Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EVIP rebates update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, new here. I am finally ready to by my tesla. I thought to wait until summer of 2018 and see if prices drop or tesla introduce significant updates. What bothers me that I come across youtube videos or online posts people believing that EVIP rebates will be halted in january I personally couldn't find any supporting evidence. Can anyone tell me if there a legitimate risk, or people just justifying their rush purchase?

Hi everyone, new here. I am finally ready to by my tesla. I thought to wait until summer of 2018 and see if prices drop or tesla introduce significant updates. What bothers me that I come across youtube videos or online posts people believing that EVIP rebates will be halted in january I personally couldn't find any supporting evidence. Can anyone tell me if there a legitimate risk, or people just justifying their rush purchase?

I would be surprised. Your OA may try to tell you this, but I wouldn’t believe them. This is just another way to buy votes so I doubt it will go away until the day after the election.

It seems to be generally confirmed that there will be some changes announced in the new year. The most likely scenario is a reduction of the MSRP allowed to qualify for a rebate. Aimed directly at S and X.

Thanks I was embarrassed to ask, as I am new to Canada and couldn't figure out what election rpm001 was referring to.
Fixed election dates are new - it used to be at the whim of the premier to call an election although they had to do it by a deadline.

The Conservatives have talked about quashing all of the "green energy" initiatives of the Liberals if they get elected - so that is probably the biggest risk for EV incentives. The Liberals could also decide it is good politics to eliminate the incentives for more expensive cars so there is risk during the campaign from them as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Is that me or everyone is being told that rebates will be halted for sure "soon". I went to tesla sales store couple of months ago, I did test drive and sales rep confidently told be that I only have 6 days. I said what!? He said yes we get emails from headquarters, I sad can you show me? no vain. A week ago talked to another sales rep, who reassured me that in January will be changes so I should not custom order and buy inventory car. Discussing

I wonder if it is just Tesla doing that age-old practice of trying to pull sales forward into the current quarter so that quarter/year end comparables are better to support the stock price. There may be pressure or incentives coming down from California.

Very nice surprise this morning. EVIP got deposited into my bank account. I was expecting this to arrive in March due to the 6 month wait time (submitted application in September.) Hopefully this is a sign that processing times for everyone is getting faster.

Same here... Rebate submitted at the very end of September and it looks like the funds will arrive in my account tomorrow (dated Dec 27).

Reactions: Jaff and Shaz
Is that me or everyone is being told that rebates will be halted for sure "soon". I went to tesla sales store couple of months ago, I did test drive and sales rep confidently told be that I only have 6 days. I said what!? He said yes we get emails from headquarters, I sad can you show me? no vain. A week ago talked to another sales rep, who reassured me that in January will be changes so I should not custom order

and buy inventory car. Discussing

I was told that too on 24 th dec. I don’t think it’s true. Gov is going to announce more rebate for semi. Rebate will only go if the liberals loose. So I am going to order one in Jan so I can get it by may or June the latest. By then lots of new stuff will be in the model x. ( I hope)

There is an option between continuing the incentive as is and removing it completely. It wouldn't surprise me to see Ontario follow the lead of other provinces like BC (where I live) that has a cap on the EV incentives. In BC any EV costing more than 77k is not eligible for an incentive. If the Ontario Liberals feel like they are getting squeezed by the NCP, they may opt for something like that.

If I'm not mistaken, Ontario originally had a cap and then lifted it. It has been my hope recently (leading up to my first MS purchase) that BC would follow Ontario's lead, but maybe it'll go the other way. :(

Rebate forms submitted on Dec 19th as car was picked up on the 18th.

Received notice today that application is being processed as I was missing some documentation. A prompt reply with the requested information stated that my application will be completed immediately.

So essentially a month - give or take as I haven't gotten the funds yet - but still very surprising to even hear its being worked on given what I've been hearing in terms of processing times.

Reactions: Falkirk and Scott_K
I hope your rebate comes faster than mine...
I picked up my Model S on Sept 30
Rebate was approved Jan 3
I was told yesterday that it takes 3 weeks to issue the payment and 3 more weeks for it to reach your direct deposit account.....and they have already missed the target for issuing the rebate!
Another example of Ontario government inefficiency.