Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No button, but guys have a butthole!

I think the last I semi officially hear was late March and there was semi confidence it would be early April.

We’re now basically mid April and no. Actually releases off public and beta builds have largely dried up.

The only speculation I have is that we’re either just around the corner or they’ve decided to go another direction and it’s going to be a good while, 3-6+ months month. The dropping of radar and the upcoming interface rewrite make me this it’s going to be yet another while, yet again. Possibly even Christmas or yet another into a future year.

Sigh.

One thing I’m hoping since they’re dropping radar and pushing more for one or two 180 degree cameras off the front bumpers. I still think it would in those off angle turn intersections where it’s obviously the current build either need assistance to proceed or go so close as to make people behind you think you have no idea how to drive.

My two cents.

My three cents is pretty much the same. But I’m pretty sure they have thrown in the towel on the current approach and have taken it as far as they can with existing hardware. At this point they'll be an effort to just let it kind of fade away and maybe stop selling FSD altogether. I would think a couple years or more before something like “the button” is possible. We paid for FSD on our model 3 and it’s fine. But we won’t be getting it on our model X later this summer.

JMHO.

My three cents is pretty much the same. But I’m pretty sure they have thrown in the towel on the current approach and have taken it as far as they can with existing hardware. At this point they'll be an effort to just let it kind of fade away and maybe stop selling FSD altogether. I would think a couple years or more before something like “the button” is possible. We paid for FSD on our model 3 and it’s fine. But we won’t be getting it on our model X later this summer.

JMHO.
after pre-paying for FSD 3 times now I completely opted out on my '21 Model S refresh and will pay whatever the monthly subscription price is whenever it is compelling enough to pay for. 1st time - shame on you..... 2nd time - shame on me..... 3rd time - I was a blinded idiot 🤦‍♂️ ...... NOT doing it a 4th time🚫

I think the last I semi officially hear was late March and there was semi confidence it would be early April.

We’re now basically mid April and no. Actually releases off public and beta builds have largely dried up.

The only speculation I have is that we’re either just around the corner or they’ve decided to go another direction and it’s going to be a good while, 3-6+ months month. The dropping of radar and the upcoming interface rewrite make me this it’s going to be yet another while, yet again. Possibly even Christmas or yet another into a future year.

Sigh.

One thing I’m hoping since they’re dropping radar and pushing more for one or two 180 degree cameras off the front bumpers. I still think it would in those off angle turn intersections where it’s obviously the current build either need assistance to proceed or go so close as to make people behind you think you have no idea how to drive.

My two cents.

I've seen no comment on them wanting to or trying to add more cameras. I believe they are just planning the switch from radar to vision based on the current package. I also think, based on Twitter talk, that they're trying to stich the cameras together at some stage with the NN which will help (somehow) with the vision only approach. That would be very interesting if it's the case, because the 360 view that Elon mentioned FSD owners would get in an update would essentially be a "freebie" on Tesla's part since they already have had to stitch together and work with a unified camera view for the FSD software stack.

Elon does like "cutting corners" compared to how the rest of the industry works, this would be a prime example for him. Make changes to the behind the scenes code while also using that work to release a feature that *should* help drive a premium option...