Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard route planner take battery degradation into account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a random thought after reading some of the battery degradation posts (most of all which seem normal best I can gather -- M3 arriving Dec 10th, so learning here)...

I've read some posts that the onboard navigation planner sometimes likes to push the routes having you arrive in single digits at a super charger... When doing the planning, is it aware of the reduced range when fully charged?

Yes. Pretty sure it is estimating the energy required, and then converts this number to percentages for your particular battery, for the display. It would be nice if the display rates miles on arrival when using distance display but maybe they decided that was too confusing, because there are other “miles” displayed in that area (miles to destination), so I could see people misreading that.

Yes. Pretty sure it is estimating the energy required, and then converts this number to percentages for your particular battery, for the display. It would be nice if the display rates miles on arrival when using distance display but maybe they decided that was too confusing, because there are other “miles” displayed in that area (miles to destination), so I could see people misreading that.
The route planner showing charging stops as percentage is one of the main reason why I swapped my display to energy instead of miles. The disconnect with showing miles on the route planner would have more to do with if they should use the constant (even if you are using more energy) so it matches the display or if they should use your actual usage, which (c/w)ould differ from the display and potentially be confusing.

Yes, it takes care of you. No, you really don't have any degradation

The OP cant have any degradation because he doesnt even have the car yet ;)

BTW just gentle teasing here, OP. Its normal for people buying this car to dig into everything and read a ton of stuff. With that being said, its very easy to "worry yourself sick" over stuff that is basically a non issue.

Enjoy your car when it comes in :)

Reactions: house9
The OP cant have any degradation because he doesnt even have the car yet ;)

BTW just gentle teasing here, OP. Its normal for people buying this car to dig into everything and read a ton of stuff. With that being said, its very easy to "worry yourself sick" over stuff that is basically a non issue.

Enjoy your car when it comes in :)

No gentle tease at all -- haha -- as that comment is damn dead on for me.... I'm not sure there is ANYTHING I have ever researched and read more on before a purchase.... Nor worried about after a purchase.... I know when my little "yellow" light comes on, I have about 50 miles to find a gas station... and 10 min or so, I'm back... That's probably my biggest concern.... Not that I take a lot of trips or anything tho.

No gentle tease at all -- haha -- as that comment is damn dead on for me.... I'm not sure there is ANYTHING I have ever researched and read more on before a purchase.... Nor worried about after a purchase.... I know when my little "yellow" light comes on, I have about 50 miles to find a gas station... and 10 min or so, I'm back... That's probably my biggest concern.... Not that I take a lot of trips or anything tho.

Totally normal. Once you have the car and see how relatively simple it is, the worries should melt away some... especially if you will have home charging. If you have home charging, it basically becomes a non issue. You have a "full tank" every morning, and it doesnt matter if your full tank says 279,269,249, 198, etc. If you are not driving the full range out every day, it becomes a non issue... but you have to experience if for a while to have it sort of sink in.