Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I didn't complete my thought - The flaw representation of the entire program in the media and general public - likely created by big oil to quash emission standards.

The wind down language was to exclude Tesla while okay'ing all these inferior tech/vehicles imho. I check the 2018 Honda Clarity out cause it ironically popped up on a banner here in the forum.

The MSRP was close to 53K CAD before taxes to match what the M3SR with EAP would be. It's a no brainer the SR w/ EAP or even PUP is the better car - yet the same incentive. I agree that the program is(was*) great for getting people into cleaner vehicles, too bad it was short lived. PHEV are nice if you have a short commute and if it allows for full electric driving. So as a transition between ICE and BEV, I guess there's merit in that design. But still, with the available option of a M3 vs Clarity... I don't regret my choice.

My question is... Did PHEV / Hybrid sales increase during the program or was the Model 3 the blip? Even with the incentive, the Honda Clarity would still come close to 50K CAD after taxes in Ontario... Not a far stretch to 70K for M3 LR with the bells and whistles.

I definitely think the sales of EVs and PHEVs increased over the course of the program. For example I bought my first volt in 2014, and had a licence plate of GVADXXX, so at that point there were ~ 4,000 license plates that had been produced and I believe the program was running for around 2-3 years (not an exact measure, close enough). 2 years later I upgraded to a gen 2 volt, and the plate I was offered was GVAKXXX (I kept GVAD)....but my point is in 2 years there was an additional ~7000 license plates produced so almost doubled, and now I'm seeing most new EV's with GVBX, so another 15,000 or so licence plates just in the last 2 years.

Model 3 has definitely increased the numbers, but all types of EVs and PHEVs have been increasing over the past 5+ years.

There are probably more accurate measures out there, but even having driven an EV for the last 4+ years it used to be exciting to see another EV 'in the wild', and now I see them all the time in my commute. There is no doubt in my mind that without the program there wouldn't be nearly as many, and I certainly wouldn't have bought my first EV without the incentive. Now that I've driven EVs, I will never buy an ICE car again (as many of us....)

Despite not receiving delivery until nearly the final month of Q2-2018, the Tesla Model 3 ‘rocketed’ to the most sold EV with 2,785, this is the most successful EV model introduction ever. Maintaining second-place for BEV models, recent model introduction, the Nissan Leaf increased to 1,808 unit sales. The Chevrolet BOLT dropped from first to third place for BEV models with 808 unit sales. Following in order were the Kia SOUL EV, Hyundai IONIQ, Tesla Model X, Model S, VW e-Golf, Ford Focus EV and Smart FORTWO.

Q2 2018 Canada:

To what degree did the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 drive Q2 sales?
Of course, the Tesla Model 3 contributed to a surge in EV sales this quarter. The car contributed to 19% of all EV sales across the Country. If we subtract those sales from the total, as if the Model 3 never happened and ignore that some consumers would have purchased other vehicles instead, we get the following. We still would have hit an all-time high for EV sales in a single quarter, albeit 19% lower (give or take a few bolts, and Model S’s). Instead of seeing a 214% increase compared to Q2 of 2017, Q2 of 2018 would have only seen an increase of 154% Nationally.
What does each column represent? The provinces? If so.. which column represents which province?

Here's a newer view of the chart which is now more complete. Happy rebating...

canadian-ev-sales-2018-working.png

Can someone post the latest rebate forms or confirm the latest version available? I have this link for the charger application and guide (0177E - 2018/08) which seems to be the latest. For the actual vehicle rebate, I can't find the form and I am not sure I have the latest on file. Is the form 2096E (2018/03) the latest?
Yes that is the latest form that I retrieved from their website (June 27/18).

Sorry no link but yesterday read thread that stated they spoke to a nice lady who said they were processing end of April applications. So probably late this year?
You know whats funny... they originally told me they were processing end of april applications at the beginning of July. Its sad to hear that they haven't made further progress in over 2 months.

I really think the new government is purposfully slowing down the release of funds...

You know whats funny... they originally told me they were processing end of april applications at the beginning of July. Its sad to hear that they haven't made further progress in over 2 months.

I really think the new government is purposfully slowing down the release of funds...

Maybe we'll need to launch a lawsuit to get them to respond lol. Seems like this is the way to get the ford gov't to reply to anything.

• Funny
Reactions: PFC12

July... August... you seem surprised that nothing gets done during summer in the govt. ;) Pretty sure the person you spoke to was speaking from the deck of their cottage, buck a beer in hand.