Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Roadster pack is recovering after going below CAC 76?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you a are asking about my battery it is sad to say that battery failed with a humidity error and Tesla still does not supply a 3.0 battery although I am 4.5 years on the waiting list. Car is not operational with this fault.
Is this the immersion sensor error? You can unplug the sensor and it goes away. Though you do have to remove the pack and get the front cover off first.

My understanding is that the Tesla Roadster does not support DC charging. It only has the electronics for AC charging. I'm guessing that the JdeMo unit supplies AC when connected to whatever adapter you're using. Granted, my memory could be mistaken, but I recall that the Model S was the first Tesla to support DC charging in addition to AC charging.
I also did a DC charging with the JdeMo unit and charged 33% with 12.5 kWh. So 100% is 37kWh with a heat loss of 10% is 33 kWh.
Pack energy content is therefore around 32 kWh which points to a CAC of more then 90 (32/53 * 160).

My understanding is that the Tesla Roadster does not support DC charging. It only has the electronics for AC charging. I'm guessing that the JdeMo unit supplies AC when connected to whatever adapter you're using. Granted, my memory could be mistaken, but I recall that the Model S was the first Tesla to support DC charging in addition to AC charging.
The JDEmo unit actually does supply DC to the battery pack. What it does is rather clever, simulating the car going into Regen mode but with the power coming from the external charger instead of the traction motor. This is a 3rd party add-on; the stock Roadster can only charge on AC, though at up to 70 amps it's not too shabby at that.

But, yes, the Model S was the first to support high speed DC "Supercharging" as stock from the factory.

Reactions: eHorses
The JDEmo unit actually does supply DC to the battery pack. What it does is rather clever, simulating the car going into Regen mode but with the power coming from the external charger instead of the traction motor. This is a 3rd party add-on; the stock Roadster can only charge on AC, though at up to 70 amps it's not too shabby at that.
Thanks for describing this. So, my memory is correct that a stock Roadster cannot DC charge.

Of course, now I want to learn more about how the traction motor works in regen mode, because I assume that the AC motor generates AC...

Thanks for describing this. So, my memory is correct that a stock Roadster cannot DC charge.

Of course, now I want to learn more about how the traction motor works in regen mode, because I assume that the AC motor generates AC...
Correct. No DC charging in a stock Roadster.

The motor windings do generate 3-phase AC, but it gets rectified by the PEM before being sent to the battery. The JDEmo unit sits electrically between the PEM and the rest of the car (i.e. the battery), with a contactor (massive relay) that switches from PEM to Charger current during charging. There is a completely separate CHAdeMO inlet port where the charger connects to the JDEmo box in the car. Another cable connects the JDEmo box to the car's CAN bus port under the dash in the passenger foot well, which is used to issue the commands to the car to trigger the right modes and (presumably) to gather battery state information which gets reformatted and passed on to the external charger.

There's more info on the long thread here: JdeMO for the Roadster?

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses