Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only the 120V adapter comes with a brand new car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my car, and the ONLY adapter I get is a 120v wall plug??? They didn't even have a NEMA 14-50 adapter in stock, so they recommended I buy one online, which I did immediately. The order is confirmed but no shipping confirmation yet.

When I first visited the showroom (a couple months ago) I was told I would get the 120v standard wall adapter, plus my choice of one other NEMA adapter. That made sense. But that was before my order date.

I just had the wall socket installed by the electrician, anticipating its arrival.

I live 12 miles from the nearest supercharger, and with a new car I'm not provided with the means to charge fully overnight??? In fact, when I showed up the car only had 50% charge, and they had no intention of juicing it up before I left. (ICE dealerships always give you a full tank.) Knowing it may be some time before I had my adapter I supercharged on their dime.

Apparently this is new policy. Am I missing something? I'm blown away by how silly that is. If I have to make that 12 mile both-way trip before I get my adapter I'm going to be even more irritated.

And then there's this: I was told as long as my phone was paired, set up as a key, and on, my car would lock when I leave the car with my phone, and unlock as I approach . I stop the car, put it in park, get out with my phone, go to the back of my house, turn off my phone's bluetooth, then walk back to the car. I hear the radio is still on, and the AC is still going and sure enough, the door isn't locked. I can change this from the app, but I try it again and the screen is still on. So now I'm wondering if I'll still have a charge in the morning? Maybe there's something I wasn't told.

First day, bad taste. Love how it drives but this stuff is silly.

Yes only the 120v and the j1772 or whatever the number adapter for public chargers is now included (took delivery 9/17/19)
They should have delivered with 90% (i have always seen them connected to wall charger in delivery bay , but i have only been to same so cal location with friend’s deliveries and mine)
They even offered to take it up to 100% cause they knew i had very long drive home ... so ridiculous they did not charge to 90%

Last edited:
I had the same surprise when I picked up my car, and they were out of stock online of the NEMA. My guy loaned me one for a week until they were back in stock.

It should probably be in your delivery materials to purchase one before you pick up the car.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
During the end of a quarter they are delivering cars every 30 minutes. They cycle through hundreds in a day. Using a HPWC they are only going to get at best 45 miles/hr of charging. There is no way they can charge every car up to 90% during a busy end of quarter delivery period.

Do they install the batteries dead? Why wouldn't the batteries be charged up when installed in the car???

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If the radio is still on, sounds like a door is open? Does the app show anything?

Turns out the problem was this: The passenger front seat was falsely detecting a human butt at all times, so of course the car wouldn't shut down and lock. So, while I waited, they attempted to fix the seat, failed, but then they took another brand new seat from another car (who knows whose) and now it works. Altogether I was there about 4 hours, and they comp'd me lunch and a couple other "extras" worth a couple hundred.

In the end I feel I was treated quite well. Providing only the 120v adapter is still dumb (and they wholeheartedly agreed) but that's an upper management decision. They say the decision was made because "most people use superchargers".

So I assume when you stated "wall socket" you had a 14-50 "socket" installed in your garage in anticipation of mounting a TESLA
Corded Mobile Connector, please tell me, Right?
I mean the car came with a "Gen 2 Mobile Connector", which takes a variety of adapters, but the car only includes a NEMA 5-15 adapter, which is for common household outlets.

I deeply apologize for my use of the word "socket" when I should have said "outlet". I'm not an electrician, although I've worked on small low voltage PCB's and such. So to me, all boys are plugs and all girls are sockets. (Which explains why high school is full of traumatic memories.)

Turns out the problem was this: The passenger front seat was falsely detecting a human butt at all times, so of course the car wouldn't shut down and lock. So, while I waited, they attempted to fix the seat, failed, but then they took another brand new seat from another car (who knows whose) and now it works. Altogether I was there about 4 hours, and they comp'd me lunch and a couple other "extras" worth a couple hundred.

In the end I feel I was treated quite well. Providing only the 120v adapter is still dumb (and they wholeheartedly agreed) but that's an upper management decision. They say the decision was made because "most people use superchargers".

I mean the car came with a "Gen 2 Mobile Connector", which takes a variety of adapters, but the car only includes a NEMA 5-15 adapter, which is for common household outlets.

