Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the cost disparity is what strikes me. A sidewinder costs around $400K. But I guess they didn’t have many other options since the F22 ceiling is 60,000 feet and the balloon was higher, so they couldn’t use the F22‘s guns. Time to roll out that fancy laser system the navy is testing (Although not sure it has a reach of 12 miles either!).
Well, if it’s a spy ballon and they managed to see thru the crappy weather into my yard and driveway then this is what they saw. Hope they can afford the therapy. (And it’s a good thing it wasn’t summer, I tend to dress skimpier when it’s hot out.

Just sayin.

3DFAA1C7-2511-4F48-8F40-8BC203E38AA8.jpeg

If the production doubles every two years then the sum of production also doubles every two years (to a first approximation)

consider sequence 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ... , 2^n where n is the production after n periods of 2 years

then sum( 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ... , 2^n ) = 2^(n+1) -1

after two more years production is 2^(n+1) = 2 x 2^n and cumulative production is 2^(n+1+1) - 1 = 2 x 2^(n+1) - 1
So you're saying the value of the next binary digit is one more than the sum of all previous digits? And that it is also double the previous digit?
😃😉

Everyone I know is disgusted with Elon and will not buy a Tesla. They will find another brand of EV. That is my gut.
I typically leave politics off this site, since it isn't appropriate here. But I feel the need to respond to a post that is based on nothing more than a political position.

Everyone I know is supportive of Elon and appreciate his efforts to formulate a neutral, non-biased social media company. And even more are supportive of his efforts to expose the degree to which our government manipulated social media, encouraged the elimination of certain accounts and deletion of tweets that didn't promote the approved message from our government. I know people considering Teslas that formerly had no interest simply because of Musk.

Now, as I have said before, I don't expect major swings or impacts there. After all, Jeff Bezos owns one of the most "far-left" media sites in the country-and conservatives still use Amazon. Same with Gates and Excel or Windows. In the end, people generally separate their purchasing decisions from their politics.

Last edited:
I typically leave politics off this site, since it isn'tt appropriate here. But I feel the need to respond to a post that is based on nothing more than a political position.

Everyone I know is supportive of Elon and appreciate his efforts to formulate a neutral, non-biased social media company. And even more are supportive of his efforts to expose the degree to which our government manipulated social media, encouraged the elimination of certain accounts and deletion of tweets that didn't promote the approved message from our government. I know people considering Teslas that formerly had no interest simply because of Musk.

Now, as I have said before, I don't expect major swings or impacts there. After all, Jeff Bezos owns one of the most "far-left" media sites in the country-and conservatives still use Amazon. Same with Gates and Excel or Windows. In the end, people generally separate their purchasing decisions from their politics.
And price of purchase, esp with cars, is a huge factor.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
I typically leave politics off this site, since it isn'tt appropriate here. But I feel the need to respond to a post that is based on nothing more than a political position.

There isn't a retail mafia after Amazon the way fossil fuel is after tesla, so there is a difference. However mute point they will keep some gullible people from getting the best experience and wage a few wars and become obsolete anyways.

In other news, Ukrainian minister pushes back against the narrative that Starlink functionality has been restricted:

Quote: "Indeed, changes were made to geofencing a few months ago, but as of now, all the Starlink terminals in Ukraine work properly. Today we received the first few thousand of Starlinks as part of a 10,000 terminal batch from the German government."

Details: Fedorov called Ilon Musk "one of the biggest private donors of our future victory" and remarked that Starlinks help save thousands of lives, support the energy infrastructure of Ukraine, allow medics to carry out complex operations and provide Invincibility Centres with the Internet.

Quote: "The contribution of the SpaceX company is estimated to be more than US$100 million. We hope for further stable work by Starlinks in Ukraine."

OT
The impact of the 7.8 earthquake in Turkey and Syria is horrendous and horrible. Not only over 21,000 dead, but all the people left without a home, food, water, electricity, and especially heat in the middle of the winter. I've been wondering how Tesla and SpaceX could help. Tesla perhaps sending Megapacks and solar panels to provide electricity, SpaceX providing Starlinks for Internet search and communication. I'm sure Elon and the teams are thinking about it. It would also be great if the folks that build the tents that Tesla has used so well could provide some for temporary housing where the electricity can be utilized for lights and heaters.

Unfortunately this will take time, months not days. But the quicker something like this could be implemented the better. When I think of those poor people suffering from this catastrophe, it makes me cry. Surely something like this is being considered... at least I hope so.

I'd post this on the blue bird, but I've been suspended for some reason, don't know why. If one or more of our more prolific posters could send a message to Elon communicating this, I would sincerely appreciate it.
He already offered Starlink service, Turkish government declined the offer:

He already offered Starlink service, Turkish government declined the offer:

Thanks for that. Turkey already has enough satellite service? Have they checked after the quake? The beauty of Starlink is it's capability of being deployed anywhere there is power, which can be supplied by solar panels and Megapacks/energy storage. Rather myopic view by the Turkey official IMO. Then again, I'm not standing in his shoes...

Reactions: betstarship
Thanks for that. Turkey already has enough satellite service? Have they checked after the quake? The beauty of Starlink is it's capability of being deployed anywhere there is power, which can be supplied by solar panels and Megapacks/energy storage. Rather myopic view by the Turkey official IMO. Then again, I'm not standing in his shoes...
There's more to the story than that. The Turkish government is trying to restrict internet access for fear of people badmouthing the administration. They have already cut off Twitter access by their citizens.

I got NY Steak this weekend from Costco for 7.99 so CPI is a lock to be good.
Hey, given Tesla exists to help save our only planet, why not get on board with not eating the flesh of murdered animals too?

Eventually, Tesla will be a 100% vegan company (not just their products), which will further accelerate the mission (and our stock rise, which it really needs since were back below $200 again).

Details, from the UN FAO, here:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source: COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Hey, given Tesla exists to help save our only planet, why not get on board with not eating the flesh of murdered animals too?

Eventually, Tesla will be a 100% vegan company (not just their products), which will further accelerate the mission (and our stock rise, which it really needs since were back below $200 again).

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Livestock recycles carbon that's already in play. The carbon in fossil fuel is carbon that was, long ago, taken out of the game. You are misguidedly giving up both health and pleasure by not eating meat.

By the way, I literally just finished eating one of those steaks. Actually half of one, it was very large. I'm hoping my son doesn't eat the other half tonight so I can have it with my eggs in the morning.

I did a little reading on the subject, but haven't done a deep dive. Also found this article interesting but also didn't deep dive.

I do think statistics aren't always as clear as we might think, especially when we apply our bias to them i.e. whether we are a vegan or a meat eater.

Livestock recycles carbon that's already in play. The carbon in fossil fuel is carbon that was, long ago, taken out of the game. You are misguidedly giving up both health and pleasure by not eating meat.

By the way, I literally just finished eating one of those steaks. Actually half of one, it was very large. I'm hoping my son doesn't eat the other half tonight so I can have it with my eggs in the morning.

I did a little reading on the subject, but haven't done a deep dive. Also found this article interesting but also didn't deep dive.

I do think statistics aren't always as clear as we might think, especially when we apply our bias to them i.e. whether we are a vegan or a meat eater.
Both of these are inaccurate but this is the proper thread to discuss further: