Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only the 120V adapter comes with a brand new car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I received the NEMA 14-50 adapter I needed, which I had ordered from Tesla for $35. It's shown here:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

I immediately plugged in to the Gen 2 Mobile Connector which came with the car and conformed it charges at 32 amps from the outlet I had an electrician install, and I'm happy. I ordered on the 26th and got it today on the 30th, which is only 2 working days since that includes the weekend.

The part I'm not happy with is the double hit to the charging current. Initially I didn't know you couldn't pull 50 amps from a 50 amp circuit. Then I find out the Tesla unit assumes the 50 amp circuit is actually a 40 amp circuit because NEA broke the pattern and reused the same connector for two different current circuits. So the gen 2 cable gives you a little over half of what I would have expected. Being slightly OCD I went ahead and bought a gen 1 unit in anticipation of someday charging at home if that ever becomes advantageous. I have had situations where the extra charging current would have made a difference. 8 Amps at 240 volts is >=6 mph for my car.

In my opinion, not including the 40 amp connector is being “Penny smart but pound foolish”.
What this will do is force more people that are trying to cope with using 120 V outlet to go to SuperCharger’s, which of course will further load the SuperCharger’s, and, will have those that get the two years of free supercharging to use more of the “free” electricity.
I also think it’s terribly “tone deaf“ to not encourage people to have a 40 amp connection to charge their car at a better rate, by just charging overnight. I think this can be detrimental to the experience, and, creates a problem where people are less likely to recommend electric cars to someone else.
Yes, I realize that with the new charging adapters we are only talking about 32 A, but that is so much better than using 120 V.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Not trying to be a jerk but not being aware of the basics of electrical wiring is not tesla’s fault
Knowing you do not draw continuous current off a residential circuit up to it’s rating has been known for decades. This is just “new” to tesla owners
Just stating, among electricians this is basic / common knowledge
The part I'm not happy with is the double hit to the charging current. Initially I didn't know you couldn't pull 50 amps from a 50 amp circuit. Then I find out the Tesla unit assumes the 50 amp circuit is actually a 40 amp circuit because NEA broke the pattern and reused the same connector for two different current circuits. So the gen 2 cable gives you a little over half of what I would have expected. Being slightly OCD I went ahead and bought a gen 1 unit in anticipation of someday charging at home if that ever becomes advantageous. I have had situations where the extra charging current would have made a difference. 8 Amps at 240 volts is >=6 mph for my car.

In my opinion, not including the 40 amp connector is being “Penny smart but pound foolish”.
What this will do is force more people that are trying to cope with using 120 V outlet to go to SuperCharger’s, which of course will further load the SuperCharger’s, and, will have those that get the two years of free supercharging to use more of the “free” electricity.
I also think it’s terribly “tone deaf“ to not encourage people to have a 40 amp connection to charge their car at a better rate, by just charging overnight. I think this can be detrimental to the experience, and, creates a problem where people are less likely to recommend electric cars to someone else.
Yes, I realize that with the new charging adapters we are only talking about 32 A, but that is so much better than using 120 V.
While i agree with OP being misinformed originally by Tesla associate is annoying (i hate being unprepared) i think intent of included cable is flexibility .. includes most common adapter that ppl would have already in home (110v) and can buy additional ones for what $35 ?
Yes the dedicated 14-50 can pull 40amp vs 32 ? for included connector but still pulling 32amps for $35 extra is pretty damn good
To illustrate coworker has a bolt and leaf each includes only a 110v for home and adapters CANNOT be connected to either

Not trying to be a jerk but not being aware of the basics of electrical wiring is not tesla’s fault
Knowing you do not draw continuous current off a residential circuit up to it’s rating has been known for decades. This is just “new” to tesla owners
Just stating, among electricians this is basic / common knowledge

Really? Decades??? By whom exactly? I seriously doubt even 1% of the general population know even what volts or amps are, much less how many amps you can draw from a household circuit. Actually, yes it is Tesla's fault for not educating their customers when they are buying a car or providing some basic info. The web site is horrible to try to find anything unless someone points you to the info. What people mostly understand is that you plug appliances into a wall connector and all is well even if that is not strictly true. In general it is. Consumers and the government tend to ferret out crap appliances over time.

Suggesting that people should a priori know to discuss the electrical issues with an electrician prior to visiting a Tesla showroom is interesting to say the least. The fact that even after visiting a Tesla showroom most people still have no idea of what to expect is even more interesting. Then there is the fact that many of these cars are being sold over the Internet without access to the information needed is downright amazing. Yeah, it's there somewhere. But the Tesla web site does not make it very easy to find at all. Even those who do find it usually have more questions after reading it than they did before.