I deeply apologize for my use of the word "socket" when I should have said "outlet". I'm not an electrician, although I've worked on small low voltage PCB's and such. So to me, all boys are plugs and all girls are sockets. (Which explains why high school is full of traumatic memories.)

From the web site:

The Mobile Connector is included as standard equipment with a new Tesla. It’s a compact bundle that can charge your car from different outlets at medium to low speeds. We recommend installing a Wall Connector at home and leaving the Tesla Mobile Connector in the trunk of the car as a backup option while traveling.

This bundle includes:

• Mobile Connector (20 feet)
  • Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
  • Cable organizing bag
  • Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)
In other words, you should have two adapters.

During the end of a quarter they are delivering cars every 30 minutes. They cycle through hundreds in a day. Using a HPWC they are only going to get at best 45 miles/hr of charging. There is no way they can charge every car up to 90% during a busy end of quarter delivery period.

This is very true. And even if you have home charging set up at time of delivery of your car, it's a good idea to go to a supercharger if possible and test out your ability to supercharge (port door works, etc).

Eventually you will be making a road trip and needing to charge at one and that way you will be comfortable doing it when you're on the road and it's your only source of fast charging. A few days ago we were at a supercharger and a new owner was there for the first time. Said he had home charging but wanted to see what it was like to supercharge. He knocked on our window as he was having a problem with it not charging. Being a new owner he hadn't entered his credit card info into his account, so don't forget to do that. I ran into an issue one time myself, had supercharged before in my Model 3 (and we have an MS that we've used supercharging on before so familiar with the process) and couldn't figure out why I wasn't able. Turns out my credit card expiration had passed and I hadn't updated the account with the new info. Worked after that, but something to also keep in mind.

BTW it's been a while since we purchased an ICE vehicle but I don't recall picking up our new cars from the dealership and getting a full or nearly full tank of gas.

With a 110v adapter you should be able to plug in at home and get some range overnight assuming you have an regular 110 outlet to use. You should also have received and should try out your J-1772 adapter at one of the non-Tesla L2 chargers out there. Some are free and don't require a "card", some charge and do need a "card" or app to access and use. Since L2s are more frequent, good idea to make sure the adapter works. Don't let the minor inconvenience get you down. Looks like the NEMA 14-50s are in stock.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Phlier and brkaus
....And then there's this: I was told as long as my phone was paired, set up as a key, and on, my car would lock when I leave the car with my phone, and unlock as I approach . I stop the car, put it in park, get out with my phone, go to the back of my house, turn off my phone's bluetooth, then walk back to the car. I hear the radio is still on, and the AC is still going and sure enough, the door isn't locked. I can change this from the app, but I try it again and the screen is still on. So now I'm wondering if I'll still have a charge in the morning? Maybe there's something I wasn't told.

First day, bad taste. Love how it drives but this stuff is silly.

If your car still has it's screen on and the audio is playing, sounds to me like your door may not be completely closed. The new cars' door seals haven't been broken in yet and they take a much harder close to fully close and latch. A number of people have experienced the need to close their doors harder. When you are leaving your car, your window should go up all the way, the screen will go black immediately and after a short period of time time side mirrors will retract (assuming a feature you have--not sure if SR/SR+ models do?--and Walk away on lock is turned on). If the screen is still on, you can look at the image of your car and generally see one of the doors still showing open. I recall one post from a new owner who thought when she came back to her car and realized it wasn't locked thought someone had broken into it but realized it was owner error not closing the door fully.

So yes, when exiting, glance over at your screen, did the window go all the way up?, did your side mirrors retract?, did you hear the beep when Walk away Lock activated? If not, pull out your phone and check the app to see if it shows the car locked.

Last edited:
This bundle includes:
  • Mobile Connector (20 feet)
  • Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
  • Cable organizing bag
  • Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)
In other words, you should have two adapters.

Yes, I have the J1772 also, but even though it's bundled with the mobile connector and it's in the same case, it's doesn't plug into the mobile connector at all. As it states, it's for public charging stations. (Non-Tesla ones.)

