TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Online Model S Design Studio Opening...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ETM, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ETM

ETM Member

I stoped at my local tesla shop and spoke to the rep and he said the online model S design studio should be open within the next two weeks. We'll see if he's accurate...

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I guess you mean the additional options in the current studio? In any case, probably tying in around the model x launch

3. ETM

ETM Member

yes that is what i meant to say.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Cool, February should be fun

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Good, we can probably all argue about that for a few months until we can take test drives. It seems like we've pretty much chewed up and spit out the options and pricing info from December.

;)

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Need. Moar. Content. ;)

7. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Design studio still not up after the model X unveil :(

8. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

Yep, it's been two weeks!

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

A Tesla employee in the tent they had at the event said it is still going to be a few weeks until the design studio is completed for the Model S. They also said that the first few hundred Signature series holders will likely have to lock in options before a test drive is possible.

10. Jkam

Jkam Member

Several people mentioned that some Tesla reps indicated the design studio would be done about two weeks after the X unveil. Well it is two weeks. Anyone have updates on when the design studio will be open?

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Nope. The timeframes that Tesla reps give are, in general, fairly vague and merely in the ballpark. Winter officially ends March 20 so, "Coming this winter" (as the current studio says) will still be valid for the next 3 weeks or so!

12. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm curious too, though to be honest I don't think it'll actually matter much to my decision. I suspect I've pretty much picked my options.

13. gmontem

gmontem Model S P01707

I have an idea of my desired options, but the disabled "Packages" section in the Design Studio makes me wonder if some of the options can be bundled at a lower price.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

I doubt that'll happen. Tesla's calling their option bundles "Packages" - Tech Package, Sound Studio Package - so, I think that's what you'd end up seeing in the redesigned design studio. We can wish but, I think the pricing/options, as published, is a done deal - it's merely a matter of the design studio reflecting them.

15. SigGuy

SigGuy Member

On the other hand, if they had all of the information ready and available, why wouldn't they have just opened up the Design Studio long ago? I also am given hope by the fact that there are zero pics of the interior in the gallery. I think there is reason to believe that there are still some (minor) surprises to come. As someone who doesn't love the interior, I hope I'm right.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

My belief is that the handful of (web) developers that they have, have been hard at work on the studio - you might recall from other threads on the X unveil event that the same developers had been busy building that "range estimator" tool for the Model S given various inputs (this is not on the website yet but, will atleast be available in Tesla stores soon).

Also, it's not easy (yet) to get a really good car design studio ready entirely in HTML5 (Tesla's particular about sticking to this) given lack of good dev tools there vs doing it in Flash (pretty much all major automakers do it in Flash).

Sorry for being a downer but, I think it simply has to do with limited development resources at Tesla...

17. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

There is plenty of good development tools - e.g. notepad is my favorite - serious

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

"Winter" is over FCOL....:wink:

winter.jpg

19. evinfairfax

evinfairfax Member

Again, if anyone at Tesla reads this, I will volunteer to come down there and help with any and all development tasks for free in exchange for a signature slot!

I understand the insistence on HTML5. I think it's worth the additional wait for that.

20. Joel

Joel Active Member

Are the current Roadster and (partial) Model S Design Studio(s) written in HTML5 of Flash?