While i agree with OP being misinformed originally by Tesla associate is annoying (i hate being unprepared) i think intent of included cable is flexibility .. includes most common adapter that ppl would have already in home (110v) and can buy additional ones for what $35 ?
Yes the dedicated 14-50 can pull 40amp vs 32 ? for included connector but still pulling 32amps for $35 extra is pretty damn good
To illustrate coworker has a bolt and leaf each includes only a 110v for home and adapters CANNOT be connected to either

Not trying to rag on you, but I always find it interesting that people try to excuse behavior because others do it. Wasn't it one of the first things your mom taught you? "So if everyone was jumping off a roof you would do it too?"

Tesla has the most flexible, smallest, and best OEM charge cable on the market, period. No one else offers anything similar or even close and it should meet the needs of the vast majority of owners. The cable does not come with anything other than a 120V presently and that makes sense since every person has different electrical needs and restrictions and it is a waste to supply a 14-50 which many may not or can't use. In fact it is more common to have a 10-30 or 30A circuit already. Car makers are not in the electrical business and should not be, qualified electricians are best suited to evaluate the proper requirements for a circuit and the many issues that can come up. Lastly, if you are not already very familiar with EV charging requirements it would make sense to ask and research how home or public charging is done and what it requires, this applies to almost any purchase that one is not familiar with particularly those that are high value and very different than what one is used to owning. This is known as common sense.

Every quarter they seem to remove something from the car (lowers their internal cost)
Q1 it was the phone cables
Q2 it was the NEMA 14-50 adapter
Q3 it was the frunk mat

I think all are things that one only is upset about if you were expecting them.

I would be happy to sell all of those and throw in my lifetime of data if I could get the difference of what my car sells for today vs what I paid a year ago.

• Disagree
Tesla has the most flexible, smallest, and best OEM charge cable on the market, period. No one else offers anything similar or even close and it should meet the needs of the vast majority of owners. The cable does not come with anything other than a 120V presently and that makes sense since every person has different electrical needs and restrictions and it is a waste to supply a 14-50 which many may not or can't use. In fact it is more common to have a 10-30 or 30A circuit already. Car makers are not in the electrical business and should not be, qualified electricians are best suited to evaluate the proper requirements for a circuit and the many issues that can come up. Lastly, if you are not already very familiar with EV charging requirements it would make sense to ask and research how home or public charging is done and what it requires, this applies to almost any purchase that one is not familiar with particularly those that are high value and very different than what one is used to owning. This is known as common sense.

I don't know if it is important that 10-30 circuits are more common than the 14-50. 240 volt outlets accessible to the car are few and far between. A friend I sometimes visit said I could pull in his garage, snake my cable through the back door into his laundry room which should reach, but with the door standing open an inch, lol. They will have a Supercharger working in the next few months, so all will be good.

The cable does not come with anything other than a 120V presently and that makes sense since every person has different electrical needs and restrictions and it is a waste to supply a 14-50 which many may not or can't use.

That's true-ish. But "pretty much nobody" wants to charge at 3-5 miles per hour from a standard outlet at home as their primary means of charging. It's what we use when nothing else is available.

I would have been fine with any of these:

1) Tell me while I'm waiting for my car that I might consider ordering an additional adapter, citing exactly what will be included with the car. (They took the time to tell me I should consider hiring an electrician, naming each of the home charging alternatives, and that's where it could have been mentioned. All it takes is a bit of editing of this documentation.)

2) Include an additional adapter of my choice. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they let me choose it as an alternative to the SAE J1772. (Given that I hope/plan to charge at home almost exclusively, I may not need that adapter... at least not soon.) This way they could still save the money.

That's true-ish. But "pretty much nobody" wants to charge at 3-5 miles per hour from a standard outlet at home as their primary means of charging. It's what we use when nothing else is available.

I would have been fine with any of these:

1) Tell me while I'm waiting for my car that I might consider ordering an additional adapter, citing exactly what will be included with the car. (They took the time to tell me I should consider hiring an electrician, naming each of the home charging alternatives, and that's where it could have been mentioned. All it takes is a bit of editing of this documentation.)

2) Include an additional adapter of my choice. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they let me choose it as an alternative to the SAE J1772. (Given that I hope/plan to charge at home almost exclusively, I may not need that adapter... at least not soon.) This way they could still save the money.

The vast majority of EV drivers commute distances that allow a 24A load on a 30A circuit to meet their charging needs. Very conservatively that gives one 30kWh in 6 hours. That "nobody" meets the need of most consumers, in fact many could charge at even lower rates like 16A. There are always exceptions but most people do not drive100 plus miles a day.

The vast majority of EV drivers commute distances that allow a 24A load on a 30A circuit to meet their charging needs. Very conservatively that gives one 30kWh in 6 hours. That "nobody" meets the need of most consumers, in fact many could charge at even lower rates like 16A. There are always exceptions but most people do not drive100 plus miles a day.

I guess technically you're right. I get 3 miles per hour, so it would take 100 hours to charge from zero (I know almost nobody brings all the way to zero.) Still, it's true that if you drive 10 miles each way to work and back each day, you could add 20 miles of range in 6.6 hours while sleeping.

But is there anyone on this forum who actually prefers to do this as their primary means of charging??? Speak up if that's what you actually prefer on a daily basis. (No judgement here, I'd just like to know.)

Tesla should be a little more clear about which charging adapters are available and give customers the chance to order them when they order the car.

If you were to install a receptacle for the Tesla UMC, it would probably be better to install a 6-50 receptacle so you can save installing the neutral rather than installing the 14-50 receptacle for the Tesla UMC which doesn't use a neutral in the first place.

Better yet, Tesla can sell customers a HPWC instead, possibly even with installation.

I guess technically you're right. I get 3 miles per hour, so it would take 100 hours to charge from zero (I know almost nobody brings all the way to zero.) Still, it's true that if you drive 10 miles each way to work and back each day, you could add 20 miles of range in 6.6 hours while sleeping.

But is there anyone on this forum who actually prefers to do this as their primary means of charging??? Speak up if that's what you actually prefer on a daily basis. (No judgement here, I'd just like to know.)

I never advocated charging on 120V, that should only be done when there is no other means. It should not be a primary method as doing it safely requires a dedicated 20A circuit which can easily be a 20A 240V with an added breaker. I said that most people can use 16, 20, 24A easily on 240V to meet their needs. If you are on a proper 120V circuit you should convert to a 6-20. The Tesla cable gives a wide variety of options no other EV maker offers and it covers all the most common outlets in the US.

Recently there was a poll on this forum (shouldn't be too hard to find the thread). Think about 14% if I recall correctly used just 110 Volt / 15 amp charging. I was getting about 5 miles per hour when I tried this method for a weekend inside a warm garage.

The biggest response was the forum have Tesla Wall Connectors.
Moreso than 14-50 Plugs, but a 14-50 plug was second.

We may all be overlooking the fact that at least true in my area... Telsa wants you to buy a wall connector, they want you to have Tesla install it and they would like to add you to their database as a potential Telsa Solar customer.
They make money on all 3 of those extra's.
In my area the same sales team / service folks handle wall connector installations and solar.
This could be the main reason why they don't give you a 14-50 adapter anymore and if so I consider that a smart business decision.

Recently there was a poll on this forum (shouldn't be too hard to find the thread). Think about 14% if I recall correctly used just 110 Volt / 15 amp charging. I was getting about 5 miles per hour when I tried this method for a weekend inside a warm garage.

The biggest response was the forum have Tesla Wall Connectors.
Moreso than 14-50 Plugs, but a 14-50 plug was second.

We may all be overlooking the fact that at least true in my area... Telsa wants you to buy a wall connector, they want you to have Tesla install it and they would like to add you to their database as a potential Telsa Solar customer.
They make money on all 3 of those extra's.
In my area the same sales team / service folks handle wall connector installations and solar.
This could be the main reason why they don't give you a 14-50 adapter anymore and if so I consider that a smart business decision.

It has nothing to do with that. 14-50 is not common to have at a residence and many were being unused. Many houses can't support an additional 40A circuit to code. A large number of homes have abandoned 10-30 outlets or can install a lower amp circuit and some people feel the need to have a wall mounted unit even if they don't need it. It makes far more sense to include what can be used like other OEMs and allow the customer to buy the adapter they need at a nominal cost. Not including the adapter saves Tesla at least a half million dollars a year and it is a very smart decision they should have made long ago. There are far more homes that can utilize 30A and lower circuits than those that can support a 14-50. I would bet that the 10-30 adapter will outsell the 14-50. At least now people will stop adapting the 14-50 to ta 10-30 which has been and issue as well.

Really? Decades??? By whom exactly? I seriously doubt even 1% of the general population know even what volts or amps are, much less how many amps you can draw from a household circuit. Actually, yes it is Tesla's fault for not educating their customers when they are buying a car or providing some basic info. The web site is horrible to try to find anything unless someone points you to the info. What people mostly understand is that you plug appliances into a wall connector and all is well even if that is not strictly true. In general it is. Consumers and the government tend to ferret out crap appliances over time.

Suggesting that people should a priori know to discuss the electrical issues with an electrician prior to visiting a Tesla showroom is interesting to say the least. The fact that even after visiting a Tesla showroom most people still have no idea of what to expect is even more interesting. Then there is the fact that many of these cars are being sold over the Internet without access to the information needed is downright amazing. Yeah, it's there somewhere. But the Tesla web site does not make it very easy to find at all. Even those who do find it usually have more questions after reading it than they did before.
Yes really decades .. a decade is 10 years i just asked my uncle who is a retired electrician to confirm he said common knowledge in the 70’s ...among electricians .. i don’t believe i said common knowledge among everyone if i did i misspoke

Not trying to rag on you, but I always find it interesting that people try to excuse behavior because others do it. Wasn't it one of the first things your mom taught you? "So if everyone was jumping off a roof you would do it too?"
Not really following you on this everyone does it line of thought ?
I’m excusing tesla’s behavior?
Why would you bring my mother into a discussion of the physics of electricity ? She is a nice person but knows almost nothing of electricity or science for that matter ;)