Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The button is only being pushed to those with FSD, so what percentage of owners have FSD? I’d imagine they could send it to all USA based FSD owners within a fairly short time frame. ( I have no idea if he’s only planning on sending it to USA based cars)

on a different note how many people who don’t have FSD might be thinking now is the time?
The FSD software exists is all cars, in all firmwares, it's only a matter of activating it. I would think it would be unwise to not deploy to everyone at once, because the odds that people would buy/subscribe when it's out are higher, and they should be good to go whenever they subscribe. Would look good to Tesla, that's all.

Reactions: Iain
The FSD software exists is all cars, in all firmwares, it's only a matter of activating it. I would think it would be unwise to not deploy to everyone at once, because the odds that people would buy/subscribe when it's out are higher, and they should be good to go whenever they subscribe. Would look good to Tesla, that's all.
They can always download to people who subscribe, as they subscribe.

Reactions: helvio and momo3605

Once someone subscribes, Tesla can push the version with the button to their cars. For the time being though, it makes a lot more sense to push the button update to only those with FSD. We already know that for mass releases, Tesla has to stagger releases out over multiple days. If they limit the button update to just FSD owners to start, we can all get it much sooner. That's preferable in my opinion.

Once someone subscribes, Tesla can push the version with the button to their cars. For the time being though, it makes a lot more sense to push the button update to only those with FSD. We already know that for mass releases, Tesla has to stagger releases out over multiple days. If they limit the button update to just FSD owners to start, we can all get it much sooner. That's preferable in my opinion.
BTW, the reason for staggered release is not (just) bandwidth. It is to figure out if there are unforeseen issues using A/B tests. Its normal for the industry to stagger the release.

Reactions: kavyboy and helvio
BTW, the reason for staggered release is not (just) bandwidth. It is to figure out if there are unforeseen issues using A/B tests. Its normal for the industry to stagger the release.
sometimes they do it for A/B sure, but i think bandwidth is also a big factor. You can look at teslafi. There is a "first" batch, that will get an update and it'll pause for a few days, but then when it rolls out in mass, it still take several days or up to a week for all cars to get it.

You'd continue to A/B test for a while as you roll out.

You don't need to A/B test forever. There's not that many variations. We aren't talking about something like Android going onto thousands of hardware variations. Look at Apple, they release update to all devices immediately, but they do have an update requested queue which helps them manage bandwidth.

Anyway, even if you want to win this argument and they only stagger releases for A/B testing, and somehow have infinite bandwidth, my point still stands, release to fewer people (like those with FSD that can use the button...) lol

Anyway, even if you want to win this argument and they only stagger releases for A/B testing, my point still stands, release to fewer people (like those with FSD that can use the button...) lol
I don't care about winning any arguments - just want to understand the reasons for stagger.

Even with all that I've said - yes, fewer people will mean faster rollout - ofcourse.

Reactions: momo3605
Seems like it could have started?

Hmm no that can't be it. It's rolling out to Europeans, and they are coming from the previous 32.x releases. FSD owners are still on 24.11. And FSD Beta will only be available to US for the near future. Lots of indicators pointing to this not being the "button"

if the request ("rate my driving") button is coming today, it's a lot of cars to push it to at once, no longer just the beta testers group, it's now the whole FSD group. I would expect the download to have already started in waves. Clock is ticking
No, you are making an assumption this is the only way to get the button. There are other ways. Example, it is possible for a car to check the status of "flags" on the server when being polled and connecting with the mother ship. If certain flags are activated, then options can change in the car. I am NOT saying this is how the "button" works. Just saying the car has ways of almost instantaneously changing status that is not as of yet being used. And as for pushed updates, you might be shocked how many cars can get it at the same time.

Reactions: FlyF4 and KidsEyeDr
No, you are making an assumption this is the only way to get the button. There are other ways. Example, it is possible for a car to check the status of "flags" on the server when being polled and connecting with the mother ship. If certain flags are activated, then options can change in the car. I am NOT saying this is how the "button" works. Just saying the car has ways of almost instantaneously changing status that is not as of yet being used. And as for pushed updates, you might be shocked how many cars can get it at the same time.
I don't even know why the "button" needs to come to the car. They could have just pushed it to the mobile or just asked interested people to log the request on the website. Button was a bad idea, design-wise - but a cool marketing stunt.

I purchased FSD with my Model 3 over three years ago, so suspect I would be among those getting the "button." My last firmware update is 2021.24.11. I noticed that 2021.24.11 and 2021.24.12 were only released in the U.S. (looking at TeslaFi's data), unlike the more recent updates (which all went out to several other countries in addition to the U.S.). It might make sense that if there's a firmware update correlated to the button, that it would have just gone out to U.S. customers for the time being. One flaw with my wild guess is that 2021.24.11 and 2021.24.12 look to have just been sent to Models 3 and Y. Not sure how S and X would be accounted for.