Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old farts reminiscing about computers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well if we are talking relics, here's an image of my first computer. I remember having to book a half hour slot to get access to it after school, it was that exciting at he time.

upload_2018-1-29_22-48-56.png

anyone can identify it?

My first "computer" was really just a terminal to get remote access to dial up mainframes. But it looked a bit like thegruf's picture.
It was a "build it yourself" ESAT200b terminal kit that hooked to the TV through a Channel 3/4 RF modulator.

esat200b.png

Actually that was my first job... Working for Electrolabs part time being paid in parts to eventually finish building my terminal.

It wasn't until Commodore PET & VIC-20 that I really got a locally programmable "home computer".

I also remember buying a 300mb drive circa 1983.

Are you sure about the size and/or year there? I don't think hard disks were even existed that big in 83. Maybe 30MB? Or a few years later?

I worked at a small start-up in the late 80's processing lots and lots of data. We had to take out leases on two 500MB full height 5" hard drives to get to a 1GB volume to hold and process the data. And those Maxtor drives were about $5k each in 1989/1990.

well if we are talking relics, here's an image of my first computer. I remember having to book a half hour slot to get access to it after school, it was that exciting at he time.

View attachment 276725

anyone can identify it?

It's already been answered, but my first thought was the windows on those EPROMS are uncovered. The user is running the risk the EPROMS will be erased by sunlight.

The project I was working on when I first started at Boeing had the code burned into an EPROM. It took about an hour to test every change to the code. I took a book with me to the lab.

At least I'm 67 so more into old fart territory.
First computer I programmed was IBM 1620 and 1190 mainframe (think punch cards, Fortran).
Worked at a lab in college with a DEC LINC-8 (paper tape, mag tape but booted by manually entering 32 x 12 bit instructions into "core"... yes, it had real core).
First microcomputer was an Intel 8008 (not 8080) which I hand wire-wrapped (lots of free time on my OB rotation). Octal readout and 256 bytes memory (bytes, not kilo or mega bytes).
I've owned Apple II, Apple ///, TRS-80, Commodore PET in the early days.

That's more like it! Age-wise, anyway.

I am nearly 74.

the first I knew about computers was through my best friend in school, whose father worked for Datamatic, which was later absorbed by Honeywell. My friend's dad had little or no advanced education, but was clever with machinery and had somehow become a key man in the development of the Datamatic/Honeywell tape drive. I can remember going into the company's facility in Boston (in Brighton, maybe?) to see the tape drives, which stood 6 or 8 feet high and handled tape that was about 3 inches wide. The tape handling was (primarily) by cushions of air, not physical bearings or rollers. I remember seeing memory cores with gold wires, and they were huge by later standards -- the size of a pencil eraser, at least!

My first hands-on quasi-"computer" exposure was to build a device to convert decimal numbers to octal, using scrap parts including telephone system stepper relays. It was my own design (I think) and it worked up to some modest point (less than 100). I won a prize in the high school science fair, as a junior. In my senior year, I tried to build a computer, again as a high school science project. I had a book with instructions and got donated parts, assembled them, but it never worked. I could explain what I was trying to do, so the judges gave me slack, but they really shouldn't have. I suspect I fried the transistors when I soldered them into the circuits.

Then in college, I took a one-week Fortran course in the break between semesters one year, which was my entree into the school's IBM machine (no idea what model it was -- this was 1964 or so). I did some very basic number crunching on census statistics, and learned how critical it was to type those IBM punch cards "just right." No margin for error!

But I was not destined to be a computer geek. After that Fortran course, I did not play around with any computers for a few years. the next opportunity I had to use one was in a job, circa 1974. The company had a weird-looking computer with nixy (no idea if that is spelled right) tubes that lighted up -- it may have been an early Wang. And later at another company, we had a mid-size computer that introduced me to the famous spreadsheet program, Visicalc. I used it for a couple of years until we got access to some early Apple PCs. Macs, I think.

My first home computer was one we bought for the kids -- a Commodore 128. I still remember we paid $300 for the PC and $300 more for a monitor, both at Toys-R-Us, as I recall. We ended up adding two floppy disc drives and a mouse. i used that things for several years to do the bookkeeping for a side business I ran well into the late 1990s and possibly past 2000.

Oh, the "good old days...!"

Last edited:
Ok... War story time, then...

Full disclosure: I'm 55 years old. This didn't happen to me, it happened to my mother. She introduced me to computers because she worked an overnight shift and didn't hire a babysitter. She'd sit me in front of a brand-spaking-new "Teletypewriter" (more civilized than those ASR-33 TTYs that the Phoenecians used) and I'd play around with it offline. One day, I asked her a question and she wouldn't answer it. Instead, she put the teletypewriter online and guided me to writing my first program. The question was "How old will you be when I turn 21". The year was 1965 and I was 3 years old.

Anyway, the story...

She was working swing shift at this firm. She cam into the office halfway through '2nd shift'.

One day, as she was walking in, she saw the new (like 2nd or 3rd day on the job) 2nd shift operator walking towards her and he was carrying two of the enormous cake-pan-style disk packs, one under each arm. They said 'hi' to each other as they passed.

Then it struck her that she was walking TOWARDS the lab and he was walking AWAY from it - with the packs.

She turned and said "Excuse me - where are you going with those packs?"

The gentleman turned to her and said "Oh, the 1st shift lead operator told me to clean the packs before I left and the janitor's sink is the only one large enough to hold them!"

He'd done 7 of the 9 packs, including the system pack. The only saving grace was that he hadn't yet spun up the drives. The next day, clean crews were going over EVERYTHING with alcohol. The 'new' 2nd shift operator was never seen at the firm again.

That reminds me of all of the Q-tip and alcohol swabbing we did on tape read/write heads.
My first personal computer, a Commodore PET 2001, had a built-in tape drive to store programs and data. The drive was just a standard audio cassette version, so pretty low quality and tolerances. This often caused problems when trying to share programs in our PET computer club. A program saved to cassette on one PET may not read/load on another machine. A workaround may be to load the program on a third machine (may require trying on several different PETs before finding one that works), re-save the program on that machine and see if that cassette will read and load the program properly on the second one.

My first personal computer, a Commodore PET 2001, had a built-in tape drive to store programs and data. The drive was just a standard audio cassette version, so pretty low quality and tolerances. This often caused problems when trying to share programs in our PET computer club. A program saved to cassette on one PET may not read/load on another machine. A workaround may be to load the program on a third machine (may require trying on several different PETs before finding one that works), re-save the program on that machine and see if that cassette will read and load the program properly on the second one.
One had to learn to have a small screwdriver handy at all times. Same deal with Atari.

• Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3