Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Car with EAP, One Without. Dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tessie is our backup car, and is driven less than 50 miles per week (usually by my wife). Nick has FSD and Tessie only has basic autopilot.

The problem is that Nick will stop at stop signs and traffic lights and Tessie will not. Also, Nick handles lane changes by himself.

My wife is worried that she'll expect Tessie to stop and she won't. Also, she says that she's once or twice changed lanes with Tessie and forgotten to put her back into AP.

Of course the solution is to spend $6K (or $200 per month) to add EAP to Tessie.

Thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3
Can't tell you how many times I have tried to shift my truck with the wiper stalk, or tried to hit the wipers with the shift stalk on our Y.

Yes, it could be dangerous. The cheapest way is, of course, to spend $199/mo for FSD. But what are you going to do?

Sounds like a driver problem.
Agreed. A driver problem with a $6,000 solution.

I'm on the fence. The first time I drove Tessie toward a stop sign and she didn't slow down, it was like, "Whoa ... okay, I see what's happening." I feel like I'm always paying attention even in Nick and would react, but who knows?

I've already gotten used to the habit of changing lanes by 1. Signal on 2. Change lanes 3. Double tap to reenter AP.

Reactions: rpiotro
Talk about confusing old habits when switching between car to car:

We just got a new MYLR (our 2nd one so there are now 2 MYLR's in our garage) and for now I'm stretching the 24-foot cable behind and past the old Y to charge the new Y, but twice wife forgot to look and nearly drove over the cable, so now ... I put a SHOE across the windshield when charging so she sees it!!!
😆😆😆😆😆

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and XPsionic

We just got a new MYLR (our 2nd one so there are now 2 MYLR's in our garage) and for now I'm stretching the 24-foot cable behind and past the old Y to charge the new Y, but twice wife forgot to look and nearly drove over the cable, so now ... I put a SHOE across the windshield when charging so she sees it!!!
😆😆😆😆😆
I put hangers in my garage. That way our ICE car can not run over the charging cable.

😆😆😆😆😆
Perhaps @zoomer0056 or @mrbulk can borrow something from the aviation world and hang this from the shifter:
IMG_7778-1024x744.png

Honestly, for your wife all that needs to happen is for her to drive Nick just like she does in Tessie. Don’t use the auto lane change feature and stop at traffic lights, in both cars. As to you, not really a problem if you try to use the auto lane change and nothing happens as you just do it manually. As to traffic light stops, I tuned that functionality off as I don’t like being pestered by the car every time I approach a traffic signal. 🙂

Also with FSD you should be hyper vigilant anyways and be prepared to take over at anytime. So in the car without FSD you should notice it’s not slowing down where it should be and hit the brake pedal yourself. It shouldn’t be to the point where it causes any danger for yourself or other road users.

If you’re becoming complacent and reliant on FSD then maybe you need to turn it off for a while on both cars to re-hone your driving attention and reflexes.

😆😆😆😆😆
That's why I set charging up like this:

20221028_164549.jpg

It's worked very well.
20230208_183427.jpg

Note that you have to remember to put the shoe there.

This thread is instructive:

Reactions: zoomer0056
That's why I set charging up like this:

View attachment 906201

It's worked very well.
View attachment 906212

Someone else said they always remember, but I didn't want to chance it.

Note that have to remember to put the shoe there.
Mine is kind of like that. We have storage racks on ceiling and I attached big hooks to their underside. I can uncoil the cable from the wall connector and loop it one hook at a time (4 hooks) so the last hook hangs the plug just at my MSLR charging port.

I have Tessie and Cassie the Camry. We also had Jessie the Jeep and Ozzie the Odyssey, and now also have a Suburu, name unknown (my daughter's car actually but it lives in our driveway since she lives in Manhattan.) Anyway Tessie is in the shop and I'm driving Cassie and I got nervous driving it at first, not because of FSD, but the regen braking and one pedal driving. I forget you have to use the brake pedal to stop!

What is worse though is that before the recent updates the regen wouldn't work on cold days, or when the battery is full, and I'd expect it to stop and it just wouldn't.

But the other day we were making a stop for something and we get out of the car. I start walking towards the store and my wife asks, "aren't you going to turn it off and take the key?" I'm so used to just getting out and walking away.

• Funny
I put hangers in my garage. That way our ICE car can not run over the charging cable.
A good idea and my sister and her husband did exactly that in their garage w/2 EVs, with sprung pulleys so you can pull down the cable to charge and when released the cable rises back up outta the way. And as soon as the Cybertruck shows up I'm going to have to rejigger our entire garage setup anyway.