Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK... it's official

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved out of the Seattle area earlier this year and before I did my insurance for the Tesla was less than the registration by about $200/yr. Thankfully I got out of King County and the Sound Transit 3 area, and now my registration is about half my insurance rate for the year.

wow! I didn't know it cost a lot to registration, anyone know how much in NJ?

NJ depends. The first two years it's $84.00 per year. Then, it's $71.50 per year after that.

However when registering a new car (and not transferring a registration from an existing vehicle) -- they collect 4 years' worth up front. So that's $311, but you're good for 4 years.

mine M3 is sep 2018, so the new car comes with 2 year ? I haven't looked the registration card yet (may be when I step out for something)
I hope mine is not expired yet, usually I receive letter for renewal for my other car.

mine M3 is sep 2018, so the new car comes with 2 year ? I haven't looked the registration card yet (may be when I step out for something)
I hope mine is not expired yet, usually I receive letter for renewal for my other car.

No, if it was a new registration/plate (i.e. not transferred off your old car) -- it'll have 4 years' worth of registration. You should be good till September 2022.

You can also check your MVPA in your Tesla website account - If it shows a $311 fee to the state of NJ, you know you have the 4 year registration. :)

Tesla.com -> Tesla Account -> Manage -> Glovebox -> Order Agreement.

For example, here is mine. Line 3A is for the 4-year registration. Line 3E is for the $85 titling fee. But that's all NJ collected from me -- no sales tax here!

NJ is the best state in the country to buy an EV right now:
- Low registration fees (either $84 or $71.50 per year)
- No sales tax or property/excise tax
- $5000 rebate!

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 12.44.43 PM.png

Are we talking registration? or excise taxes?
We have to pay property taxes on cars here in MA. I think it's based on $25 per $1000 of value.
Value is based on a % of list price. The % drops based on the age of the car. 90% the year of manufacture and then drops to 10% by the 5th year and stays there. It can be quite a lot the first few years.

It seems to be a really dumb setup to me as it discourages purchasing of new cars and encourages people to keep crappy old polluting cars on the road.

No, if it was a new registration/plate (i.e. not transferred off your old car) -- it'll have 4 years' worth of registration. You should be good till September 2022.

You can also check your MVPA in your Tesla website account - If it shows a $311 fee to the state of NJ, you know you have the 4 year registration. :)

Tesla.com -> Tesla Account -> Manage -> Glovebox -> Order Agreement.

For example, here is mine. Line 3A is for the 4-year registration. Line 3E is for the $85 titling fee. But that's all NJ collected from me -- no sales tax here!

NJ is the best state in the country to buy an EV right now:
- Low registration fees (either $84 or $71.50 per year)
- No sales tax or property/excise tax
- $5000 rebate!

View attachment 615691

thanks for taking time to give me more details and also how can I get this without stepping in to my car, after looking at the agreement mine show $396.

I don't think in 2018 when I got the car there was $5k rebate form NJ, its only no sales tax, got the $7500 Federal though.

thanks for taking time to give me more details and also how can I get this without stepping in to my car, after looking at the agreement mine show $396.

I don't think in 2018 when I got the car there was $5k rebate form NJ, its only no sales tax, got the $7500 Federal though.

$396 is right on -- $311 for 4-year registration, and $85 for the one-time titling fee (See my example above... same $$). You should be good to go. Won't need a renewal until September 2022.

And yes - in 2018 there wasn't a $5k rebate yet - that only started this past January. Feels like a lifetime ago!

Paid my first "registration" renewal bill in August: $555 (includes all fees, taxes, bonus taxes, bonus fees, taxes on bonus fees, Gavin Newsom's hairdresser fees, etc...)
My insurance for this car alone is just under 2K for a year (paying just under 4K a year for 4 cars total, so this car is 50% of that). Clean driving records, last claim was 6 years ago when my wife's parked car was hit in a parking lot.

Ah, life in California.... ;)

Are we talking registration? or excise taxes?
We have to pay property taxes on cars here in MA. I think it's based on $25 per $1000 of value.
Value is based on a % of list price. The % drops based on the age of the car. 90% the year of manufacture and then drops to 10% by the 5th year and stays there. It can be quite a lot the first few years.

It seems to be a really dumb setup to me as it discourages purchasing of new cars and encourages people to keep crappy old polluting cars on the road.

Yes, California includes an effective property tax on vehicles. Whereas it's openly Registration + VET in New England states, California is a state that conceptually bundles it.

Generally it makes sense to discourage purchase of new cars for economic reasons. They are the 2nd most expensive purchase after a house, so if imported, suck wealth out of the economy. You want people own efficient, old vehicles.

To offset the pollution issue, California has incentives for PEV buyers and owners.

Once we're all BEV owners, watch the new vehicle taxes ramp up. :p

Reactions: Gasaraki
NJ depends. The first two years it's $84.00 per year. Then, it's $71.50 per year after that.

However when registering a new car (and not transferring a registration from an existing vehicle) -- they collect 4 years' worth up front. So that's $311, but you're good for 4 years.
What The Fraggle rock!? $311 for 4 YEARS?? Mine came up for renewal and it’s $7XX for 1 year! :mad:

California exodus is looking better everyday. Maybe I’ll follow Tesla to Texas. :D

What The Fraggle rock!? $311 for 4 YEARS?? Mine came up for renewal and it’s $7XX for 1 year! :mad:

California exodus is looking better everyday. Maybe I’ll follow Tesla to Texas. :D

No sales tax on EVs, either. Oh, and there's a $5,000 rebate too on EVs with MSRP below $55k.

For comparison sake ....

Model 3 SR+
$37,990
Plus $1200 destination fee
Plus $311 4-year registration
Plus $85 title fee
= $39,586
Minus $5000 rebate
= $34,586 out the door, including ALL taxes and fees!

Nissan Altima SL FWD
$29,990
$1,986.84 (6.625% sales tax
Plus $925 destination fee
Plus $85 title fee
Plus $349(?) Dealership BS fees
Plus $7.50 tire fee
= $33,654.34

Which would you rather drive?

$172.20 for 5 years here in Arizona! Plus it gives you a cloud plate for hov lane access!

No sales tax on EVs, either. Oh, and there's a $5,000 rebate too on EVs with MSRP below $55k.

For comparison sake ....

Model 3 SR+
$37,990
Plus $1200 destination fee
Plus $85 title fee
= $39,586
Minus $5000 rebate
= $34,586 out the door, including ALL taxes and fees!

Nissan Altima SL FWD
$29,990
$1,986.84 (6.625% sales tax
Plus $925 destination fee
Plus $85 title fee
Plus $349(?) Dealership BS fees
Plus $7.50 tire fee
= $33,654.34

Which would you rather drive?

Not. Helping. o_O

LOL j/k