Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old farts reminiscing about computers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first personal computer, a Commodore PET 2001, had a built-in tape drive to store programs and data. The drive was just a standard audio cassette version, so pretty low quality and tolerances. This often caused problems when trying to share programs in our PET computer club. A program saved to cassette on one PET may not read/load on another machine. A workaround may be to load the program on a third machine (may require trying on several different PETs before finding one that works), re-save the program on that machine and see if that cassette will read and load the program properly on the second one.

We had a PET in my elementary school (the first personal computer I used, but I had some minicomputer time before that). My friends and I taught ourselves a lot about programming on that machine, but it was really finicky about power. More than once we'd be working through lunch or recess and when our teacher came back to the classroom, she'd turn on the lights and that made the machine freeze up and we'd lose what we were doing. Even worse if we were actively saving something to a cassette, so at one point I had to ask/plead/beg my dad for money to buy some more cassettes to use for backups.

Bruce.

Reactions: SmartElectric
We had a PET in my elementary school (the first personal computer I used, but I had some minicomputer time before that). My friends and I taught ourselves a lot about programming on that machine, but it was really finicky about power. More than once we'd be working through lunch or recess and when our teacher came back to the classroom, she'd turn on the lights and that made the machine freeze up and we'd lose what we were doing. Even worse if we were actively saving something to a cassette, so at one point I had to ask/plead/beg my dad for money to buy some more cassettes to use for backups.

Bruce.
Ah, the power spikes... it was enough on my Atari 65XE for the fridge to kick in and 20 mins of loading a program from cassette would go down the drain. Those were the pioneer days :)

Reactions: mrElbe
Sorry but I'm late to the party... was pointed here to this thread from another one which was getting OT.

I'm currently 61. Started programming in high school (1972) using BASIC on a Tymshare ASR-33 Teletype (the one with the paper tape reader) using an acoustic-coupled dial-up phone connection. Got a job at NASA-Ames for 'work experience' school credit (i.e., what is known today as an intern - no pay). Started out as a math aide but eventually moved up into a full-time paid position doing FORTRAN programming. Maintained/updated existing program which was one of the first to use computer calculations of flight dynamics (lift, drag) in lieu of wind tunnel testing. I would translate the aeronautical engineer's formulas into FORTRAN code, update the program (first on punched cards, then using IBM Selectric terminals or Hazeltine CRTs), submit the job to the IBM mainframe by applying particular aircraft characteristics (e.g., F-16, F-4, etc.) and then gather the data and review it with the engineer. Many years after I left NASA I found out that a version of this software was released as ACSYNT.

Before that at NASA, I was a remote job entry operator using Westinghouse (!) equipment. That system was tied into the ARPANET so on idle moments I would chat and play chess with other operators on the network. Also at NASA, I was able to use HP programmable desktop calculators in the HP9800 series. Code was typed in using BASIC language, storage was done using magnetic strip cards, then on later models, cassettes. These calculators were connected to HP thermal paper printers and X/Y plotters.

After I left NASA around 1976 I worked at Fairchild-Exetron in Santa Clara for a couple of years first as a FORTRAN programmer. Used a PDP-11/40 to keep track of the wafer inventory inside the fab. It was there that I transformed from a computer programmer into what I've been doing since; a memory test engineer. In 1979 I started at Synertek, Inc. (also Santa Clara) and began using Data General equipment for almost 3 decades; NOVA 3 at first, then ECLIPSE S/120 and S/140. The NOVA had a pair of 5MB (!!!!) hard disks; one fixed, then other removable. The removable pack was about 14" in diameter and a couple of inches thick. We later on added the 50MB Zebra "washing machine" drives. Those packs were still around 14" wide, but had a number of platters so they were close to 8" thick. The DG computers also had paper tape readers that we used to import ROM codes. Operating systems were RDOS and AOS. Programming again was in FORTRAN. From 1984 to 2009 I was at Mosel Vitelic (née Vitelic Corp.) still using DG CPUs.

My personal computer usage isn't anything special. I never had any of the classic hardware: Sinclair, TRS-80, Amiga, Commodore 64, TI-99, Apple IIe, etc. Perhaps having access to minicomputers at work compensated for that. Since 2006, I've been heavily into ThinkPad laptops. I own many of the models from the 600/E/X up to a W520. I'm one of the site admins at forum.thinkpads.com, first having spent a few years as a moderator.

