Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only the 120V adapter comes with a brand new car??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be a little more clear about which charging adapters are available and give customers the chance to order them when they order the car.

If you were to install a receptacle for the Tesla UMC, it would probably be better to install a 6-50 receptacle so you can save installing the neutral rather than installing the 14-50 receptacle for the Tesla UMC which doesn't use a neutral in the first place.

Better yet, Tesla can sell customers a HPWC instead, possibly even with installation.

That would be a pain for them to manage and most people have no clue what connector they need before they buy. The way Tesla does it now makes complete sense and is by far the best process and solution in the u]industry today. The provide the most flexible solution for free and it's portable and compact, I can't see any way to improve on what they have done other than putting a sheet inside the bag with all the available adapters.

It sounds like everything worked out. You might consider the advice from TheTonester and get a HPWC at home. I was reluctant because of the additional cost but now consider it money well spent. It is just so convenient to plug in and leave the mobile adapter case in the trunk ( buying the 14-50 adapter was a good idea since that is used at RV parks ). When we have traveled, between using superchargers and destination chargers we have never even opened the case with the adaptors but it is comforting to know it is there.

It's all about your use case. For example, my car has only traveled from Houston to Dallas, where there are multiple superchargers on the way. When I stay overnight, I do so at a hotel that has a destination charger. My Mobile Connector has been plugged into my wall since the day I got the car and has never been unplugged to take it with the car. There are enough superchargers around Houston that if I were to find myself low on charge, i could hit one of those in order to make it home. Or, if things got really bad, there are enough destination chargers or 3rd party chargers I can use my J1772 adaptor to charge on.

I have zero need to make the Mobile connector mobile, and the Wall Connector would simply be spending money to look cooler in my garage.

But if you're going to travel, and charge at campgrounds and whatnot often, I can see where it makes perfect sense. Or if you have a two Tesla garage and are sharing the same charging circuit, again, makes total sense.

Oh, and the only reason Tesla stopped offering it is to cut costs, period.

I agree to cut costs, but if you were Tesla and found out that half of buyers were not even using this adapter, why keep including it with every car? Add to that including it may hurt some sales of Wall Units, reduce Telsa installs by the Solar Team who want to call on you for home services, etc... If I were Telsa I would not be including it for multiple reasons.
As a buyer, getting upset over a $35 optional part on a $40-$60K car just doesn't make sense.

The sales people could do a better job of educating their customers about what comes with the car and what they will need at home to be prepared before delivery is true BUT if you ever go shopping for another EV from a brand that sells mostly non-EV's (Kia or Hyundai for example) ; the sales people know next to nothing about charging, rebates or anything else EV related.

Yes really decades .. a decade is 10 years i just asked my uncle who is a retired electrician to confirm he said common knowledge in the 70’s ...among electricians .. i don’t believe i said common knowledge among everyone if i did i misspoke

Too bad everyone doesn't have an electrician uncle. That was my point. Very few people know you can't draw 15 amps "continuously" from a 15 amp circuit... which is not really true. You can and the circuit breaker won't blow... every time anyway. If it does blow it will take a long time, hours most likely.

This is just “new” to tesla owners

Not just Telsa owners, 99% of the population does not know you can't use a 15 amp circuit "continuously" at 15 amps or what "continuously" means in this context. It does not mean I can't turn on 15, 1 amp appliances at once. "continuous" means a particular type of load that tends to be used for long periods like dryers and car chargers. Hardly anyone knows this stuff unless you are in the electrical wiring business.

I agree to cut costs, but if you were Tesla and found out that half of buyers were not even using this adapter, why keep including it with every car?

You mean they found out half their customers were using the adapter. That would tell me to keep including it.

Add to that including it may hurt some sales of Wall Units, reduce Telsa installs by the Solar Team who want to call on you for home services, etc... If I were Telsa I would not be including it for multiple reasons.

Lol, the idea that Tesla is worried about wall unit sales is funny. They make next to nothing on these units. The competing units that provide less current and fewer capabilities cost more. Check it out. For the same money as a HPWC you can barely buy a 30 amp (24 really) ClipperCreek unit for that price. Tesla isn't making money on their HPWC units.

As a buyer, getting upset over a $35 optional part on a $40-$60K car just doesn't make sense.

It does if the customer has any issue at all trying to figure out how to get one. The Tesla accessory ordering page is not the most obvious and just figuring out you need to order a 14-50 adapter is a PITA. I checked my friend's house the other day and he has the three prong NEMA 10-30 outlet. I think I have an adapter for that but the whole NEMA numbering thing is rather confusing. A friend in TN was going to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet for me but wanted me to talk to the electrician because the nomenclature is confusing.