Yes, I have the J1772 also, but even though it's bundled with the mobile connector and it's in the same case, it's doesn't plug into the mobile connector at all. As it states, it's for public charging stations. (Non-Tesla ones.)

Yes, true but if you check on PlugShare.com for your area and filter for J-1772, you will see a number of available non-Tesla L2 chargers you can use for a bit faster charge (not quite as fast as a NEMA 14-50). May find some conveniently located at shopping or dining where you are and give yourself some additional range while out and about and the car parked charging. Do you have workplace charging by chance? My husband's company offers it to their employees and he frequently will charge at work, ChargePoint units in his case but J-1772s.

BTW you might want to add your car info (such as specific model at least) to your account signature here so that people can better provide help. There are some difference between Model 3s now.

Last edited:
If your car stil has it's screen on and the audio is playing, sounds to me like your door may not be completely closed.
Folks, I concluded this part already... The car was delivered faulty, (the passenger seat was falsely detecting a person) but they fixed it the same day and I was treated well. (They comped me lunch, $200 in merch credit, and some supercharger miles.)

Regarding the idea that I will go on a road trip... Not really in my case. It's a commercial vehicle within a limited metropolitan service area. Although I'll use the free supercharging miles just because they're free, the goal is to never supercharge. If it has to travel for some reason, the mobile connector can certainly travel with it. I'm not getting another connector. Tesla doesn't necessarily recommend a spare tire, but I got one of those anyway.

My NEMA 14-50 adapter has shipped, and should arrive on 9/30. (4 days after I picked up my car.) Last night I got home with 63% charge, plugged in to the standard wall outlet, and woke up to 67%.

P.S. Before I took delivery, on my request they supercharged to 100% (on their dime) and I did confirm that my LR RWD shows 325 miles of range.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
They used to include the NEMA 14-50 adapter with the car but they stopped including it several months ago.
To make your car autolock as you walk away, you should ensure walk away lock is enabled in your car's settings, see the user manual for more info.

We've had our car for 14 months and have yet to use the 14-50 adapter that came with it.
... because we had a 14-30 socket in the carport, so we use that adapter for home charging.

We also purchased the 5-20 and 6-20 adapters, to ensure maximum flexibility when traveling.
We also have a TTY30 to 5-20 converter, just in case.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Folks, I concluded this part already... The car was delivered faulty, (the passenger seat was falsely detecting a person) but they fixed it the same day and I was treated well. (They comped me lunch, $200 in merch credit, and some supercharger miles.)

Regarding the idea that I will go on a road trip... Not really in my case. It's a commercial vehicle within a limited metropolitan service area. Although I'll use the free supercharging miles just because they're free, the goal is to never supercharge. If it has to travel for some reason, the mobile connector can certainly travel with it. I'm not getting another connector. Tesla doesn't necessarily recommend a spare tire, but I got one of those anyway.

My NEMA 14-50 adapter has shipped, and should arrive on 9/30. (4 days after I picked up my car.) Last night I got home with 63% charge, plugged in to the standard wall outlet, and woke up to 67%.

P.S. Before I took delivery, on my request they supercharged to 100% (on their dime) and I did confirm that my LR RWD shows 325 miles of range.

It sounds like everything worked out. You might consider the advice from TheTonester and get a HPWC at home. I was reluctant because of the additional cost but now consider it money well spent. It is just so convenient to plug in and leave the mobile adapter case in the trunk ( buying the 14-50 adapter was a good idea since that is used at RV parks ). When we have traveled, between using superchargers and destination chargers we have never even opened the case with the adaptors but it is comforting to know it is there.

• Informative
It sounds like everything worked out. You might consider the advice from TheTonester and get a HPWC at home. I was reluctant because of the additional cost but now consider it money well spent. It is just so convenient to plug in and leave the mobile adapter case in the trunk ( buying the 14-50 adapter was a good idea since that is used at RV parks ). When we have traveled, between using superchargers and destination chargers we have never even opened the case with the adaptors but it is comforting to know it is there.

I have only used the UMC awat from home 3 times in 2.5 years 55k miles (visiting family twice, cruise parking once. Both planned ahead). Never used it away in 10k miles 1 year in our 3.

I do use the j1772 frequently when traveling.