Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Model S lithium battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S 75D….I was thinking on upgrading to this battery. I was wondering if anybody had the specs on this lithium battery.

These are the specs I need:

Voltage
Wattage
MAX Amps
Energy Wh
CA
CA Pb Eq
Ah
Ah Pb Eq

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
It's not an "upgrade" on a Tesla in the least. Do some searches as I've been very forward on this topic with lots of supporting facts/data on how this is snake oil at best. This is especially true on something like a Tesla based on it's low voltage requirements as compared to ICE vehicles.

Summary: your blinkers won't suddenly start blinking better with one. Don't waste your money. Run, don't walk from anything this company tries to sell you.

While the battery lasts long, in terms of consumables, you can get about 12 years on 3-12-volt battery for the cost of one 1 Li-Ion battery. That is if you replace the regular lead acid battery every 4 years.
Four years on a lead-acid? If only they lasted that long!

I've had to replace after 18 months, 13 months, 9 months*, and 36 months with my current 12V battery having 18 months on it. If I get to the 2 yr mark I'll consider it a win.

*this replacement was part of a collision repair, so not sure if it failed after sitting at the shop, was just part of the process, etc.

Four years on a lead-acid? If only they lasted that long!

I've had to replace after 18 months, 13 months, 9 months*, and 36 months with my current 12V battery having 18 months on it. If I get to the 2 yr mark I'll consider it a win.

*this replacement was part of a collision repair, so not sure if it failed after sitting at the shop, was just part of the process, etc.

FYI, mines lasted 5 years (the 12v AGM lead-acid battery from Tesla - $165). I live in New Hampshire, USA

First 12V battery lasted 4 years and was preemptively replaced by Tesla when they did some warranty work while replacing the drive unit and HV contactors. 1 year after that, I got a "low voltage battery needs replacing" warning...it's been 13 months and 12K miles with the warning on. I'm thinking the problem is the 12V system and some other component but perhaps it's time to just replace the battery and stop worrying about when the car will stop starting up. I think Tesla quoted me $265 to replace through their mobile service...it's a RWD and a pain to access.

First 12V battery lasted 4 years and was preemptively replaced by Tesla when they did some warranty work while replacing the drive unit and HV contactors. 1 year after that, I got a "low voltage battery needs replacing" warning...it's been 13 months and 12K miles with the warning on. I'm thinking the problem is the 12V system and some other component but perhaps it's time to just replace the battery and stop worrying about when the car will stop starting up. I think Tesla quoted me $265 to replace through their mobile service...it's a RWD and a pain to access.
Let me do it for you! I will only charge you $20 bucks to put it. It's relatively easy, just, a little bit more trim pieces to get at it. But, you out all the way in California. lol

Reactions: maximizese
Let me do it for you! I will only charge you $20 bucks to put it. It's relatively easy, just, a little bit more trim pieces to get at it. But, you out all the way in California. lol
Maybe I'll ask my brother-in-law to help me out. He's a mechanic at his family's shop, but I'd hate to have him work on his one day off. On the other hand, he started tinkering with hybrids a few years ago and is curious about EVs.

Reactions: cmaster
Honestly, the price w/ labor Tesla charges to install a brand new 12v AGM battery is more than reasonable. As someone who typically does all the work on his own vehicles for decades now it was a no- brainier to click a button in an app & have them come install it.
It's only $165 for me here install + battery ($165). The Ohmmu, while a tiny bit lighter and maybe more efficient, it doesn't do anything really grateful to help a Tesla car. And, it's nearly $500. Sure, it'll last longer, but, you can buy like 2 lead acid and combined lifespan, it's almost 8-10 years. $165 is half of those 8-10 years.

However, it's your money really if you want to spend $500. The discussion of whether it's good or not, I'd say the Ohmmu isn't at all greater than the Tesla recommended battery.

If you live, or drive, in a cold climate you might want to think twice about OHMMU batteries:

Main problem appears to be no temperature sensors to prevent charging when too cold, which is very bad for the battery. Not to mention it doesn't play well with the vehicle as a whole, and may cause your DC-DC converter to fail prematurely.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and beatle
My first 12V battery died within a year. My second lasted a couple of years, and it seemed every two years I needed to replace the AGM battery on my 2013 Model S P85. Unfortunately, Tesla designed the Model S to make replacing the 12V battery a painful experience and made it very awkward to access, burying it under a lot of stuff. After the last AGM failure since I no longer had a service contract or warranty, I decided to go the Ohmmu route two years ago. I have had zero issues. I also have an always-on 12V outlet I added to run a refrigerator while camping. If it lasts 5 years I'll consider it having paid for itself due to just how awkward it is to replace the AGM battery. The Ohmmu battery is significantly lighter than the AGM battery it replaced, making it much easier to install than pulling out the much heavier AGM battery. It's pretty clear to me that Tesla never thought about servicing the 12V battery on my Model S.

My first 12V battery died within a year. My second lasted a couple of years, and it seemed every two years I needed to replace the AGM battery on my 2013 Model S P85. Unfortunately, Tesla designed the Model S to make replacing the 12V battery a painful experience and made it very awkward to access, burying it under a lot of stuff. After the last AGM failure since I no longer had a service contract or warranty, I decided to go the Ohmmu route two years ago. I have had zero issues. I also have an always-on 12V outlet I added to run a refrigerator while camping. If it lasts 5 years I'll consider it having paid for itself due to just how awkward it is to replace the AGM battery. The Ohmmu battery is significantly lighter than the AGM battery it replaced, making it much easier to install than pulling out the much heavier AGM battery. It's pretty clear to me that Tesla never thought about servicing the 12V battery on my Model S.

I did the same at 100k miles and just passed 175k this week. Zero issues with Ohmmu. Not interested in internet arguing. It's worked beautifully for me in my climate and my commute and I'm happy with the purchase. YMMV.

I did the same at 100k miles and just passed 175k this week. Zero issues with Ohmmu. Not interested in internet arguing. It's worked beautifully for me in my climate and my commute and I'm happy with the purchase. YMMV.
Just keep your head firmly planted in the sand and maybe nothing bad will happen. Maybe.

Or, you can heed the sage wisdom of those who actually know what they're talking about on these OHMMU batteries. They're a horrible idea in a Tesla for countless reasons, in case 1 wasn't enough. This pushback on this topic makes zero sense. Your turn signals aren't going to blink better because you spend over 2.5x to install a ticking time bomb into your car that may or may not actually explode.

Just buy a less expensive OEM battery replacement which your car was engineered for and go on with life knowing you won't be the one who's Tesla burns to the ground to give the media even more anti-Tesla fodder at best and endangering lives of those around you at worst.