I also started out with punch cards, Algol in my case -- never did become fluent in Fortran. The university mainframe was a Burroughs. We used RJE (Remote Job Entry -- for the punch card decks) terminals to connect to it. If they lost the connection we'd have to reboot it by running a loop of "bootstrap" paper punch tape through the integrated reader. I've long found it curious that "booting" became the term for restarting a computer long after the use of bootstrap paper tape ended. Now we even reboot our computer-controlled cars!

I've been getting the senior discount at the movies for some years now, so I guess I qualify as an "old fart."

Reactions: reddy
I started with Intel SDK-85 , an 8085 microprocessor kit. It had a keypad and static ram. We spent hours punching in the machine code that saved future programs to a cassette recorder so we don’t have to re-key the programs after it was powered off every time. Worked with CP/M and dBase -II. Moved on to PDP-11/23 and Data General. Reverse engineered the IBM PC motherboard. Meesed with the BIOS. Made ISA Addon cards. Learnt AT&T Unix System 5 Rel 4 by reading man commands. Wrote C code and shell scripts. Build 68020 and VME bus based system with advanced X11 graphics. And all this was done in India during mid to late 80s.

Last edited:
My first computer was a Digicomp 1. Still have it, though it is missing a part or two. Also needs new rubber bands.

First 'real' computer I used was a PDP-8/I running TSS-8. We accessed it via Teletypes at 110 baud. We were supposed to use BASIC and DECs proprietary FOCAL languages. The system had a Fortran compiler, but it was very primitive. (Essentially equivalent to the earliest Fortran 1.) So we skipped that and taught ourselves how to use the PAL-D assembler. A (l)user only got a 4K word (12-bit words) slice of memory to work within. We thought we'd gone to heaven the next year when we got to use a PDP-11/35 with RSTS 4 on it. Much faster and much more memory. But no user-accessible assembly language coding.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
(thread resurrection)
Contribute Historical Items - Living Computer Museum (Paul Allen's (yes, Microsoft co-founder and buddy of Bill Gates) museum) might also want some items. Not clear if they'd want those books though...

I never got a chance to visit before they closed. I lived in the PNW but left the area before it opened and haven't been back since.

(thread resurrection)

I never got a chance to visit before they closed. I lived in the PNW but left the area before it opened and haven't been back since.
I've lived here in the valley since 1962 when my family moved to Mountain View from San Francisco. For the last 20+ years since the Computer History Museum in Mountain View opened, I've never visited inside. The closest I got was the parking lot when I spent some time at the Supercharger while renting a Model 3 back in January 2018. Maybe one of these days I'll go....

I've lived here in the valley since 1962 when my family moved to Mountain View from San Francisco. For the last 20+ years since the Computer History Museum in Mountain View opened, I've never visited inside. The closest I got was the parking lot when I spent some time at the Supercharger while renting a Model 3 back in January 2018. Maybe one of these days I'll go....
I went to the Mountain View CHM AGES ago when for some reason admission was surprisingly free. Since then, I've been inside a few times for free thanks to Bank of America Free Museums on Us - Museum List by State (see Bank of America's Dedication to Support Arts & Culture).

A big difference is that the CHM and most museums with old technology items have the items off and not usable by anyone. It's still worth a visit for any computer geek.

Living Computers: Museum + Labs - Wikipedia had many old computers actually working for visitors to be able to try. I would've wanted to try out a Xerox Alto, Apple Lisa, Apple I, and NeXT machine to name a few.

Per the 2nd URL:
"Present your active Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank credit or debit card with photo ID to gain one free general admission to a participating cultural institution.

Adjusted Museums on Us admission procedures, if applicable, can be found by locating and selecting a partner name on our Museums on Us map. Information posted here is updated on an ongoing basis."

I've used it for the CHM numerous times and at least once or twice at The California Museum in Sacramento. I noticed that Automobile Museum | California Automobile Museum | United States was added and wasn't there before. On one of my trips to Sac long ago. I paid to go into that car museum.

Gee, for visiting a museum showing cranky, very old, non-functioning computers, I should think my cranky, very old, non-functioning Merrill Lynch card ought to work just fine 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Been to the LCM once, and the CHM building many many times - including before it was the CHM.

The LCM was great because many of the artifacts were operational and could be used. I remember sitting at the 029 card punch they had out in the open area, and punching a few cards for old times sake. Some young 'uns were perplexed how anyone could program a computer using one. So I punched out a "HELLO WORLD" program in Fortran for them. Would have liked to have tried running on their CDC 6500. (Know a few people who helped get it running. Also saw it at the computer museum in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin before it was purchased by the LCM.) There was interactive service on the 6500 and a few of their other machines for a time. But never got the chance.

Somewhere I think I have a pocket protector from the LCM too. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna