Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu 12V Battery Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohmmu just put out an advisory. Only a few cars appear to be affected and a solution is in the works.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
for Tesla Models 3/Y with Software Updates
2021.36.X and 2021.40.X

image.jpg

Support Notice For:

Vehicles: Tesla Model 3, Model Y (Does not apply to other makes/models)
Software Versions: 2021.36.x, 2021.40.x

Support Notice Information

A potential issue has been identified for customers with Tesla Model 3 and Model Y vehicles, running software updates 2021.36.x and 2021.40.x.

Tesla has pushed several new features with their recent updates, which appear to alter the method and extent that the vehicle utilizes its 12V battery. Due to these changes, it is possible that you may receive an erroneous 12V battery alert on your Model 3 or Model Y vehicle when it updates to either of these software versions.

If you receive the alert, DON'T panic -- at this time we have not identified any serious issues or cause for concern, and your battery is most likely healthy and your vehicle will continue to operate normally. DO contact us if you receive this error alert and experience any other issues, and we will walk you through a reset procedure or assess your situation and provide the necessary assistance.

Please be aware that this issue does not affect the majority of vehicles, and has so far only occurred for a small minority of our customers. If you do not receive an alert, there is no need to contact us and you can disregard this notice.

For Support, Please Contact Us at:

Email: [email protected]
Chat: ohmmu.com

Change/Fix Timeline & Updates

There is currently no known timeline for a Tesla-related change/fix, but rest assured that Ohmmu is aware of and actively working to address this issue on our end.

We take the performance of our batteries very seriously and we are working around the clock to identify the root causes of this alert and possible solutions. We will keep you updated with any new information and status updates as they become available.

We're Working on a Solution

Ohmmu currently has two testing vehicles wired up and running daily tests/diagnostics at our development center, as well as 20 vehicles in real-time use in various US regions that are running a variant of our battery, which so far is looking like a very promising solution for affected vehicles.

Our Commitment to You

Ohmmu is committed to our customers and the excellence of our products, and we will provide a solution as soon as we are able to.

Thank you so much for your patience and support -- any information that you wish to provide that you think may be helpful can be sent to: [email protected]

2604 W. 1st St, Unit 42, Tempe, AZ 85281

Visit Ohmmu.com

i reached out to them today and mentioned this thread so this may be a result of that.

they stated its about 30ish cases out of several thousand 3/y vehicles according to them that has exhibited this issue. im on fsd beta model 3 perf/pup and no issues at this time. i hope those of us with these batteries will contribute to this thread to update us all...

i reached out to them today and mentioned this thread so this may be a result of that.

they stated its about 30ish cases out of several thousand 3/y vehicles according to them that has exhibited this issue. im on fsd beta model 3 perf/pup and no issues at this time. i hope those of us with these batteries will contribute to this thread to update us all...

I was extremely impressed with Ohmmu's response last time. I am certainly not opposed to something like making this thread a sticky, or splitting off the discussion on this new issue into another thread to sticky it etc, but that also comes with some possible visibility / escalation that may not be warranted. Meaning, If I sticky it, it may look like a bigger issue than it (at least currently) is.

I dont have one of these batteries, but really like when companies do right by customers, and dont want to escalate something needlessly.

Im open to thoughts on sticky, split off, etc, either here or if someone prefers, via PM.

I just purchased an Ohmmu battery for my 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD (software 2021.40.6). I am very concerned about this error. I received the email detailing this error minutes after I placed the order. I reached out to their support for more details. If I do end up installing it, I will update this thread.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I dont have one of these batteries, but really like when companies do right by customers, and dont want to escalate something needlessly.

In both my Model 3 and X, I've stuck with the factory batteries. This is primarily due to issues like this - Tesla does something odd in their firmware, with a ripple effect.

That said, I can *whole heartedly* recommend Ohmmu as a reputable brand and a fantastic product. I DO use their batteries in my RV, and wouldn't consider anything else. They stand behind their product and protect their customers' investments. I love that, and do my best to reward great behavior when I see it.

So I agree with you; if this is a minor issue, I'd hate to make a mountain out of it for others, especially when they are identifying and correcting the issue in the best possible way.

I have an Ohmmu Rev 2 battery that came out last year and am running 2021.36.8.10 (just upgraded from 8.8) and have had NO issues and NO 12 volt warning messages. I can say that Ohmmu when this type of thing happened with the original Rev 1 battery was proactive and very helpful to rapidly find a solution and ship out replacement batteries. They do have a couple of reset procedures but they are evolving as more is learned. I have total confidence that Ohmmu will will correct this. Living in a cold climate, I much prefer staying with my Ohmmu rather than going back to an AGM battery.

