Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I was on autopilot the entire time I would have been fine.
I will stay off my shorter route from my house until the 7 days are up then deal with the numerous head on collision issues with this road.

Off topic from the post above but keeping everything in one post:
The past two days I drove about 50 miles each day and had a perfect score of 100 both days. I did not use AP at all but I did use the traffic-aware cruise control. My secret is to mash the accelerator all the way down and cruise under a yellow light vs hitting the brakes. Sad but it works.. and of course I gradually bring my speed back down after passing under. My car set on chill so it's not really hard acceleration. I find it weird you can accelerate as hard as you want and drive as fast as you want with no safety penalty. I really wish the safety app would up the deceleration limits with lights. At 25 MPH vs 65 MPH a yellow light stays yellow the same amount of time.

Last edited:
Gonna again share my tips here... don't have to drive like granny at all. But you do have to be mindful.

I drive in chill / regen normal / hold mode / Autopilot NoAP enabled / lane change confirmation enabled / speed-based lane changes disabled / traffic light & stop sign detection enabled / speed limit set to +8% (relative) / exit passing lane enabled (don't you disable that i swear to god lol).
When I want to change lanes, I just signal it (full pull of the blinker stick) and let it work. AP will never make an unsafe lane change (it sees cars approaching quickly from behind and will delay the change until it's safe - either they slow or they pass), and any "incidents" with AP enabled don't count against you.

The most mindful thing I have to keep track of is slowing before turns. I always tend to take quicker turns (much like traffic, but a little faster), and that was the first and biggest thing to ding me on my very first trip. Second thing that caught me was creeping out into a blind-corner intersection, seeing a car coming, whapping on the brake. Welp.

Let AP do the traffic light management for you. If it has to stop suddenly at a yellow (as I ended up being caught with, on today's most recent trip), AP will mask the braking. I still got 100% on that trip.

1632784252342.png

I do think there's something very wrong with the "unsafe following distance" calculation, as mine globally sits at 52% but that description makes no sense: percentage of time spent following an unsafe distance? There is no way that is accurately being applied/counted here. Most of the time I'm not on AP, I'm a "distracted driver" distance away from other cars. From what I can see here and in other posts, this displayed value is wildly inconsistent and I'm pretty sure there's a bug in the percentage display, but the resulting score is okay.

Last edited:
One potentially unavoidable crap situation: when some swag douchecake treats a "yield" sign as a "merge" sign and jams their tiny-dickmobile between your nose and the next car's arse, at whatever speed they feel like (usually "half asleep, have fun behind me"). AP doesn't really detect those kinds of actions happening, and if you leave it on, you're gonna run them off the road. Whether or not it's your job to avoid that situation is, well... hmm. But the only action you have is to disengage AP and fall back, because AGAIN: there is no way to inhibit acceleration on AP without disengaging (as there is to accelerate) - the asymmetry of which bugs me a lot. And if you disengage AP, well, guess who gets dinged for unsafe following distance 😤

Thankfully that hasn't happened yet in my safety-score-bonanza period, but ugh it definitely does happen.

Last edited:
One potentially unavoidable crap situation: when some swag douchecake treats a "yield" sign as a "merge" sign and jams their tiny-dickmobile between your nose and the next car's arse, at whatever speed they feel like (usually "half asleep, have fun behind me"). AP doesn't really detect those kinds of actions happening, and if you leave it on, you're gonna run them off the road. Whether or not it's your job to avoid that situation is, well... hmm. But the only action you have is to disengage AP and fall back, because AGAIN: there is no way to inhibit acceleration on AP without disengaging (as there is to accelerate) - the asymmetry of which bugs me a lot. And if you disengage AP, well, guess who gets dinged for unsafe following distance 😤

Thankfully that hasn't happened yet in my safety-score-bonanza period, but ugh it definitely does happen.
Spin down your autopilot speed (ie right scroll wheel) proactively when you see a situation (like you’re describing) potentially about to happen. Doesn’t ding your score.

edit: I drive super conservatively so to be clear I’m usually decelerating proactively (ie spinning the scroll wheel) in 5-10 mph increments, so yes I’m looking way ahead.

idk if spinning 20-30 mph off your AP speed limit in a second or two would negatively ding your score

Spin down your autopilot speed (ie right scroll wheel) proactively when you see a situation (like you’re describing) potentially about to happen. Doesn’t ding your score.

edit: I drive super conservatively so to be clear I’m usually decelerating proactively (ie spinning the scroll wheel) in 5-10 mph increments, so yes I’m looking way ahead.

idk if spinning 20-30 mph off your AP speed limit in a second or two would negatively ding your score
It wouldn't. It seems that any action as long as the "AP is active" flag is set (read: those blue icons on the dash) is ignored.

