Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
super disappointed. No budget for a car much over $35k, and it just makes better short-term sense to buy a decently optioned Accord or even base TLX. Leather, power heated seats, overall good driving experience, unlimited range.

I'm so ticked since I've been a devout Tesla fan for years just waiting to be able to afford to get in the game. But $35k for a base Civic just seems crazy to me, EV or not.

Reactions: N5329K
As far as I know, the bundling is only for the "launch" edition of the Model 3. At some future date, it will be unbundled. Elon said something a while back about having a single launch configuration available to help streamline production that would deliver most quickly, and it makes sense that this would be the car with the best margins.
Right, it's not bundled, per se, it's one production type for the time being. The only bundle right now is the PUP, which, as with the S and X, is to help the assembly line process. The motors, the batteries, etc., will be separated when the line gets up to speed.

Keycard or FOB - with either you have to carry them with you (no difference)
There's a difference. How many fobs have you owned that failed to unlock your car? My number for that is zero. How many key cards have you used that failed to open a hotel room? My number is a lot more than zero. My daughter went through key card hell last fall trying to get into her dorm room. And unlocking your car from twenty feet away with the press of a button is not the same as walking up to your car, dropping whatever you are carrying, fishing out your wallet, then your key card, swiping it and hoping it works. It may work most of the time. It may work after two or three swipes for most of the rest of the time. But I don't think it meets the same standard of reliability, or convenience.
Robin

While forum people might be dissappointed that not much new was revealed at the event, that is not what the event was tasked to do.

It was to reveal to the world that the Model 3 was being rolled out, and that the car is going to be in 'such huge demand, that people should place their deposits, and will need to wait over a year for delivery.

By the time these people get their cars, most of these specifications will all be different by delivery time, and pricing could also be adjusted along with additional options.

The event was super successful in doing it's job. Most everyone in the world now knows that the car is coming and that the demand will overstrip supply for years to come.

Also let early adopters know that their choices will be limited, the quality will take a while to settle down, and that the car will lead the world in personal electric transportation, as well as driver assists.

Reactions: Zythryn and hoang51
There's a difference. How many fobs have you owned that failed to unlock your car? My number for that is zero. How many key cards have you used that failed to open a hotel room? My number is a lot more than zero. My daughter went through key card hell last fall trying to get into her dorm room. And unlocking your car from twenty feet away with the press of a button is not the same as walking up to your car, dropping whatever you are carrying, fishing out your wallet, then your key card, swiping it and hoping it works. It may work most of the time. It may work after two or three swipes for most of the rest of the time. But I don't think it meets the same standard of reliability, or convenience.
Robin

I believe that this combo of smart phone and RFID card will be well recieved. Will not be the same as hotel cards.
The competition requires you to swipe your foot underneath the rear bumper to release the hatch. Those do not work well at all.

Robin

I believe that you have the wrong impression about the key card. It uses NFC and should not demagnetized similar to hotel key cards with magnetic stripes. Also, a smartphone is used as a proximity sensor to automatically unlock doors via Bluetooth. Source.

• Informative
Reactions: Zythryn and N5329K
I don't think anyone (or general consensus) is really complaining about the car and features itself, it was just the presentation lacked any really meaningful details other than right at the end with the slide that showed the specs between the two cars. I don't think we really needed to be told about the logistics and challenges of ramping up production, blah, blah, blah..I wasn't expecting a complete walk-through but at least tout some of the features.

Overall, it fell pretty flat for me and exactly reminded me of the X handover which was little more than hand waving and smoke and mirrors to appease investors and customers. It was not quite ready for prime-time. The 3 seems be in that state as well. I just expected more after 16 months. Again, not so much with the car and features, just in the overall presentation.

More details here from the press kit :cool:

Model 3 Standard.JPG

upload_2017-7-29_12-21-47.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and N5329K