• Helpful
Is the new battery design you're talking about the rev. 2? Support hasn't mentioned a new revision to me. I started the conversation with them around Thanksgiving. Been doing hard resets every 7-9 days since then.
They sent a general email about apparent issue with the latest Tesla SW affecting a minority of Tesla Model 3/Y cars. Will post separately. Edit: Apparently someone already did.

I have an Ohmmu Rev 2 battery that came out last year and am running 2021.36.8.10 (just upgraded from 8.8) and have had NO issues and NO 12 volt warning messages. I can say that Ohmmu when this type of thing happened with the original Rev 1 battery was proactive and very helpful to rapidly find a solution and ship out replacement batteries. They do have a couple of reset procedures but they are evolving as more is learned. I have total confidence that Ohmmu will will correct this. Living in a cold climate, I much prefer staying with my Ohmmu rather than going back to an AGM battery.

I dont think the OEM battery is AGM. If it was, there is no way it would cost $85.

I dont think the OEM battery is AGM. If it was, there is no way it would cost $85.
Once my 12v battery dies I'm tempted to dissect it very carefully to determine for sure whether it is or not AGM. The manufacturer's catalog does not list it with the same nomenclature as their other AGMs and it's very inexpensive. But on the other hand, Tesla float charges it at 13.45 volts like if it were an AGM (all resources I can find state that AGMs should be float charged at 13.4v and all other FLAs at 13.5v).

I was extremely impressed with Ohmmu's response last time. I am certainly not opposed to something like making this thread a sticky, or splitting off the discussion on this new issue into another thread to sticky it etc, but that also comes with some possible visibility / escalation that may not be warranted. Meaning, If I sticky it, it may look like a bigger issue than it (at least currently) is.

Im open to thoughts on sticky, split off, etc, either here or if someone prefers, via PM.
I've had this issue since December 10. Battery had been installed for only almost 3 months. Been in contact with Ohmmu support yet no movement/update on the fix, and no action so far from them. For example, they mentioned they could send instructions for deep reset, which was never shared; no estimated time for resolution; and no guidance on return procedures after they indicated I could return. Meanwhile, dashcams aren't working, sentry mode isn't working, and I have not been able to install any software updates from Tesla. Quite frankly, not impressed and just looking to go back to a factory battery once I get this return situation sorted out.

• Disagree
i bought the Ohhmu battery for my Performance Model 3. It worked great until there was an update from Tesla. Apparently, Tesla is aware that this battery is not OEM and through the software quarantines it. Ohmmu tells me they are working on it, but no solution yet. I bought a Tesla battery (which had i known there was a 50K warranty on and would have been free) battery for an additional $119, but feel a little taken. Ohmmu has stopped communicating with me, so i think i am out the 439 i paid, but you might want to think about that before purchasing...
I just had a similar experience with the Ohmmu M3 battery. It seemed fine for about 4 months, until the newest major software update from Tesla. That update (attempt) triggered the "Battery Alert" warning that I'd need a new battery before the update could happen. I tested the Ohmmu battery and it tested Fully Charged and healthy. Tesla Service came out and said that the new OS update doesn't like the 3rd party battery. "It's a software incompatibility" he said. The technician did try Ohmmu's suggestion for a "deep reset" but that failed to change the Alert. So I installed the basic $85 battery the Tesla technician brought. Yesterday, I emailed the Ohmmu folks through their website Support. No Replay yet.

i bought the Ohhmu battery for my Performance Model 3. It worked great until there was an update from Tesla. Apparently, Tesla is aware that this battery is not OEM and through the software quarantines it. Ohmmu tells me they are working on it, but no solution yet. I bought a Tesla battery (which had i known there was a 50K warranty on and would have been free) battery for an additional $119, but feel a little taken. Ohmmu has stopped communicating with me, so i think i am out the 439 i paid, but you might want to think about that before purchasing...

• Disagree
Same

• Disagree
I've found Ohmmu to always be very helpful when this issue has occurred. Once before Tesla changed software and Ohmmu issued replacement batteries with updated BMC. Ohmmu sent out a reset procedure that would correct the error with the Gen 2 battery IF you had the error. I have not received the error even with the most up to date software from Tesla.