Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Canada : overnight 2c/kWh EV charging price plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Alectra trial area and just spoke with Alectra. This is what I understood:

Right now you register interest by phone or email and when the plan is available on Sept 1 this year, registrants will be sent information on how to apply. It should take about 10 to 14 days to process the application. Once enrolled in the plan of your choice, for the duration of 2017 your bills will show both the old and new plan pricing, but you will be billed at the OLD pricing. ...
Applications are now open - anyone apply yet?

Yes, i did:

We’re glad to hear from you and will respond to your email in the next 48 hours; look for a response from [email protected]. If you need immediate assistance related to Advantage Power Pricing, you can reach our dedicated customer service centre at 1-844-952-5291. You can also find answers to frequently asked questions and analysis of your electricity consumption and savings on the Advantage Power Pricing customer portal. Note that you will have to register for the site the first time that you enter.

For general PowerStream inquiries such as account changes, billing, and outages, please contact the main PowerStream customer service line at 905-417-6900 or 1-877-963-6900.

We look forward to working with you to help you save on electricity!

The PowerStream Advantage Power Pricing team​

Thanks Mike - the other way for everyone to do this is to have some sort of a randomizer that kicks off EV charging.

That would work for more common diversified loads, and in fact, is often how utilities handle "cold load pickup" after an extended power outage. The problem is that there is no diversification to EV charging, unlike most other loads that cycle on and off. Even with electric heat, not everyone's home on the block will be "on" at the same time, barring the "cold load pickup" scenario I mention above.

With a randomizer, there is still the very real possibility and likelihood that "too many" EVs/Batteries may be on and charging at the same time. With these always-on loads, real intelligent scheduled charging is required.

Yes, i did:
We’re glad to hear from you and will respond to your email in the next 48 hours; look for a response from [email protected]. If you need immediate assistance related to Advantage Power Pricing, you can reach our dedicated customer service centre at 1-844-952-5291. You can also find answers to frequently asked questions and analysis of your electricity consumption and savings on the Advantage Power Pricing customer portal. Note that you will have to register for the site the first time that you enter.
Got the same email response. Couldn't sign up on the customer portal - it doesn't seem to like my account number. Guess we need to talk to customer support.

I didn't realize that Powerwalls were that expensive and you probably highballed the installation but you are in the right neighbourhood. When I did the calculation when the Powerwall was first introduced the payback was more like 30 years, but that was with about a $0.09 peak to offpeak delta.

The other thing to price in is the value of a power backup. Does the Powerwall replace a whole home generator and if so what value is there in that? Generators cost from $2-5k but they will last longer than a battery if you have an extended outage - like some folks had in Toronto in the Christmas 2013 ice storm or the Quebec ice storm of 1998. And I imagine installation costs will be similar so a battery that "makes" you $550 a year for $8750 vs a generator that doesn't make you money but would last longer in an outage for $4000?

On sale this week! (Costco)

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 4.01.40 PM.png

A battery system that is used for far more than backup purposes would have a 10 year cost similar to a fossil fuel generator. Hmm.

Except that the battery system will not function as a backup at all... at least not when it counts. A few hours is nice; but it won't prevent frozen pipes after 3 days with the power out in January.

I'm on the Alectra dynamic pricing plan for a few years now. It's been great having 4.9c/kWh most of the day. I'm getting the Model 3 but I don't know if I would change plans. I haven't done all the math of course but I don't see how I could shift anymore into the super off-peak other than the car but with our minimal daily use it wouldn't add up to enough savings to balance the day time increased rates.

I'm sure it'll work for others though and great we have the option!

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric