Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OnRoute Charging Stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Ontario granted the franchise for car servicing operations to Canadian Tire, and for the food services to an American company. As a result, there is a disconnect - Canadian Tire does not benefit in any way from people staying to visit the restaurants. There is absolutely no financial motivation to install them.
I realize that I am a couple of years late on this correction but the food services contract is held by Kilmer van Nostrand which is owned by Larry Tannenbaum, chairman of MLSE. That is a Canadian company.

And they would likely be of marginal utility to Tesla owners if/when they install these since they are likely to be way slower than SCs. There are OnRoute stops between Woodstock and Ingersoll but any Tesla owner is likely to go to the SCs about 5 km east of those and walk 100m to the Wendy's/Timmys. Same with Barrie. It would have been useful if Tesla could have put the SCs at OnRoute sites but that didn't happen for various reasons. Maybe that's a good thing as these occasionally get shut down for months at a time for refurbishment.

And they would likely be of marginal utility to Tesla owners if/when they install these since they are likely to be way slower than SCs.

But still faster than other Level 2 stations. Until Superchargers become more ubiquitous, I can see the usefulness for Tesla owners. For example, someone going from Toronto to the Waterloo Region, especially in winter, could make good use of a Level 3 station at the Cambridge OnRoute stops.

someone going from Toronto to the Waterloo Region, especially in winter, could make good use of a Level 3 station at the Cambridge OnRoute stops.

That's us!! :wink: Fortunately, we destination charge in KW (see my plugshare reviews), so it's not too inconvenient, but yeah, for day trips on the coldest days in winter, the round trip on a range charge is cutting it very close.

In case you didn't see this before (attached).

It was taken from ONroute Mallorytown, almost inside the gas station area while I was refuelling the Enterprise ICE loaner/rental yesterday night.

Attachments

• IMG_20160526_002227.jpg
    IMG_20160526_002227.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 146
It doesn't seem like it is going to happen. It wouldn't be much use to Tesla owners anyhow and as @mknox has pointed out that there are infrastructure issue that make this a challenge. Maybe a more interesting question is where will Tesla semis charge on the highway or how will we get heavy duty electrical distribution to rural truck stops?

It is not hard for a small charger or two but for a more useful charging site these don't make sense as (again as @mknox has pointed out) the ONroute stations tend to be at the skinny end of the grid. It would cost a lot of money to upgrade them to provide several hundred kiloWatts for EV charging. And an L2 charger is not very useful at a place where you are only going to be stopping for about 30 minutes.

I could see how it would help other EV drivers but why would Tesla owners really care? Why use the ONroute in Cambridge when there is a Supercharger a few km away at 401&24? Why use the ONroute in Vaughan when there is a Supercharger a few km away at Vaughan Mills. Why use the ONroute in Woodstock when there is a Supercharger a few km away. Why use the ONroute in Newcastle when there is a Supercharger a few km away in Port Hope. etc, etc.

For Tesla owners, Superchargers make ONroute sites redundant. ONroute sites have gas stations, fast food and coffee/donut shops. Supercharger locations have superfast L3 chargers, and are generally located very close to fast food and coffee/donut shops.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
It is not hard for a small charger or two but for a more useful charging site these don't make sense as (again as @mknox has pointed out) the ONroute stations tend to be at the skinny end of the grid. It would cost a lot of money to upgrade them to provide several hundred kiloWatts for EV charging. And an L2 charger is not very useful at a place where you are only going to be stopping for about 30 minutes.

I could see how it would help other EV drivers but why would Tesla owners really care? Why use the ONroute in Cambridge when there is a Supercharger a few km away at 401&24? Why use the ONroute in Vaughan when there is a Supercharger a few km away at Vaughan Mills. Why use the ONroute in Woodstock when there is a Supercharger a few km away. Why use the ONroute in Newcastle when there is a Supercharger a few km away in Port Hope. etc, etc.

For Tesla owners, Superchargers make ONroute sites redundant. ONroute sites have gas stations, fast food and coffee/donut shops. Supercharger locations have superfast L3 chargers, and are generally located very close to fast food and coffee/donut shops.
perfectly said.

My car gets 425 km of range at 182 wh/km so there's very little use or need for me to stop somewhere for anything other than ultra fast, free Tesla energy. Even if I am heading to windsor, cambridge now bridges what was a bit of a gap to woodstock and takes the fear out of it. Heading East? Forget about it. Incredibly well covered and about to get even better with Belleville and Brockville. heading north? barrie is the SC mecca of earth and then you have hunstville/parry sound if you're going farther.

The Onroute discussion, for tesla owners, is pretty much dead thanks to the proliferation of new supercharger sites both opened, and still to come.

Reactions: mrElbe and MarcoRP