weeks away. Called the service center and asked if they could send a Ranger (no) - but they offered that I could just come by and they would take a look. So Friday I was in the area and stopped by. Service manager looked stressed and said they have no one (Omicron) free and I'd have to come back or wait 3-4h. I politely reminded him of the offer on the phone, mentioned I had time to wait, and he went in the back to see what could be done. 10min later, they take my key fob, 20min later the key fob is back, car is plugged in their DeC, and I'm super happy with the correctly adjusted lights. This service recovery was excellent and just what Tesla needs to be aiming for.

@ the mod who moved my post here: I purposely OT'd the service section of my post. I posted outside of trading hours.

The part of not feeding the click-baiters anymore has value for the main thread. Why is it being lumped in with the rest?

I wish you guys would apply your cleaning/deleting to all OT in the main thread. It just often seems arbitrary.

(I don't need a patronizing response as to why the mods act as they do - I appreciate that there are few of them and many shitposts, and they do it in their free time)

If you feel like deleting this post, please do me the courtesy of a PM explaining why. Then I can self-moderate my future involvement in the thread.

@ the mod who moved my post here: I purposely OT'd the service section of my post. I posted outside of trading hours.

The part of not feeding the click-baiters anymore has value for the main thread. Why is it being lumped in with the rest?

I wish you guys would apply your cleaning/deleting to all OT in the main thread. It just often seems arbitrary.

(I don't need a patronizing response as to why the mods act as they do - I appreciate that there are few of them and many shitposts, and they do it in their free time)

If you feel like deleting this post, please do me the courtesy of a PM explaining why. Then I can self-moderate my future involvement in the thread.
Mods have all the power and their judgement seems suspect to me, likely from their own bias? If they've had decent service experiences and can get an appointment, then the huge number of stunningly bad service experiences from others has no bearing, as far as they are concerned, on TSLA the stock . . . .

It's odd how they feel that way, but they sure seem to.

I guess that as long as more keep buying Tesla, service failures just get shuffled away from the investor thread--"We don't discuss that here!" is their motto?

Weird.

We lost a LOT of great posters over the years from heavy-handed Mods, but there's basically one board for Tesla topics because TMC built it first. Sigh.

Reactions: FS_FRA
Moving posts about service out of the main thread has nothing to do with bias. It has to do with the fact that the discussion always leads to an avalanche of posts (and bickering), as most people on this forum own a Tesla and have therefore had good or bad service experiences, so everyone feels the need to chime in. It then quickly becomes an exchange of complaints and praise.

We've been through this many times over the last few years, It is not helpful, not for investors and also not for the legibility of the investor thread. TMC is bigger than this thread, so any investor interested in how people experience Tesla service can visit dozens of others threads covering this subject. Or the special service thread in this section that was set up years ago.

And yes, moving posts about service while leaving posts about other off topic or even trivial things, is arbitrary. But it's the sheer amounts of posts and the repetitiveness that do not help the service discussion case.

Moving posts about service out of the main thread has nothing to do with bias. It has to do with the fact that the discussion always leads to an avalanche of posts (and bickering), as most people on this forum own a Tesla and have therefore had good or bad service experiences, so everyone feels the need to chime in. It then quickly becomes an exchange of complaints and praise.

We've been through this many times over the last few years, It is not helpful, not for investors and also not for the legibility of the investor thread. TMC is bigger than this thread, so any investor interested in how people experience Tesla service can visit dozens of others threads covering this subject. Or the special service thread in this section that was set up years ago.

And yes, moving posts about service while leaving posts about other off topic or even trivial things, is arbitrary. But it's the sheer amounts of posts and the repetitiveness that do not help the service discussion case.
There are really only three kinds of service posts. People like me who continually have had good service. People who have actually had poor service. And people who have a lot in common with The Princess and the Pea.

Reactions: ggr and StealthP3D
Hope the rest of you in the NE have your snow shovels ready… 😕
Or, ya know…

38852CF4-AAD5-4CA0-891E-2678C3115A79.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Cape Coddess