Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario licence plate changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Bandit front plate mount but I wouldn't mind removing it for a cleaner front look if this comes to fruition.

I'd much better it happens under better governance though.

2634E9DC-A20F-4072-A53A-738DA3BF7317.jpeg

Reactions: 03DSG
I’m pretty sure that they will be issuing as many tickets as they can before the bill comes into effect.
Can’t wait for what he has instore for passanger vehicles. I hope it’s ‘Ford Nation’ because that would be appropriate.
Green vehicles should have a cannabis leaf on them as a symbol!
And once they open the new ‘Rob Ford safe injection sites and needle exchange’ in premium real estate locations, the next government can start a ‘Make Ontario Great Again’ campaign.

MOGA MOGA MOGA! :rolleyes: Not hard when everything's gone to *sugar* lol

Looks aside I think that front plates are really important. I also think that they need to start regulating all the tinted out license plate covers that are everywhere these days ... the plates are on the car so that your vehicle can be identified if/when it needs to, like if you're driving like a jerk and cause an accident, a hit and run, etc. Not having plates visible front and back and/or allowing them to be covered with stuff so dark that they are unreadable is a dis-service to everyone on the road.

Reactions: mrElbe
Looks aside I think that front plates are really important. I also think that they need to start regulating all the tinted out license plate covers that are everywhere these days ... the plates are on the car so that your vehicle can be identified if/when it needs to, like if you're driving like a jerk and cause an accident, a hit and run, etc. Not having plates visible front and back and/or allowing them to be covered with stuff so dark that they are unreadable is a dis-service to everyone on the road.
Good point. How will Sentry mode identify those people banging in to cars in parking lots with the front plate missing?

If you are relying on a number plate to solve all those issues then you have a lot more faith in a piece of tin than I do.

Not relying on the plate to solve the issue by any means, but it's a least something to start with and it's the law ... I see plates covered by material so dark on a daily basis that even when it's parked in a parking lot it's very hard to read when stationary, let alone moving or being captured on a dash cam, etc. It's the equivalent of walking around wearing a ski mask, which is also illegal here in Canada at least ...

I was thinking - if they do change the slogan and I don't like it, can I stick something I prefer over the top of it, or are we not allowed to change any part of the plate?

Looks aside I think that front plates are really important. I also think that they need to start regulating all the tinted out license plate covers that are everywhere these days ...

Technically, nothing is allowed over the plate. Not even a clear cover or a frame.

Having said that, I see a lot of frames, covers and the like out there.

On a separate note, I'm not sure why so many are making a fuss over the slogan change. Plates have changed numerous times here in Ontario. Before "Yours to Discover", they used to say "Keep it Beautiful". Until last year, I still had a car with a "Keep it Beautiful" plate. I can even remember when we used to get new plates every year. They alternated between white on blue and blue on white.

Technically, nothing is allowed over the plate. Not even a clear cover or a frame.

On a separate note, I'm not sure why so many are making a fuss over the slogan change. Plates have changed numerous times here in Ontario. Before "Yours to Discover", they used to say "Keep it Beautiful". Until last year, I still had a car with a "Keep it Beautiful" plate. I can even remember when we used to get new plates every year. They alternated between white on blue and blue on white.

Service Ontario sells the clear plate covers. I always thought all covers were disallowed until I bought a set while renewing my sticker for my previous car.

The issue with the slogan change is the new proposed slogan is a personal campaign slogan for Doug Ford, not a reflection of the province as a whole. It's unnecessary and it costs tax payers money to implement. From a guy who is "for the people" that seems counter intuitive.

The current slogan has been in effect since the early 80s.

OK, Now you made me remember that I can remember when they alternated plate colours............And on top of that I just got my first OAS deposit............ :)

Service Ontario sells the clear plate covers. I always thought all covers were disallowed until I bought a set while renewing my sticker for my previous car.

Service Ontario is not the government. They are licensed to operate centers that issue plates, drivers licenses and such. Yes, they do sell the plate covers (seen them at my location too) but that has nothing to do with the legality of use in Ontario. FWIW, I use covers on my plates too.

The issue with the slogan change is the new proposed slogan is a personal campaign slogan for Doug Ford, not a reflection of the province as a whole. It's unnecessary and it costs tax payers money to implement. From a guy who is "for the people" that seems counter intuitive.

Unless they plan to recall all current plates and re-issue, I am not clear on how this costs the taxpayer money. They just start stamping out plates with the new slogan at some point, like they've done every other time it changed. And if they follow through with the elimination of front plates, that should save the taxpayer money over time.

Service Ontario is not the government. They are licensed to operate centers that issue plates, drivers licenses and such. Yes, they do sell the plate covers (seen them at my location too) but that has nothing to do with the legality of use in Ontario. FWIW, I use covers on my plates too.

Unless they plan to recall all current plates and re-issue, I am not clear on how this costs the taxpayer money. They just start stamping out plates with the new slogan at some point, like they've done every other time it changed. And if they follow through with the elimination of front plates, that should save the taxpayer money over time.

Seems pretty strange for an official representative of the government, Service Ontario, to be allowed to sell goods which are illegal to use. But I guess that's just par for the course for things these days.

Of course it costs money to start stamping out new plates. New molds/stamps need to be designed, made, tested, distributed and installed in the machines that manufacture the plates. It's not as simple as just changing the wording in photoshop. I'm drawing a blank as for a legitimate reason to change the slogan right now. Can you provide one? Genuinely curious.

Changing it to the personal campaign slogan of the current Premier is not a valid reason in my opinion. He already changed the border crossing signs with his slogan at a cost of over $100k to tax payers.

You are seriously ok with "Open For Business" on your plate?