Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal mode uses the brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The energy meter showing power usage could be the cabin heater which can get over-ridden by regen which is why it looks like you're using power when you get below a certain speed. Or, if you are navigating to a supercharger, the battery preconditioning will also show power usage on the meter. I would be VERY surprised if the car is using energy to slow the car when it can easily use the friction brakes instead.

It’s not the cabin heat. I can repeat this over and over again. And so can you! :)

I tested one pedal driving on my 2019 P3D+ and on flat surface I can only feel from my foot lightly rested on the brake pedal that the brake was applied when the vehicle's speed reaches 0 from any speed (up to 40mph). I have tested this multiple times on the same flat road with the same result.

I will test up/down hill soon, need to find a good long road with little traffic to do this.

My interest in whether friction braking happens is during slowdown, not during the HOLD when the car is already stationary.

Based on what I can see and feel in my own car, it appears that for the one-pedal driving mode:

1) regen lasts longer (it continues to regen at lower speeds than before). This is also visualized via the green regen bar on-screen.
1a) where regen existed before at low speeds (4-6mph), the one-pedal regen feels a bit stronger at those same speeds. Could be some placebo effect.
2) there is no application of friction braking of any kind until the car has come to a complete stop.

For the people who are reporting that the brake pedal is depressing during the slowdown, I have not been able to observe that. Could it be that ambient temps are too low to support regen, so the only way to achieve 1-pedal driving is to "blend in" friction braking?

For the people who are reporting that the brake pedal is depressing during the slowdown, I have not been able to observe that. Could it be that ambient temps are too low to support regen, so the only way to achieve 1-pedal driving is to "blend in" friction braking?

Yeah, that is the last piece of the puzzle for me to test, but I don't have any regen obliterating cold temperatures coming up in the near future. I have a 31F night coming on Sunday so I'll test with that, but I don't think that is cool enough to totally nuke regen...I need to start counting dots in my tests too, those tiny tiny dots.

Reactions: jsmay311