The sales people could do a better job of educating their customers about what comes with the car and what they will need at home to be prepared before delivery is true BUT if you ever go shopping for another EV from a brand that sells mostly non-EV's (Kia or Hyundai for example) ; the sales people know next to nothing about charging, rebates or anything else EV related.

Again comparison to another vendor is pointless. The biggest competition to Teslas are ICE where everyone is practically born knowing how to fuel.

Mine came with both the 120V and NEMA 14-50 adapters. I wouldn't have left the showroom without them. Sorry that some of you had to deal with this crap.
I find they know the car inside/out, but man, they don't know how to actually sell cars or do paperwork. It was by far my most painful car buying experience ever.

It's all about your use case. For example, my car has only traveled from Houston to Dallas, where there are multiple superchargers on the way. When I stay overnight, I do so at a hotel that has a destination charger.

I tried that last year and found the hotel chains aren't quite up to speed on the charger thing. While they will let you select all sorts of things about your rooms and the hotel having a breakfast, swimming pool, etc... they don't let you screen locations based on having chargers. So you have to pick one and then dig through the small details of the particular location to see if they list chargers. Well, that's how it was last year.

Also, back in the early spring I think it was that I encountered a rock slide and had to turn back and stay in a hotel. I got the last charging unit for the night. These things are starting to get used extensively.

My Mobile Connector has been plugged into my wall since the day I got the car and has never been unplugged to take it with the car. There are enough superchargers around Houston that if I were to find myself low on charge, i could hit one of those in order to make it home. Or, if things got really bad, there are enough destination chargers or 3rd party chargers I can use my J1772 adaptor to charge on.

The first month I had my car I drove to Houston for a wedding and found level 2 charging not so easy to find. The Superchargers existed, but not so much tons of them. None near the Magnolia. I think I used the one in Channelview on the way into town from New Orleans. The problem with Superchargers is they aren't located optimally to get good range and let you eat while trip charging. 30-40 minutes is not enough time for a sit down restaurant. Either let me drive for four hours or charge me fast enough it's just a bathroom break.

Reminds me of the early days of the internet, when hotels would advertise that their phones were capable of being easily used with modems, and the real bucks-up places had ethernet!

Yeah, in 5 years or so virtually every destination, including local shopping and movies, etc will have enough level 2 chargers for everyone. It might not be free, but will be about the same as parking if not part of parking. Funny how people complain about the "high cost" of third party charging. But it's still cheaper than paying for parking most places!!!

That reminds me of the Tesla Superchargers at pay parking lots in Chattanooga, TN (the airport, really?) and Birmingham, AL, a downtown high rent district (you can get your parking validated by merchants at least).

Last edited:
Too bad everyone doesn't have an electrician uncle. That was my point. Very few people know you can't draw 15 amps "continuously" from a 15 amp circuit... which is not really true. You can and the circuit breaker won't blow... every time anyway. If it does blow it will take a long time, hours most likely..

The point of referencing my uncle was not to say I acquired this knowledge from him it was to establish that I was not exaggerating when I said decades .. you seemed upset by that statement based on your reply
I researched about electrical on my own to bolster my knowledge prior to model 3 purchase. There are a LOT of things in the world I am initially not as knowledgeable as I would like to be so this is what I do.
This forum has some people on it who give outstanding advice on electrical as a matter of fact and I learned quite a bit in a very short time

I agree it is a major issue with large scale adoption.
The cars need to appeal to everyone not just tech early adopters who are willing to research before they buy.
The car makers like Tesla don’t want to spend on public education type advertising but without it will be always a challenge.

Reactions: T3sla0wner
Not just Telsa owners, 99% of the population does not know you can't use a 15 amp circuit "continuously" at 15 amps or what "continuously" means in this context. It does not mean I can't turn on 15, 1 amp appliances at once. "continuous" means a particular type of load that tends to be used for long periods like dryers and car chargers. Hardly anyone knows this stuff unless you are in the electrical wiring business.
In fact, many RV parks have problems charging at even 40 amps, and the problems may nor be discovered until 15 or more minutes after the car starts charging.

