Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh the hype! Cadillac CTS vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having some paint work done to my Model S P85 and I'll be without my car for the rest of the week. I rented a car from Enterprise and when I want to pick it up it was a Cadillac CTS. The folks at Enterprise acted like I should be thrilled to have a CTS. Not so. Here'e the BS GM uses to describe the CTS -- highlights mine:

The prestige sedan has been reinvented. With the first-ever CT6, Cadillac embarks on a bold journey that sets the new standard for excellence. Innovatively engineered and beautifully crafted, the CT6 combines advanced technology with breathtaking design. Matching the available 3.0L V6 Twin Turbo engine is an entirely new, lightweight vehicle architecture for a superb driving experience that is agile, solid, and secure. And every journey delivers the utmost comfort and convenience for all with optional Bose® Panaray®Sound System featuring 34 speakers, individual climate control and extended comfort seats with five massage settings. The result is a daring expression of ambition.

What a crock! It's hard to believe they actually pay someone to write this kind of stuff. I'm breathless alright, but from the hype, not from the performance or quality of the CT6. It's a decent car, but the performance, ride quality, and road noise fall way short of the Model S. Makes me very happy that Tesla does no paid advertising and tends to avoid this kind of hyperbole.

It's been less than eight hours but I miss my Tesla:)

The local store rented me a CTS for the 120 mile drive to pick up my S in December. Awful, just awful, Not only that, but Enterprise did not give me enough to fuel to make the trip. So I had to go buy gas. A fitting end to an era.

Profit is GM's number one priority. Amazing cars is Tesla's. Or perhaps it is changing the world order with respect to motor vehicles. Clearly, neither of those are GM's or they would be producing different cars. I can't think of any other way to sum up why GM continues to build mediocre cars when they have more resources than almost every other car maker.

It make me sad to see the once pinnacle of American industrial might compromise so much.

Reactions: Maximus8
The folks at Enterprise acted like I should be thrilled to have a CTS.
I had the exact same response from the Enterprise employee who was handing over the keys to a Ford Escape, while my MS was being worked on. She was shocked and amazed that this unknown car insurance company "Tesla Motors" had such a high daily reimbursement rate. I was less than thrilled to have to drive the Escape for a day.

Huh. I was always impressed by the CTS. I found it to be a comfortable and competent vehicle for the price (just over 50% of the base Model S), and I thought the CTS-V was perhaps the best reasonably-priced sedan coming out of a traditional automaker. We looked for a used one but couldn't find a manual wagon available for sale. I haven't driven a CT6 yet, but I'm a bit surprised it's worse.

I didn't enjoy my time in an ICE rental recently, but you can do a LOT worse than a CTS.

Reactions: Caligula
You see what they charge for one of those new Cadillacs? Crazy. GM it's banking on most people not thinking of Tesla as an option.
They can write all the marketing nonsense they want, and spend a fortune on anti-fair trade lobbying at the statehouse, but it's not going to deliver a competitive vehicle. Come on GM, America's needs you to make a quantum leap here, not become the oil industry and stick your head in the sand.

Holy bat guano Robin!!

OK, there is a CTS and a CT6. You can't rent CT6's AFAIK, they just came out, and GM sharply curtailed their rental sales. You won't see many new GMs on the lot at rental agencies.