Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only the 120V adapter comes with a brand new car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not including the NEMA 14-50 is not any different than no longer getting a Frunk Mat or phone cables.
Next quarter they will find a way to remove something else to get their costs lower.
Of the 3 I think I miss the Frunk mat the most, would not mind having a NEMA 14-50 adapter but have no real use for it either.
Maybe I will visit a campsite one day where I could use it.
Prefer wireless charging so the cable adapters would be of no value to me.
Each owner will vary in what they need/want.

Would be nice if like real car dealerships the service centers would carry and sell some of the popular Tesla accessories.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Not including the NEMA 14-50 is not any different than no longer getting a Frunk Mat or phone cables.
Next quarter they will find a way to remove something else to get their costs lower.
Of the 3 I think I miss the Frunk mat the most, would not mind having a NEMA 14-50 adapter but have no real use for it either.

Would be nice if like real car dealerships the service centers would carry and sell some of the popular Tesla accessories.

Do you think the battery will become optional someday? The 14-50 adapter is nice, but by no means universal, even at campgrounds. Also it's only 4 or 5 times faster than a 120 volt outlet. The adapters are only $35 I believe and shipping is either inexpensive or free. I bought several I thought I might use one day and a gen 1 cable. lol Now I'm charging mostly on the road.

If I buy a Tesla can I use the normal EV charging stations that are in most parking garages? Or do I need some adapter that they no longer provide?

Yes, you can. The adapter for that purpose comes with the car.

The "adapter they no longer provide" is mostly for home charging. It's just a matter of paying $35 plus tax and ordering a NEMA 14-50 adapter using the link below, while waiting for your car. It will arrive before your car does. My complaint is I didn't know this in advance, and they made no effort to tell me so I can't charge effectively at home until it arrives about 4 days after I got my car. And of course if you're going to charge at home, get an electrician to put a NEMA 14-50 "outlet" in your garage in advance. I paid the electrician $365. No big.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

It sounds like everything worked out. You might consider the advice from TheTonester and get a HPWC at home. I was reluctant because of the additional cost but now consider it money well spent. It is just so convenient to plug in and leave the mobile adapter case in the trunk ( buying the 14-50 adapter was a good idea since that is used at RV parks ). When we have traveled, between using superchargers and destination chargers we have never even opened the case with the adaptors but it is comforting to know it is there.

Good idea not to keep them in the frunk. The frunk can be opened without unlocking the car. Never keep anything valuable in it when you aren't around. My service center keeps their cables in the frunk.

it is charged to a level that is ideal for the battery for travel from the factory to the delivery center. I'd assume that's probably 40% or so and they probably plugged it into a HPWC for a bit to get it up to 50.

Why would you assume anything? Do you have some insight into this? Any evidence? Why would it matter if a battery designed to be used in cars is charged at 80% when shipped? Given the amount of vampire drain, I'd expect the cars to be as charged as practical. I see 1% a day. Given that shipping can be weeks, that's a significant drop. I expect it is four or five weeks to Europe or China. That would be a full third of the battery capacity. Starting at 40% could leave some cars with nothing left. Drain the 12 volt battery and it's a PITA to get going again.

I was referring to the batteries being charged when shipped to the car factory though. You don't want the battery to sit at a low charge state. It may not lose much until it's put in the car, but at that point it's loosing some 1% or more per day. Besides, delivering such a car to a customer and making them sit and charge first thing is not the way to provide customer satisfaction. "So, how do you like your new car?" "It is fine, but I had to sit and charge it for a couple of hours at the dealer before I could bring it home" "Oh, really? I was thinking of buying one, maybe not. Seems like charging will be an issue."

If I buy a Tesla can I use the normal EV charging stations that are in most parking garages? Or do I need some adapter that they no longer provide?

The J1772 chargers are the most common. They are like your mobile charging cable, around 5 kW. Not very fast, but good for an overnight charge or while you work/shop/movie. If you don't have much time it won't do much for you. Think around 15 to 25 miles per hour of charging (model X vs model 3). A Tesla destination charger (same as the HPWC, the home version) is a potentially faster version of the J1772 charger that plugs directly into your car. But if there are several units with cars charging they typically share the same circuit and the charge rate drops accordingly. My X will charge at 72 amps alone (usually 15 kW or 50 mph) but that drops to 5 kW like a 1772 when two other Teslas are plugged in. I know, I've been there.

You will find 90% of your charging will be at home or work, 9% will be on Superchargers and the other 1% will be level 2 (the J1772 or Tesla destination) charging. I don't think I've even been able to try out my other adapters except for the gen 1 cable I bought so I would have two. I think I was able to test it at the service center. I've wondered if they have any equipment to test a Chademo adapter. My car doesn't work with the two I've tried it with. I bet the service center doesn't have an adapter to test my car with.

Do they even sell that anymore? I don't see it on Tesla.com. But even if they don't I think you can use a NEMA 14-50 pigtail plug to connect the wall connector to the outlet.

Please check out this "toystore," you're gonna like it, they have neat stuff.

EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.

And this is the "socket" aka, recepticle that you will need to plug the Corded Mobile Connector into.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Black-50-Amp-Round-Industrial-Range/3775483

I just picked up my car, and the ONLY adapter I get is a 120v wall plug??? They didn't even have a NEMA 14-50 adapter in stock, so they recommended I buy one online, which I did immediately. The order is confirmed but no shipping confirmation yet.

When I first visited the showroom (a couple months ago) I was told I would get the 120v standard wall adapter, plus my choice of one other NEMA adapter. That made sense. But that was before my order date.

I just had the wall socket installed by the electrician, anticipating its arrival.

I live 12 miles from the nearest supercharger, and with a new car, I'm not provided with the means to charge fully overnight??? In fact, when I showed up the car only had a 50% charge, and they had no intention of juicing it up before I left. (ICE dealerships always give you a full tank.) Knowing it may be some time before I had my adapter I supercharged on their dime.

Apparently, this is a new policy. Am I missing something? I'm blown away by how silly that is. If I have to make that 12-mile both-way trip before I get my adapter I'm going to be even more irritated.

And then there's this: I was told as long as my phone was paired, set up as a key, and on, my car would lock when I leave the car with my phone, and unlock as I approach . I stop the car, put it in park, get out with my phone, go to the back of my house, turn off my phone's bluetooth, then walk back to the car. I hear the radio is still on, and the AC is still going and sure enough, the door isn't locked. I can change this from the app, but I try it again and the screen is still on. So now I'm wondering if I'll still have a charge in the morning? Maybe there's something I wasn't told.

First day, bad taste. Love how it drives but this stuff is silly.

Please check out this "toystore," you're gonna like it, they have neat stuff.

EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.

And this is the "socket" aka, receptacle that you will need to plug the Corded Mobile Connector into.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Black-50-Amp-Round-Industrial-Range/3775483

I recommend the HPWC as the best solution while at home and while out in the wild adapt as necessary.

Last edited:
Why would you assume anything? Do you have some insight into this? Any evidence? Why would it matter if a battery designed to be used in cars is charged at 80% when shipped? Given the amount of vampire drain, I'd expect the cars to be as charged as practical. I see 1% a day. Given that shipping can be weeks, that's a significant drop. I expect it is four or five weeks to Europe or China. That would be a full third of the battery capacity. Starting at 40% could leave some cars with nothing left. Drain the 12 volt battery and it's a PITA to get going again.

I was referring to the batteries being charged when shipped to the car factory though. You don't want the battery to sit at a low charge state. It may not lose much until it's put in the car, but at that point it's loosing some 1% or more per day. Besides, delivering such a car to a customer and making them sit and charge first thing is not the way to provide customer satisfaction. "So, how do you like your new car?" "It is fine, but I had to sit and charge it for a couple of hours at the dealer before I could bring it home" "Oh, really? I was thinking of buying one, maybe not. Seems like charging will be an issue."

Because there was an article that went into detail how they are charged to an ideal level for shipment from factory and put into a special transport mode when in a car that they do not vampire drain.

you are making assumptions they vampire drain while shipping......

Don't know about all accessories, but when I was in the Marietta GA Service Center getting some collision damage fixed, I observed a lot of accessories sitting out in the customer waiting area, including:
- Model 3 roof racks
- Home chargers
- Model 3 key-fobs (dozens of them)
- wheel hub caps
- Aero wheel covers
- Various kinds of mats

And this is the "socket" aka, receptacle that you will need to plug the Corded Mobile Connector into.

You seem to be really excited about the "Corded Mobile Connector". But through Tesla, its price is $520, but unless I'm missing something, and maybe I am, why would I get that if I can instead pay $275 plus $35 and get the exact same functionality, with the added flexibility of charging from a standard wall outlet if I choose? In fact, the $275 item came with the car so I only paid $35. (No, I don't need one for road trips. My life isn't the same as others.)

I've already deeply apologized for using the word socket. I promise, the memory of having used that word still haunts me at night, and I shall forever change my ways.

The adapter I needed at that shop is $85, AND on backorder, and the same thing from Tesla is $35, and is already set to arrive 4 days after I ordered, and still available.

Reactions: sceptic