Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On an overnight test M3 drive. What should I try out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars you are comparing are very different in size.

Test out the trunk/frunk. Load it up with luggage or whatever types of things you carry.

Of course, handling, comfort, and performance.

i like the nimble/sporty M3 but also want more trunk space. I like the way MS looks, but M3 drives "better", hence the overnight test drive. Ideally Model Y Not willing to wait that long

Hoping I don't take a big hit if I trade M3 in a few years vs MS being already depreciated. FUSC is + too.

Last edited:
Try driving around and parking in a tight parking garage, then imagine not being able to do it in an S. S has a larger turning circle and is roughly 5" wider. I got overnight test drives of both an S and a 3P and getting the S in and out of my side-load garage was very challenging.

Find a section of road with rough pavement. The route to my Tesla store included several miles of concrete pavement that the 3P suspension just couldn't deal with. Standard 3 AWD was significantly better. I was really surprised at the difference. S of course better still.

Do you haul bikes, skis, or anything else that might be an issue in the 3's trunk? S is cavernous and the hatch makes it that much better.

Not as exciting as suggesting ways to experience the nimble handling of the 3, but sometimes practical things matter too. Both are obviously amazing cars. Overnight test drives are a much different experience compared to a 20 minute drive around the local store. I had about an hour from home to the store and it was really good to be able to experience seating comfort and a wide variety of roads and speeds.

Big shout-out to the Littleton, Colorado Tesla store. Great people, very patient with a someone like me struggling with a decision on an expensive purchase. I'm really hoping Tesla and Elon are starting to understand the value and importance of the people who directly interact with customers. Whether now with a 3 or in a couple years if I decide to wait for a Y, I'll be a Tesla owner, and it's because I was able to have such a great personal interaction with the people.

Test the seats (including the rear), the trunk space, and overall comfort & how it handles. I had a model S for 6 weeks while my Model 3 was being serviced. The Model S felt more “solid”, but I liked driving my Model 3. Given how these Tesla are updated so quickly, an older Model S is probably a little dated at this point. If a refresh happens this year, it will push it even further out of date...

What do you like about the 2016 CPO S vs SR+ 3? There are pros/cons of each. I would say, the main things to try during your overnight test:

• The S has more storage, so as others have said, definitely load up the 3 with what you’d travel with and see if it fits your needs. The 3’s trunk lid is inferior to the S’s hatch.
• Try out autopilot. Keep in mind, depending on what month in 2016 the S was built, it may have autopilot HW1 or autopilot HW2. Autopilot HW1 won’t be able to be upgraded to FSD down the line.

Edit to add: I found this info helpful in determining the hardware differences between the S and 3 Undocumented | TeslaTap

Enjoy!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
AP2 doesn't seem ready for primetime for me or it might be operator error on my part. Love the nimble/sporty handling compared to the MS.

I need the bigger size though. Ideally a P85 or 85D if I get lucky atleast to get the price/performance/range of a new SR+.

The change to allow the longer return period is making it harder to say no to a SR+