Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.

And here I thought the Astrodome was radical when it was new. That stadium is sci-fi/Transformers-level cool.

GelreDome in the Netherlands has been built in 1998 with a retractable pitch and a retractable roof, so not a first.

The choice for a retractable pitch was made because of bad experiences with natural grass in stadium structures, and to allow multiple uses.

Lighting and sound equipment trucks can drive straight up onto where the pitch was to facilitate ultra-fast load-in/load-out times.

Last edited:
Here is yet another Cybertruck wrap.
F6e2nk4bcAAoyO5

I haven't seen much discussion of the Cybertruck wraps in regard to how it could represent an opportunity to increase margins on the vehicle. There have been many, many different wraps spotted and Tesla has gotten quite creative with them. They must be relatively easy to design and apply.

I suspect that the Cybertruck design studio might include the ability for customers to create their own wraps that would be applied at the factory. It could use an AI image generator so that the customer could say something like, "Wrap my Cybertruck in the style of Salvador Dali".

Could Tesla charge an extra $10k for this? Maybe even $15k? I think so. And Tesla could easily do this much cheaper than the labor-intensive process used by aftermarket providers.
Could you imagine the warranty nightmares for this if offered?

Customer: "I parked my CT outside in 100+ degree heat for 6 months out of the year and now my wrap is degraded and looks like 💩 . I want you to redo it"
Tesla: "Within spec sir/madam" :)

Customer: "I parked my CT outside in 100+ degree heat for 6 months out of the year and now my wrap is degraded and looks like 💩 . I want you to redo it"
And for the last few weeks, that's been one of the cooler temperatures.

Aftermarket shops have the same kind of warranty exposure and they do a brisk business. I don't think Elon is scared of warranty issues.

Small businesses don't get class action suits.
Can you imagine the ridiculous FUD if one of TSLAQ got a hold of a wrapped CT?

"What happened was, the glare off the wrap was so bright, it hurt my eyes and i closed them for a second while on FSD. Next thing i know, my CT suddenly accelerated unexpectedly and hit an emergency vehicle that was parked on the side of the street, and then proceeded to run a stop sign while a kid was crossing the street" 🥴 🥴 🥴

Can you imagine the ridiculous FUD if one of TSLAQ got a hold of a wrapped CT?

"What happened was, the glare off the wrap was so bright, it hurt my eyes and i closed them for a second while on FSD. Next thing i know, my CT suddenly accelerated unexpectedly and hit an emergency vehicle that was parked on the side of the street, and then proceeded to run a stop sign while a kid was crossing the street" 🥴 🥴 🥴

Are you a journalist ?

/s

• Funny
Reactions: 2daMoon
Aftermarket shops have the same kind of warranty exposure and they do a brisk business.

And if Fred is out sick one day it doesn't set production goals for a massive factory back.

Tesla won't even do homelink installs at the factory, despite it being objectively "easier" to do it while building the car than sending a mobile ranger to do it after the fact because slowing things down by installing them in some, but not all, cars is not acceptable to them.

If it adds complexity to getting it out of the factory Tesla is not interested in doing it.

Keep in mind too- when you DO have a problem with Freds work you bring it back to Fred and he fixes it.

If the factory applies a wrap and you have an issue, it's going to a LOCAL service center or ranger- not back to the factory. So now you need to train all of them how to fix or redo a wrap (by hand- not with whatever imaginary new robot-wrapper you think Tesla invented)--- and have stuff in the supply chain for them to do it.

Not happening.

Wrapping a CT is weird to me. It is supposed to be the model we don't care about its exterior.
Spending a dime for wrapping stainless steel? I am not even going to wash mine.
I’ll be wrapping mine after I get it clear coated. Lots of options.

1695321943682.jpeg

SS does rust boys and girls; it’s just a time thing. Scratches, polishing and the like will expose it and quicken the rusting process. Some people aren’t going to like how SS gets a patina. And yes, I plan on using this truck as if the apocalypse happened the day I pick it up.

I’ll be wrapping mine after I get it clear coated. Lots of options.

View attachment 975994

SS does rust boys and girls; it’s just a time thing. Scratches, polishing and the like will expose it and quicken the rusting process. Some people aren’t going to like how SS gets a patina. And yes, I plan on using this truck as if the apocalypse happened the day I pick it up.
The HORROR!?!!

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Here's Joe's GigaTexas update video from today.

At about the 22 minute mark he zooms in to show a Model Y in the crash test facility with two crash dummies in the front seats.

Do you think they'll let us name them? I was thinking Gordon and Mark would be good names for these dummies?

Enjoy

I prefer 🤡 and 🚽, I think they are more deserving of emojis than names

FUD comes at you from all angles, not just MSM.

Wife's Long Range Y barely 5 week old died a horrible, infant mortality death of a (probably) power control module affecting the driver side, disabling everything with a power lock. Sigh.

The FUD? Not this post, but the tow truck driver who said, "yeah, these Tesla cars are junk! I tow 6-8 a week. They just die at an intersection!"

Right. No comment when I said my 7 year old S hasn't had a problem. Crickets.

FUD comes at you from all angles, not just MSM.

Wife's Long Range Y barely 5 week old died a horrible, infant mortality death of a (probably) power control module affecting the driver side, disabling everything with a power lock. Sigh.

The FUD? Not this post, but the tow truck driver who said, "yeah, these Tesla cars are junk! I tow 6-8 a week. They just die at an intersection!"

Right. No comment when I said my 7 year old S hasn't had a problem. Crickets.
Did you ask how many shares he's short?