Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG: digitaltim’s delivery story…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st real snow experience tonight w/ 1-2 inches in northern MD.

The car handled well - was very nervous after seeing two other cars spun out in a very hilly section of the county but the Model S took the hill without hesitation.

New option/feature request: an exterior heating option to enable just before pulling into the garage - the amount of snow that accumulates on the exterior and does not melt due to the lack of an ICE is going to be problematic for the garage floor. Oh well, at least we don't get that much snow in MD.

That's a very good point.

- - - Updated - - -

A pic to document my insanity:

View attachment 13742

Ok I'm confused.....do you have 2 MS's? Earlier in this thread you posted pics of a Sig. Red with tinted windows and now I see a dark colored MS.

Interior quality

Hi DigitalTim - I had a quick question about your impression of the interior quality. I am still on the fence in ordering a Model S, and one of the issues that I know has been discussed a bit on these forums is interior quality build. While many have said it has gotten better, I was struck in your photos how worn/stretched the leather on your seats looked after such a short time. I am a bit surprised that the leather would look so bad after such a short period of time - especially relative to other cars in that price point. Have you overall been happy with the quality of the interior, or have you noticed other low quality, fast wear and tear materials in other parts of the automobile? I guess seeing how bad your seats look after only a short period of time gives me some pause for spending so much on this. This would be a big purchase for me, so would be planning on keeping the car for at least 8 years. Thanks!

Thanks for the pics, Tim.

Questions:
1. What's the black section on the driver's side mats. Is that a foot rest improved grip area or somesuch?
2. Are those paint armor edges in the first two pictures along the bottom of the door?

And an observation.
3. The white is holding up well after almost 3 months. Excellent.

@umd86 - sig red indeed - just lighting in the photo that makes it look darker in b&w...

@govestead123 - my biggest quality concern is probably the interior leather durability. There are plenty of days I wish I had gone w/ my original choice of a black interior but the white has held up well aside from stretching. There is definitely some color transfer from jeans but I had the same issue w/ my BMW that had a tan leather interior.

@brianman - It is a rubberized heel pad for the area that gets the most wear. The edges you see in the door wells are indeed the factory paint armor. Agreed on the leather - stretching & dye transfer are my only "problems."

Last edited:
1st major issue...car is being pulled onto a flatbed as I write this message. I will post more once I know something and crosspost to the "issues" thread.

Short story: I went out to drive the car from one office to the next late this afternoon - handles did not auto present, so I opened them via the fob. Once I sat in the drivers seat, the displays did not turn on. Pressing the brake did light the cruise control stalk but the car would not go into drive. The Norristown PA service center arrived and tried to diagnose locally via a tethered computer and also tried to hot shot the 12V but no dice. Hard resets of the consoles (by removing the fuse) worked to temporarily reboot them but they would shutdown quickly thereafter.

Tesla service has been great!!! Enterprise sucks thought after 6p - I will have to get carted to the Philly airport so I can grab a car and get to NJ late tonight - most of their locations around Norristown apparently close at 6p.

More to come...

Last edited:
Two pearl whites in the Norristown PA service center being prepped for delivery / performance w/ grey wheels.

I have the last four digits of the VINs if you are looking for your wheels.

They have 8-10 other cars out back being prepped for delivery.

My Precious is safely back in my arms as of today...

Rockville and Philly service centers took great care of her.

The main battery was replaced to get it back on the road. No real details on potential root cause of the failure. It was noted to me that the cells themselves were intact and the problem says likely elsewhere related to a contact.

Rockville took care of having a full hood PPF applied while they had it as well as finishing off my due bill items (rear seats and spoiler).

My Precious is safely back in my arms as of today...

Rockville and Philly service centers took great care of her.

The main battery was replaced to get it back on the road. No real details on potential root cause of the failure. It was noted to me that the cells themselves were intact and the problem says likely elsewhere related to a contact.

Rockville took care of having a full hood PPF applied while they had it as well as finishing off my due bill items (rear seats and spoiler).

Great to know that! But by 'main battery' do you mean the 85 kWh battery? WHOA if so. that is huge.

A short update since it has been a while...

The car has generally been great - the Tesla grin is permanently etched on my face after 22k miles.

Two issues as of late...

Now that summer is in full swing, I rapid fire all of the windows down via the drivers door controls when first entering the car and then immediately start opening the pano. More often than not, the windows will stop and not completely open. At that point they will not respond to any more toggling of the switches. If I toggle the sunroof, everything starts working again. Hmm...will have this investigated when I do my 25k service.

I had a Ranger out today to look at another issue as well. As the weight shifts in the car on acceleration and deceleration, I can hear a clicking in the right rear wheel. Diagnosed as a bearing issue...will address that at the Rockville service center soon.

I love my car...