Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh No, My Paint!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have all these little linear chips in my paint on the back of my falcon wing doors where they flare out. I haven't driven in any gravel.... just normal California winter driving. It looks like the front tires fling debris up toward the doors and that little flared section on the FWD catches it with enough force to damage the paint. Has anyone else seen this on their MX? Would mud flaps help? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to touch up the paint?

Sorry, for some reason TMC won't let me upload images today, will try to post some later.

Please send pictures. I wouldn't get mud flaps as they decrease range
I have all these little linear chips in my paint on the back of my falcon wing doors where they flare out. I haven't driven in any gravel.... just normal California winter driving. It looks like the front tires fling debris up toward the doors and that little flared section on the FWD catches it with enough force to damage the paint. Has anyone else seen this on their MX? Would mud flaps help? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to touch up the paint?

Ok. You may want to think about paint protection film. Best thing ever.

I can't get any images to load today, so here is a link to the photos on a Google Doc: MX Paint Damage

I wrapped my front hood/bumper and front quarter panels. I didn't think my doors would get impacted with grit. Honestly, I have never seen what happened to my car in one year, happen to any other car. At this rate, this section of the doors would be completely stripped of paint in three years. What is with that Tesla paint?

I've never heard any forum member mention this. Is it because every model X owner wrap their entire car?
No way that's normal use. I've seen a handful of 15k+ miles MX and never seen anything close to that. I didn't notice protection on those cars. The only time I hear rocks hitting my side is when I'm turning on loose gravel.

The pictures uploaded were taken on gravel o_O... Possible that when turning and accelerating on gravel, rocks get kicked up.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I have all these little linear chips in my paint on the back of my falcon wing doors where they flare out. I haven't driven in any gravel.... just normal California winter driving.
I looked at your photos you linked to. I'm not blaming you for all that paint damage, but your photo shows your car on a gravel surface and yet you posted "I haven't driven in any gravel". Which I find confusing.

Your paint damage certainly does seem unusual. The only solution I see is to repaint the entire door and then put film over it.

So my question is, are there any ultrasonic sensors in the X front doors and will covering them with a film interfere with their operation?

Reactions: Ryansmitty13
There are sensors in all the doors in the X, but they are hidden by the aluminum skin. So the sensors would be completely unaffected by film.

The front doors do not have sensors. Only the FWDs. And while film likely won't interfere with the sensors, they could (but so far it seems everyone wraps without issue). I've also heard that the paint on the FWDs is purposely thinner to help avoid sensor issues.

Not sure what I'm seeing, but that orange peel doesn't look right on the higher portion of the panel. Is the chipping happening symmetrically, on the other side? If not, I'd get a cheap paint gauge from Ebay and see if the factory re-sprayed this FWD.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Not sure what I'm seeing, but that orange peel doesn't look right on the higher portion of the panel. Is the chipping happening symmetrically, on the other side? If not, I'd get a cheap paint gauge from Ebay and see if the factory re-sprayed this FWD.

That is just a some water that has not dried off yet. I noticed the chipped paint when I washed the car, so there was still some water on the door.