Problem is, AP is really laggy to respond to basically anything. It used to be, that if I whip down the speed setting, it'd "brake" (without braking) instantly to match. Now, though, I can whip it down -5, -10, -15... and it's like *Yawn* okay, we're going 68, 67, 66... (is set to 50 because there's stopped cars ahead)... O DAM THERES STOPPED CARS AHEAD 54 45 38 HIKE

Also, when this happens, typically I'm following another car going 60 (thus the large gap & the idiot merging at 40), set is 70, so 2 flicks already wasted, only 4-6 more flicks to elicit an action from AP.

I really, really wish there was a stick action (like holding the stick half-down, as I got relentlessly brutalized for suggesting on Reddit a couple years ago) that I could take to temporarily & instantly inhibit acceleration and slow down without disengaging AP.

Reactions: BitJam
New information has come down on 2 iPads from Lord Elongated Muskrat: (i jest with the highest respect)

Quote preserved in text:
Wow, lot of interest in FSD beta! Plan is to roll out version 10.2 midnight Friday, then on-ramp ~1000 owners/day, prioritized by safety rating.
Awesome to hear! What’s minimum safety rating to get beta?
First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.
Y'all better be on TIP TOP behavior ;)

This is a really bad way to do a rollout like this. Finally happened to me, something outside of my control despite everyone here saying it's always the driver's fault. Driving through my neighborhood, 25mph, 6am (dark). I see deer on the side of the road, so I slow down and slightly steer towards the middle of the road, trying my best to appease the "smoothness" factor that the safety app generates rather than an actual safety factor. Safety score 96 for the morning commute, 10.6% aggressive turning. It was a perfectly smooth and safe maneuver, but the safety score detected >.4G of turning on that little swerve to maintain maximum distance from danger, and it docked me. If I had just ignored the deer, assuming they wouldn't cross in front of me, I wouldn't have been docked.

Nice to see that it brought my overall score down to 99 for driving safely, so now I won't be in the initial wide rollout of FSD. Fun to see as well that the wide release is already pushed a week back while these monitors are active.

So to the people saying everything is always in your control as the driver, and 100% isn't hard to get no matter what, do you just drive at 5mph anywhere the woods on the sides of the road aren't lit with stadium lighting?

One general observation is that those complaining about how safety score is unfairly dinging them are actually learning that they do not drive nearly as safely as they believe they do.
On my phone and couldn’t see how to give this a thumbs down. Your general observation is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but your general observation is not shared by the vast majority.

This is a really bad way to do a rollout like this. Finally happened to me, something outside of my control despite everyone here saying it's always the driver's fault. Driving through my neighborhood, 25mph, 6am (dark). I see deer on the side of the road, so I slow down and slightly steer towards the middle of the road, trying my best to appease the "smoothness" factor that the safety app generates rather than an actual safety factor. Safety score 96 for the morning commute, 10.6% aggressive turning. It was a perfectly smooth and safe maneuver, but the safety score detected >.4G of turning on that little swerve to maintain maximum distance from danger, and it docked me. If I had just ignored the deer, assuming they wouldn't cross in front of me, I wouldn't have been docked.

Nice to see that it brought my overall score down to 99 for driving safely, so now I won't be in the initial wide rollout of FSD. Fun to see as well that the wide release is already pushed a week back while these monitors are active.

So to the people saying everything is always in your control as the driver, and 100% isn't hard to get no matter what, do you just drive at 5mph anywhere the woods on the sides of the road aren't lit with stadium lighting?
The idea isn't to keep a 100. Luckily I still have a 100, but I'd imagine that will drop sooner than later. As you pointed out, there are things beyond your control. I think they said they expect most drivers to be around 80.

Thay being said, driving slow enough to react to anything "smoothly" Is possibly a good insurance risk indicator, but not a good indicator of quick reaction time, which is what is needed when monitoring FSD Beta.

Reactions: GeoffEV
On my phone and couldn’t see how to give this a thumbs down. Your general observation is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but your general observation is not shared by the vast majority.
It's not opinion. It's based on statistical modeling. If you get a lower score you're more likely to get in an accident. To think otherwise, is denial.

Determining Your Safety Score​

In order to calculate your daily Safety Score, we use the Predicted Collision Frequency (PCF) formula below to predict how many collisions may occur per 1 million miles driven, based on your driving behaviors measured by your Tesla vehicle.

Predicted Collision Frequency (PCF) = 0.682854x1.014495Forward Collision Warning per 1,000 Miles
x1.127294Hard Braking
x1.019630Aggresive Turning
x1.001444Unsafe Following Time
x1.317958Forced Autopilot Disengagement

The current formula was derived based on statistical modeling using 6 billion miles of fleet data. We expect to make changes to the formula in the future as we gain more customer and data insights.

The PCF is converted into a 0 to 100 Safety Score using the following formula:

Safety Score = 115.382324 - 22.526504xPCF

Your daily Safety Score is not impacted by the number of miles or hours you drive. We combine your daily Safety Scores (up to 30 days) into a mileage-weighted average to calculate the aggregated Safety Score, which is displayed on the main ‘Safety Score’ screen of the Tesla app.