Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV incentives upped to $14K... and decreased to $3k for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no direct mention of this, and given the general trend towards dense urban cores and the potential benefits for CO2 mitigation from that this would be a significant omission. There are a few hints which are copied bellow, but there are other building code changes mentioned including the one for a Level 2 plug in all new garages. Hopefully this is something that they will work towards.

1.1.2 Set green development standards: Municipalities would be able to pass bylaws related to green standards in areas other than building construction. -- 2017/18
1.2 Make climate change a planning priority: The government will consult on and propose amendments to Ontario's Planning Act to make climate change a provincial interest, which would ensure climate change is taken into consideration when planning decisions are made. -- 2017/18
1.3 Put climate change in official plans: The government will consult and propose amendments to the Planning Act to make climate change mitigation and adaptation mandatory in municipal official plans.

Establish EV Requirements For Existing Condominiums And Apartment Buildings: Establish requirements as soon as possible for existing condominiums and apartment buildings to make it easier to install charging stations for residents.

Reactions: Jaff
Establish EV Requirements For Existing Condominiums And Apartment Buildings: Establish requirements as soon as possible for existing condominiums and apartment buildings to make it easier to install charging stations for residents.
This will be necessary all across the country, but there will need to be verbiage addressed directly to strata councils to get things done. I've been fighting with one since last fall...

First attempt: At my cost, run conduit from my breaker panel (on my meter) to my parking stall, including 1 foot of visible 3/4" conduit, painted to match building. Answer: "No, we don't want to set a precedent."

Second attempt: I apply for and receive a provincial grant (here in BC) that will cover 75% of the installation of infrastructure, including pre-ducting for 6 stalls. My portion would be the 25% not paid in the grant, meaning no cost to the strata. Answer: "There are five buildings in the complex, of which only one would be pre-ducted (the only one with an EV!). This would be unfair to those living in the other buildings (who don't drive EV's...)."

But the council is 'supportive of EV's'... It makes my head want to explode.

My sympathies, a committee is a beast with more than three butts and no brain. We are all going to have to engage in our own personal battles as part of this much larger societal change. Perhaps offering rides in your S will wake up the members to the fact that there is something new here that they should support. I am lucky to own and home and not have to consult with anyone, other than my wife who is going along for the ride. Ontario will be a great place to own an EV if everything that is promised is followed through with. A broader project for Canadian owners/reservation holders should be lobbying the Federal government to financially support SUpercharging or equivalent across the Trans Canada Highway. Good luck with your battle, hope to make an electric trip out your way in a few years.

Thankfully, we only live there a few weekends a month... and I can get up there and home again on a charge without too much trouble. But if I want to stay indefinitely, vampire drain would eventually become a concern. It's just smarter to plug in whenever you can.

As far as strata councils go, I find that this image pretty much explains their effectiveness (or lack of same)...

meetingsdemotivator.jpeg

This will be necessary all across the country, but there will need to be verbiage addressed directly to strata councils to get things done. I've been fighting with one since last fall...

First attempt: At my cost, run conduit from my breaker panel (on my meter) to my parking stall, including 1 foot of visible 3/4" conduit, painted to match building. Answer: "No, we don't want to set a precedent."

Second attempt: I apply for and receive a provincial grant (here in BC) that will cover 75% of the installation of infrastructure, including pre-ducting for 6 stalls. My portion would be the 25% not paid in the grant, meaning no cost to the strata. Answer: "There are five buildings in the complex, of which only one would be pre-ducted (the only one with an EV!). This would be unfair to those living in the other buildings (who don't drive EV's...)."

But the council is 'supportive of EV's'... It makes my head want to explode.

I feel for you!

There is definitely a need for some new legislation with some teeth in it to overcome the raging stupidity & short-sightedness of many condo boards.

86 million in a direct grant for the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in hybrid (48 km aer). When he's not bashing EVs, Tony is very good at collecting government checks.

