Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK ... what is Tesla trying to do now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that last August, Tesla was doing deliveries in only 2 weeks. They were operating the factory at full tilt, and were matching up buyers with inventory cars and taking fresh cars right off the line to the Delivery centers. They were even offering upgrades to stock wheels or colors for free if the customer would take delivery by the end of September.

They optimized deliveries, and got as many as possible into customers hands. This resulted in a nice profit for the company and a pretty big bump in their share price.

Those not ordering within the last two weeks of the Quarter were then going to need to wait a long time to take delivery. Most production was sent to Asia/Euorpe/Australia etc.

Tesla simply cannot make enough cars to fulfill the tremendous demand for their cars. China factory cannot come on line quite soon enough to take up the slack.

Believe that things are going to ramp up again with the orders that will pile up for the Model Y. Gonna be crazy again when Elon announces the upcoming Truck on the 21st.

Tesla is running hard in full afterburner mode.

This December 31st is going to be absolutely bonkers. It is the last day of the Federal Tax Credit.

People in California are also trying to get their deliveries in quickly, as the state is reducing their rebate, and eliminating it all together for vehicles over $60,000.

Wait until Elon announces that they are no longer going to be selling to individuals, but only to businesses providing hailing services. People gonna go crazy.

Every single communication between Tesla and their order holders, be it from Sales Associates, text/email/phone communications, and online in the order page... all of them, without exception, say deliveries will be made by year end.

Couple that with Tesla's success in meeting their promises last year, I think Tesla has earned a bit of trust here. If they seriously miscalculated then sugar storm would rain down on them from all quarters. It would be heard clearly from here to Wall Street.

I posted a thread in another section here asking about experiences from last year's mad rush:

Owners who took delivery in Q4 2018: will Tesla meet promised delivery times this year?

• Informative
Reactions: marnfl and OverEZPZ
My guess is that Tesla will get all the cars mixed up. My phone will activate someone else's car. Hell, my car will really be someone else's car! I'll show up at 1:47pm for my appointment, and my car will be given to someone else. Or, I'll show up at 2:07pm and be given someone else's car. Expect a lot of things like this. And when they happen (it can be only 1 or 2 in a day to cause chaos), there will be lines of people waiting for hours - despite their 10 minute appointments.

No doubt there will bumps and glitches. But getting cars "mixed up"? Not possible. New owners will get two key cards. Each card is programmed for an individual car. These cards are then used to "authorize" their phones, making them a phone key. These processes are outlined in the manual.

Interesting that last August, Tesla was doing deliveries in only 2 weeks. They were operating the factory at full tilt, and were matching up buyers with inventory cars and taking fresh cars right off the line to the Delivery centers. They were even offering upgrades to stock wheels or colors for free if the customer would take delivery by the end of September.

They optimized deliveries, and got as many as possible into customers hands. This resulted in a nice profit for the company and a pretty big bump in their share price.

Those not ordering within the last two weeks of the Quarter were then going to need to wait a long time to take delivery. Most production was sent to Asia/Euorpe/Australia etc.

Tesla simply cannot make enough cars to fulfill the tremendous demand for their cars. China factory cannot come on line quite soon enough to take up the slack.

Believe that things are going to ramp up again with the orders that will pile up for the Model Y. Gonna be crazy again when Elon announces the upcoming Truck on the 21st.

Tesla is running hard in full afterburner mode.

This December 31st is going to be absolutely bonkers.

FYI, for those stressing about end of year deliveries.

I went to the SC to ask some basic questions about delivery and the SA looked in the system for me to get an idea of build times. I didn’t have a build date yet, but someone who ordered a performance M3 two weeks ago did and a delivery date set for the first week of December.

They said since they build cars in batches I should be good for delivery around the 2nd or 3rd week, which is what I want.

That makes no sense DRTY. Not calling you a liar but there are lots of us waiting for M3P here some with order dates back to September and someone who “ordered two weeks ago” has a delivery set...?

I can understand your skepticism, but I don’t have any reason to lie. It wasn’t my order, and I did not have a build date.

I think they were estimating the delivery date based on the confirmed build date they saw in the system. It wasn’t my order, so I did not ask for any details. They just looked up another customer her ordered similar to give me an estimate.

Just passing along what I was told. Hopefully you all should be hearing something soon.

I can understand your skepticism, but I don’t have any reason to lie. It wasn’t my order, and I did not have a build date.

I think they were estimating the delivery date based on the confirmed build date they saw in the system. It wasn’t my order, so I did not ask for any details. They just looked up another customer her ordered similar to give me an estimate.

Just passing along what I was told. Hopefully you all should be hearing something soon.
hey Drty....baby I (don't) got your Tesla, dont you worry! Said hey Drty!

I think that other customer is going to be sadly disappointed. Unless it is current inventory. Lots of people saying previous orders are getting delivery or new orders getting delivery...but they are taking "rejected" cars or released 2020 SR/LRs.

hey Drty....baby I (don't) got your Tesla, dont you worry! Said hey Drty!

I think that other customer is going to be sadly disappointed. Unless it is current inventory. Lots of people saying previous orders are getting delivery or new orders getting delivery...but they are taking "rejected" cars or released 2020 SR/LRs.

Hahaha ODB!

I got you. I thought that info would be comforting to some, but apparently not. Stressing about it will change absolutely nothing, be like water people

Philly, were you over on the BMW forums before?

Hahaha ODB!

I got you. I thought that info would be comforting to some, but apparently not. Stressing about it will change absolutely nothing, be like water people

Philly, were you over on the BMW forums before?
nah, wasn't me in those parts of the inter webs!
I know you are trying to help and comfort. no hard feelings. hope none on your part either.
Just wishing Tesla would be more transparent and give some hard numbers/estimates.

The China factory is only for the Chinese market. So, you can take that out of the equation unless you live there. I waited two years for my car, so my sympathy level is a little low for those poor, poor, people that can't wait even a month or three. :D

The China factory is only for the Chinese market. So, you can take that out of the equation unless you live there. I waited two years for my car, so my sympathy level is a little low for those poor, poor, people that can't wait even a month. :D

It's still in the equation. It just means that Fremont doesn't have to load up a bunch of container ships with Model 3s bound for China, and can divert Fremont production to NA and EU.

It's still in the equation. It just means that Fremont doesn't have to load up a bunch of container ships with Model 3s bound for China, and can divert Fremont production to NA and EU.
That's not what Tesla has said is the plan though. The last thing I heard was the factory was dedicated to Chinese production. Personally, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a car made in China even if it was a Tesla.

nah, wasn't me in those parts of the inter webs!
I know you are trying to help and comfort. no hard feelings. hope none on your part either.
Just wishing Tesla would be more transparent and give some hard numbers/estimates.

it’s all love Philly! (See what I did there)

for people thinking this is specific to Tesla, ALL manufactures have the same issues. It’s just the process, try not to raise your cortisol levels over it.

Reactions: PhillyDoc
That's not what Tesla has said is the plan though. The last thing I heard was the factory was dedicated to Chinese production. Personally, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a car made in China even if it was a Tesla.

Yes, the Shanghai factory is for Chinese production. That means the Fremont factory is no longer making cars for export to China. That means full Fremont production can be dedicated to North America and Europe. That means North American buyers can get their cars faster.

The current US one might be sufficient when the China and Euro one are online. Supposedly, the US plant can handle about 500,000 (I think that's what I read) a year. If none of that went to China or Europe it would probably be sufficient for the US market for while.