I guess it's a good thing most Teslas only charge at 32 amps then! I never thought I'd say that!!!
Keep in mind if you are seeing 32 amps on the app (I assume this is from a 14-50 going thru the gen 2 mobil connector) likely are drawing a bit more from the circuit due to loss ....I agree with OP and others responding to this thread this is way more than most consumers care to know

I agree to cut costs, but if you were Tesla and found out that half of buyers were not even using this adapter, why keep including it with every car? Add to that including it may hurt some sales of Wall Units, reduce Telsa installs by the Solar Team who want to call on you for home services, etc... If I were Telsa I would not be including it for multiple reasons.
This made a bit of sense to me as they were moving a bit down in market segment. The Model 3 is cheaper. The 2nd gen mobile connector is weaker and cheaper. Probably more people with smaller houses are now getting Teslas, and they might not have room in their house's electrical service for an extra 50 or 40 amp circuit, so maybe they would be putting in a 14-30 or 6-20 outlet. I've frequently been amazed hearing people talking about their huge 400+ amp main panels and adding new 100A subpanels, etc. etc. So giving every single person the 14-50 as the default was kind of getting to where it might not really make sense.

But yes, I agree that sales people should be trained to recommend people check into what size outlet they might want to add and pick the adapter to order for it.

I wish I could put two disagrees on your comment, because you are wrong in two out of three of the things you said:
Really? "Weaker and cheaper"??? Likely it is pretty much the same circuitry. There is nothing in the mobile connector that has to handle the current other than the wiring and a relay. While the cost of the wiring may change a bit the difference in the cost of the relay is pretty much nil. But in general the unit is the same as the gen 1, not "weaker and cheaper".
Wrong. Have you held a 1st gen UMC and a 2nd gen UMC to tell the difference? The 2nd gen one very obviously has thinner gauge cable that is a lot lighter and definitely "weaker and cheaper". It's built to handle less current, and is certainly cheaper and uses lower capability parts for that. This isn't something that is "good" or "bad". It's just how something is when you pay less money for something that has less capability.

That is quite a reach. Any home built in the US in the last 50 years will have 200 amp service which is far more than needed for a 40 amp circuit. My heat pump has a 50 amp circuit as does my hot tub.
Wrong, arrogant, and utterly full of $#&^. How great that you have a large house. My house was built in 1996 and has a 125A service. So obviously your comprehensive survey of "any home built in the U.S. in the last 50 years" was deficient.

It doesn't even need to be a salesperson. It could be a web page that is easy to reach or better, required for you to read to order a car.
Uh, sure. But I was responding to what was said in this thread. A sales person was still uninformed and was saying the 14-50 was still included. That is a training issue that needs to be addressed. But yes, several months ago, when they stopped including it, there was a couple of threads where plenty of people said it was pretty bad that Tesla was not indicating more clearly in their web pages and order process what is included or needed for charging installation.

Reactions: Electrph
Ok, you have a lower current feed to your house, but it is certainly the exception. My present home has a 200 amp feed and is only 1400 sq ft, not a large house by any measure, 3 bdrm and 2 bath. I guess when they built this place in the 80s someone was thinking ahead to when EVs shall roam the earth.
I have 4600 sq ft/ Built in 2000. 3 HVAC, 2 dishwashers, two ovens... Propane (overpriced) for heat so I guess that's the saving grace. 200A panel. If I only have 200a I'm sure there are lots with much less.

As a matter of fact, I do have both cables. The point is that YOUR terms mean nothing in this context... unless you use "cheaper" to mean less expensive. I assumed that in conjunction with "weaker" you meant it to mean lower quality.

Both cables are designed to do what they are intended to do. Both do those jobs very well. There is nothing weak or cheap (inferior) about either of them.

So why not give yourself a "disagree". I find these features to be rather pointless. If you have something to say, then say it so we can discuss it. Marking a post "disagree" and not discussing it is pointless.

Well, someone got up on the wrong side of bed today. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Ok, you have a lower current feed to your house, but it is certainly the exception. My present home has a 200 amp feed and is only 1400 sq ft, not a large house by any measure, 3 bdrm and 2 bath. I guess when they built this place in the 80s someone was thinking ahead to when EVs shall roam the earth.

In general though, any but the smallest of homes have 200 amp service since there are so many things that need lots of current. 30 amps for water heater, 30 amps for dryers, 50 amps for stoves... that's 110 amps already without refrigerator, air conditioning or heating and lights, etc. I suppose you have gas?

Ok, not sure what your point is. Sounds like you are agreeing with me?
Where are you getting this generalized info from on square footage vs electrical service size ??
Every home I have lived in last 40 years has had ZERO electrical use for water heating, (natural gas) ZERO for cooktop (natural gas) and sometimes a 240 / 40amp circuit for double oven. How are you determining the “rule’ vs ‘“exception” ??
And more importantly what is with your apparent obsession with people’s mothers ? :eek:

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H