Ontario Partners with FCA Canada to Build the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid -- the World's First Plug-in Hybrid Electric Minivan

Does anyone have an idea how much this vehicle will cost and when it will be released? Chrysler's site only has the pure gas versions, with trims starting as high as $55,000. Figure $65,000, so will qualify for a $14,000 rebate in Ontario on top of the $86,000,000 giveaway. Meanwhile, funding is slashed for rebates on the Tesla.

Last edited:
86 million in a direct grant for the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in hybrid (48 km aer). When he's not bashing EVs, Tony is very good at collecting government checks.

Ontario Partners with FCA Canada to Build the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid -- the World's First Plug-in Hybrid Electric Minivan

Does anyone have an idea how much this vehicle will cost and when it will be released? Chrysler's site only has the pure gas versions, with trims starting as high as $55,000. Figure $65,000, so will qualify for a $14,000 rebate in Ontario on top of the $86,000,000 giveaway. Meanwhile, funding is slashed for rebates on the Tesla.

It better not get the full $14000 as it is a hybrid. The full incentive needs to be reserved for 0 emissions vehicles. We don't have time for baby steps.

It better not get the full $14000 as it is a hybrid. The full incentive needs to be reserved for 0 emissions vehicles. We don't have time for baby steps.

I agree with you, but it will get the full rebate due to a 16 kWh battery. When Ontario announced a $3,000 bonus for large batteries, most speculation was on 30 kWh or more. With hindsight, with government thinking 16 kWh makes perfect sense to coddle GM and Chrysler.

It better not get the full $14000 as it is a hybrid. The full incentive needs to be reserved for 0 emissions vehicles. We don't have time for baby steps.[/QUOT
I agree with you, but it will get the full rebate due to a 16 kWh battery. When Ontario announced a $3,000 bonus for large batteries, most speculation was on 30 kWh or more. With hindsight, with government thinking 16 kWh makes perfect sense to coddle GM and Chrysler.

Somehow, this seems to also illustrate well the Provincial Guv's shoddy treatment of Tesla customers & prospective customers...their lack of understanding of the cost of a big battery (related to the overall cost of the vehicle), is because they have no clue what a big battery actually is (16 kwh is big? :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Reactions: Duckjybe
Without the battery capacity and the MSRP it is not clear what incentive it would receive. Assuming the battery is over 16 kwh it would get up to 30% of the MSRP up to 13,000. Many plug ins have smaller batteries and don't get it, assume a van would be larger. On balence I am happy enough to keep jobs in Ontario to accept that this may eat up some of the funding. The govt does seem to be working with traditional companies, hope they have at least tried to talk to tesla but I doubt it.

The battery is 16 kWh, so it qualifies for the $3,000 bonus. It also gets a $1,000 bonus for 5+ seats, so the total will be $14,000. Note that the rebate is $13,000 for the failed Cadillac PHEV with a 16 kWh battery,but only 4 seats. There will be no problem with 30% cap. The PHEV option is only going to be offered on trims that start at $49,000 when they're pure gas, so we are looking at over $60,000 for the MSRP.

So anyone know exactly whats going on with the removal of HST?

I see that yes they want to get rid of the entire HST on electric cars by 2018...but...in the meantime...what about the provincial portion? I'm expecting delivery of my Model X in late July/August...no chance of anything happening by then is there?

That was not part of the climate change plan announcement. I have sent the Ministry an e-mail asking if the province is going to do anything separately and they have not responded yet. You might want to try to contact them yourself. Congrats on the X.

The Pacifica is currently offered only with 100% gas engines. . It is very hard to get info on the pending hybrid and PHEV versions. One report (not sure how reliable it is) states they are only planning on 5,000 hybrids per year. If the PHEV version is a subset of that you will not ve seeing many of them in Ontario.

Last edited:
But the VIA doesn't look like a Minivan for people hauling - it appears to be more of an industrial vehicle used by utilities, or at least that's the impression I get from photos on their web site like this one:

I've been in one that was outfitted as a luxury limo. But they are mainly targeting fleet sales. Nevertheless, VIA is the first, not these guys.